Coffee Talk Writing

I Do Declare. Or Something.

20th November 2017

And so, this time last week I was sitting in a very accessible coffee shop in Edinburgh with two former colleagues I hadn’t seen in a while.

We were catching up before I realised they hadn’t seen Isla in a REALLY long time.

‘But I feel like I’m in your house every day,’ said one.

‘I look forward to your Isla posts every morning,’  said the other.  It’s a good thing I’m cross-eyed too, because I was able to look at them both at the same time.  Hi.

See, my daughter is three going on 35.  She gets her sarcasm from me, and every time I find myself saying, ‘I can’t believe you just said that,’ I post our conversation on Facebook, because she did say it, and I can kinda believe it.

‘You should write a book.’

I then launched into how NaNo wasn’t happening, how I felt I’d let down my blogger friends, because I’m the one who made them sign up, how I’m happiest when I’m writing but there’s NO TIME.  Because.  But.  And.

‘Uh huh.  Shut up and finish something by February.’

So, there’s that.

I’ve not so secretly wanted to put a collection of essays together since forever.  And real talk, I’d always thought that by now I’d have written a few novels.  But that would require y’know, actually finishing a few novels.

My fiction brain has kinda fizzled out, for about three years and five months.  Funny, that.

But I’ve been thinking about those essays.

About a kid who grew up to be someone who doesn’t really know where home is, but who knows what it means.  About someone who fits in everywhere and nowhere and gets along with everyone.  Mostly.  Everyone except Neil Diamond.

Someone who hates triumphing over any sort of fucking adversity, but prefers to work with it.

A sarcastic bitch with a heart of platinum.  Because gold is boring.

Or something.

That I can do.

youshouldbewriting

• Reply Carol 20th November 2017 at 5:53 pm

So then, “shut up and finish something by February”. Except, please don’t really shut up.

• Reply josypheen 20th November 2017 at 6:40 pm

That is really awesome advice though!

Plus, there is loooads of November left. You can always use it to start the essays that are brewing in the back of your mind.

The little Isla stories sound awesome too!

• Reply Lorna 20th November 2017 at 8:08 pm

Did you start #KeepWritingLorna? Keep going with that, ha! Most of the Isla talk is on my personal FB. You can add me, if you want. x

• Reply josypheen 20th November 2017 at 9:34 pm

YES! I should get that hashtag going again. 🙂

Oooh I can add you as a facebook pal as well. Sweet!

• Reply Becca Barracuda 21st November 2017 at 5:06 pm

I can attest to the fact that Isla is full of gems! I love it!

• Reply Bryntin 20th November 2017 at 7:11 pm

Oh.
    So some people plan stuff do they?
    Weird.

• Reply Lorna 21st November 2017 at 11:00 pm

Who knew?

• Reply Emilio Pasquale 20th November 2017 at 7:31 pm

Gold is boring? I like that! You really should just sit down and write. I was listening to a photography tutorial over the weekend and one gem they said was that you can not wait for the weekends to go out shooting. You have to make time every day. Everyone has ten minutes. Take ten minutes every day to write, to photograph, to enjoy whatever it is you enjoy! Have I done that yet? No. But I do have my camera with me every day. Now, if I could just find the time!

• Reply SickChristine 20th November 2017 at 8:03 pm

I am so relieved you are sucking at NaNo because I am sucking at NaNo too!! I instantly feel less guilty. I’ll finish it at some point. I have a story that I think could be an entire book, but I won’t even be close to 50,000 words at the end of November.

• Reply Lorna 20th November 2017 at 8:05 pm

I love you a little more now.

• Reply Becca Barracuda 21st November 2017 at 5:05 pm

The only reason I’m doing ok with NaNo is because I am a total rebel and started November with over 30,000 words… If I were to have followed the rules, I’d be drowning in my own tears and wine. Currently, it’s just the latter.

• Reply Nicole 20th November 2017 at 8:07 pm

I am 32k into NaNo (only because I started the book in undergrad), and had high hopes of finishing this year. But…wedding. I did make incredible progress, though.

• Reply Lorna 20th November 2017 at 8:10 pm

Yes, wedding. I hear Scotland is ace for honeymoons, too.

• Reply Nicole 28th November 2017 at 2:49 pm

Oh, don’t I wish! But someday. (For both Scotland and the honeymoon. Because R doesn’t consider sharing a king bed with the kids a real honeymoon.)

• Reply TanGental 21st November 2017 at 1:13 am

ah you’ll get there; just remember when it says November is Nano it doesn’t say which November…

• Reply Allie P. 21st November 2017 at 5:40 pm

NaNo is like the line from Pirates of the Caribbean – it’s more of a guideline. I think its better that you are still pushing forward with a better-for-you goal.

• Reply ChrisWWerner 22nd November 2017 at 3:40 am

What are you doing reading this comment? Get back to writing!! 😀

Thanks for writing!
    C. W.

• Reply achildof 22nd November 2017 at 5:48 pm

I love your humour. Always makes me smile, your daughter must keep you in stitches ( the good kind )! I struggle with making time to write, with thinking what I am writing is worth posting, then I think to myself – write for me not anyone else… Please don’t stop posting – I love love the laughs and perspective you have 😉