Uncategorized

Channel Hopping

10th July 2012

Best laid plans of mice and me sometimes end up on the couch.  I didn’t make it to Dad’s today.  His instructions on the phone this afternoon?  ‘Wrap your menstrual hormones around some ice cream.  I’m going back to bed.’  My response?  ‘Why are you so NICE to me?’  And then I ate half a bag of Doritos.  Because I could.  It was mostly air, anyway.  And because we’re out of Ben & Jerry’s.  And because Mint Chocolate Chunk™ is not available in the UK.  Help that cause here.

Anyway, I spent most of the weekend reading and watching television.  I don’t watch much TV anymore, if it isn’t The Big Bang Theory.  However, I find myself recently fond of Revenge.  I cannot figure out whether this is because or in spite of Madeleine Stowe. After I caught up with that, I hopped a little and watched my first ever 20 minutes of The Real Housewives of New York.  20 minutes too long?  Maybe.  And then Sarge came home from helping some friends move house.  I admitted that I watched all or part of these shows, insisting that we improve the state of my brain by watching a thought-provoking film.  We chose This is Spinal Tap.  Then we watched the full-length extras.

On Sunday, I stretched myself by watching Federer win the Wimbledon Final.  Just in time to watch Ghostbusters.

On Monday, I took a break from this brain-freeze, which I blame fully on Lorna’s Festival of Cramps.  I was at the Jobcentre.  Because I need another day-job.

Reading The Best of Everything, which is about women who have day-jobs, is not the same as having one myself.

What’s your favourite guilty pleasure TV show?  Your secret is safe with me.

Ben & Jerry's

I need more of this in my freezer. Ben & Jerry’s (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

• Reply Sundry 10th July 2012 at 5:17 pm

Hmm. I mostly try to watch stuff I don’t have to feel guilty about but… Yeah, okay. I probably watch more of Rizzoli & Isles than I would like to admit. I like their dynamic. Except when it gets too cute or stupid. But yeah, Rizzoli & Isles.

• Reply mylifeisthebestlife 10th July 2012 at 5:45 pm

More than anything in the world, I miss Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I remember when the last episode aired, I sat on my couch for a good 45 minutes after it was over thinking, “now what?” It had been my Saturday night date with a bag of Cheetos for years…

• Reply kizzylee 10th July 2012 at 6:38 pm

hiya lovely and i have to confess my fave show that is my guilty pleasure has to be little house on the prairie 🙂 i have watched it for years and it has become something of a ritual on our home my kids know if its sunday its little house day 🙂 and it even saved my marriage once but thats a story for another day 🙂 have a super day 🙂 xx

• Reply Oh God, My Wife Is German 10th July 2012 at 6:39 pm

Great post! Thank you for sharing!

… following your blog …

– Oh God, My Wife Is German.

• Reply thoughtsappear 10th July 2012 at 6:47 pm

You don’t get all the B&J’s flavors? ::sniffle, sniffle::

• Reply Lucy 10th July 2012 at 6:55 pm

Fun post! My latest TV guilty pleasures are Drop Dead Diva and Jane by Design. Both are so cute and fun 🙂 I’ve heard good things about Big Bang Theory too. Why am I craving doritos and ice cream now? hmm…

• Reply Heather 10th July 2012 at 6:58 pm

We ditched our cable subscription a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back, so my guilty pleasure is perusing the Daily Mail for celebrity gossip.
    “It goes up to eleven.” 🙂

• Reply heylookawriterfellow 10th July 2012 at 8:01 pm

I used to be a big fan of The Biggest Loser. Then, one evening, after I finished watching the show’s 50-hour-long season finale, I sat back and mentally calculated how many hours I wasted listening to contestants whining and trainers yelling.

It was a painfully large number. Large like a contestant’s starting weight. Too large.

So I quit cold turkey. Those big people call fall off their treadmills without me.

• Reply becomingcliche 10th July 2012 at 9:08 pm

I used to watch Toddlers and Tiaras when it was available for streaming. I always felt a little better as a parent after a half hour of watching moms buy fake teeth for their kindergarteners.

• Reply GrumpyITGuy 10th July 2012 at 9:31 pm

*Sigh*. Ok, fine. True Blood. There I said it.

• Reply DB York 11th July 2012 at 12:43 am

Gangland 🙂 True crime stuff in general but Gangland in particular. Watching on Netflix right now actually 🙂

• Reply Cheri 11th July 2012 at 6:47 am

Oh, I love BBT. But then, I really love TV in general. I’m sure a lot of the stuff I watch should fall into the category of “guilty pleasure”, but it doesn’t, because I’ve got no guilt about it at all! Pure entertainment, TV is for me. I just did a post about my current favorite show–White Collar. Even TV Guide usually refers to that program as a guilty pleasure, but I guess I have no shame. 😉

• Reply writecrites 14th July 2012 at 4:14 am

Anything that involves murder and investigation. but then it’s not really a guilty pleasure, is it because it’s research for my mystery novel in progress: CSI, Rizzoli & Isles, the Mentalist, etc. And especially the ones that have some humor between the characters. Ok, I like White Collar, too.