Coffee Talk How Mama Rolls Humor Life Shots Writing

Is It Just Me?

20th February 2015

Imagine, if you will, a time when you wore something other than sweatpants.  You went to meetings, you had a ‘phone voice’, you had ‘Things To Do’ on  a list.  On your desk.  A desk that wasn’t in your house.  You may have even had a boss.

A boss who had more than one tooth.

And now, Fridays aren’t the same.  The closest thing you have to meetings is cake time with other mothers.  There is a lot of cake.  Remember when you didn’t like cake?

Now, you have an Elmo voice.  That voice makes your kid laugh.  Your other voice says, ‘please don’t put that in your mouth’ and ‘Dude, why are you in the rubbish?’

Fun was maybe going to the movies.  Or the pub.  Or both.  Because you could.  Now, movies live in the Netflix.  And you are asked to leave the pub, because the sleeping child strapped to your chest isn’t allowed in.

Because maybe she’ll wake up and bite people with the one tooth in her head.

But I digress.

My point is this.  Fun is different now.  Fun is simpler.

Fun is putting your underwear on your kid’s head.  And a pair of sunglasses.  Just, y’know, so the underwear doesn’t fall off.

That’s what fun is.

Or is that just fun for me?

IMG_0727

My very patient child.  Channelling Sophia Petrillo.  Or something.

And so. what do YOU do for fun?

• Reply Nicole 20th February 2015 at 3:32 pm

From the day my daughter was born, she had crazy fluffy hair. If you didn’t put something in it to weigh it down after washing, it would stick straight out like duck fuzz. I solved the problem by putting a tiny drop of lotion in it and combing it flat. But before I combed it, I would give her fauxhawks, Beetlejuice hair, horns, etc., and take pictures. She thought it was weird, but didn’t object. Those are some of my favorite pics of her.

I don’t have to do stuff like that now; she does it for me. Three is a fun age.

As for the rest…well, I still work, and I don’t get a lot of time (okay, any) with other moms. But the rest certainly applies. Particularly the Netflix part. I can’t imagine doing this gig without Netflix — and before I gave birth, I barely watched TV!

• Reply LKD 20th February 2015 at 8:58 pm

I’m looking forward to 3. And 2. And 1. And tomorrow.

And TV is a relatively new thing for me, too. After cake meetings I’m like, ‘Wanna watch The Good Wife?!’

• Reply Sundry 20th February 2015 at 6:23 pm

Okay, it’s decided. This is how I’m going to dress to watch the Oscars.

• Reply LKD 20th February 2015 at 9:01 pm

Ha! And please tell anyone who cares that your ensemble is not inspired by Audrey or Grace, but by Isla.

• Reply M.A. 20th February 2015 at 9:40 pm

I’m going to be honest and try not to be a downer. Being a stay-at-home with kid #4 (daughter #1) definitely has its times of “isn’t this child beautiful and brilliant and screwy” fun. She and her 6-year-old brother amaze and amuse me all the time. Not so much when she asks for a banana, then screams “I don’t want a banana” when I bring her the banana I just peeled for her. Though even that entertains in a “my child is in training to perform psychological torture” kind of way. But true fun for me? A couple of hours on a weekend afternoon with my wife and the kids gone shopping, during which I can a) watch a film, b) read, c) let loose the accumulating legions of fiction ideas populating my head, however briefly, or even d) sit in silence paralyzed with indecision about which of the other three to choose while my precious time as a temporarily unencumbered adult swiftly evaporates. To be clear, I love and appreciate the life I am privileged to enjoy. But for a vacation, I would seize three hours a day of silent solitude over any exotic you could offer me. It is terrible to say but true because I am a selfish bastard. Sorry.
    Oh, and I made a rule that unless I’m going to the gym, I have to wear actual pants (not sweatpants) every day.
    Thanks for the opportunity to confess my flaws.

• Reply notesfromrumbleycottage 21st February 2015 at 12:16 am

I think fun has slowly evolved for me. Tonight is Pizza and Movie Night at our house. We will have pizza and watch an old movie. Sometimes we watch the latest animation flick. It is one of the few times we sit as a family and the dog joins us.

• Reply Carol 21st February 2015 at 1:01 am

Keep in mind as you adorn your daughter with underwear and sunglasses that she will grow up and when she does – she. Will. Pay. You. Back. In spades. But in the meantime, she is just so darn cute!

• Reply LKD 22nd February 2015 at 12:09 am

Looking forward to payback, too!

• Reply urbannight 25th February 2015 at 4:05 pm

At least the underwear hat looks adorable on her. Purple is her color.

• Reply Kev 12th March 2015 at 11:29 pm

I’m a single dude with no kids but you really showed me a glimpse of your experience in a few very funny words–I think that’s the power of a great blog post!