Humor Life

Who Else Is Me?

16th November 2012

And so, (more than) a few days ago, I might have mentioned a new post tomorrow.  Tomorrow is today.  Since my last post, I’ve been trying to get myself a job.  And now I have one.  It’s a temp job, but it’s a mighty nifty one.

I start on Monday.  The journey has been an interesting one.  On the day of my phone interview, I camped by the phone, practicing my phone voice by well, talking to myself.

You know when you’re staring at the phone, and it doesn’t ring?  And you might go on Facebook and feed some red goats and then watch Judge Judy, and it still doesn’t ring.  And you think:  maybe it’s not working?

But it has to be.  On the one day you are expecting a call from someone who isn’t either of your parents, of course it’s working.  And then you check it , just to be sure.  And it ISN’T WORKING?  Yep.  That happened.  And the phone interview happened the next day.

After the interview, I phoned my mother.

‘Hello, it’s me.’

‘Lorna?’

‘Who else is me?’

‘I didn’t recognise your voice.’

‘That’s my work voice.’

‘How nice.’

The phone interview, once it happened, was successful.  The next stage was a (really long) second interview day.  Somewhere between the tech test and the competency-based interview questions, I got stuck in the bathroom, the wheels wedged between the door and the ‘accessible’ stall that actually wasn’t.  I got in, so I got out again, by driving backwards.

The last time I got stuck in a bathroom, I got free beer.  This time, I got a job.  Although, I like to think I got it on my own merits, my skills outside the bathroom.

I’m enjoying my last days of freedom by reading books, writing one and watching daytime TV while I still can.  Of course, yesterday would be the day I realised that Ellen airs here.  I wish I’d known this months ago.  I could have danced through unemployment.

Speaking of being understood, and Ellen, here’s a clip of The Accent Game.  Note what Meryl says about the hat:

Happy Tenuous Link Friday, people!

• Reply limebirdwriters 16th November 2012 at 11:56 am

Wait.. what!? Ellen airs here? What channel! I have to resort to watching clips online!

PS – Congrats on the job, what’s it doing? 🙂

• Reply LKD 16th November 2012 at 12:06 pm

Customer service, hence the phone voice, ha!

Ellen is on at 4pm on really. The episodes are more up- to- date than the clip!

• Reply limebirdwriters 16th November 2012 at 12:10 pm

Wow, that is awesome! I don’t have really though I don’t think 🙁 I’ll just keep watching on you tube!

• Reply LKD 16th November 2012 at 12:17 pm

I’m kind of embarrassed we have it. 😉 I was flipping around yesterday and actually said ‘wait, what?’ when I found Ellen.

• Reply sharechair 16th November 2012 at 12:03 pm

hey! Congratulations! Love Ellen. She is a DVR regular in this house. 🙂

• Reply LKD 16th November 2012 at 12:12 pm

Thank you!

• Reply broadsideblog 16th November 2012 at 1:49 pm

Congrats! Best of luck on the job.

• Reply LKD 16th November 2012 at 1:53 pm

Thank you, Caitlin! I thought of you and your book when I got it. 🙂

• Reply pamasaurus 16th November 2012 at 2:15 pm

Congrats on your employment! Sounds like getting stuck in the bathroom is sort of your good luck charm 😀

• Reply Sundry 16th November 2012 at 3:36 pm

Congratulations! What a great gig! Very happy for you, LKD!

• Reply urbannight 16th November 2012 at 3:57 pm

Ah, customer service. Where you get trapped at a desk all day even thought the company says you need to get up and move around every half hour. When trapped by phones, that never happens. No wonder I gained 35 lbs once we moved to the new office. The restructure made me a dedicated phone person rather than half a day, every day, only on every other week. It’s not so bad, except for the people to act like I’m an idiot for asking for their policy or claim number. Do they think I read minds over the phone? Probably. Have fun with it. Because sometimes it can be fun.

• Reply Heather 16th November 2012 at 5:19 pm

Congratulations on getting out of the bathroom. And your new job – also that 🙂 Thanks for sharing the Ellen clip. We only get Netflix now, and she’s always been a favorite.

• Reply Madame Weebles 16th November 2012 at 6:43 pm

Hooray for a new job! Congratulations! At least now you already have some experience with their bathrooms, so you know how to navigate them. And enjoy your final hours of unemployment!

• Reply LKD 16th November 2012 at 7:00 pm

Should say that the bathroom was at the places the temp agency rented for assessments, I think.

The place I’ll be working is accessible.

• Reply Madame Weebles 16th November 2012 at 7:24 pm

That’s good. That’s weird that an agency wouldn’t be accessible too; you’d think they would want to accommodate people. But hey, that’s just me.

• Reply LKD 16th November 2012 at 7:32 pm

Every person I’ve dealt with so far has been positive/helpful, and that’s more than half of it. Really looking forward to this new gig!

• Reply RuthG 16th November 2012 at 9:01 pm

Yay, congrats on your job!

• Reply Amy @ Mommy Rodeo 17th November 2012 at 2:16 pm

Ha. First time on your blog and took me a minute to figure out you’re a wheelchair user – what with getting stuck in the bathroom and all. Congrats on the job. My email is what always fails me when I seem to need it most – and mostly for work. Glad you made it out of the bathroom! Visiting from SITS

• Reply Leelee Writes (@leeleegirl4) 17th November 2012 at 2:33 pm

Congrats on the new job.

• Reply Robin Reed Grosland 17th November 2012 at 5:13 pm

Congratulations and best wishes on the new job. I hope it’s a perfect fit.

Happy Sharefest. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

• Reply thoughtsappear 20th November 2012 at 6:13 pm

Congratulations on the job! I hope your first few days have been going well!

• Reply Gabi Coatsworth 21st November 2012 at 6:53 am

Let us know how it goes at work 🙂

• Reply Jackie Cangro 24th November 2012 at 2:34 am

Congrats! I hope you’re enjoying the new job.

Getting stuck in the bathroom = new job. Sounds like a good trade off. Hope it was a nicer bathroom than the one at my office. Blech.

• Reply Naomi Baltuck 28th November 2012 at 12:18 am

Good luck with your new job! Fun post.