Humor Isla Says Life

Conversations With My Kid

29th November 2017

Isla talks non-stop. Not her fault, she’s my kid.

Sometimes, I post our conversations on Facebook.

What follows is a collection of actual conversations with my three year-old daughter.  All of these are unprompted.  She has my sarcastic genes.

Isla: Mumma, you’re cheeky. And you’re also kind of cute.
Me: Day made?

Isla on Hallowe’en…

‘Mumma, we got a pumpkin.’
‘You’re MY pumpkin.’
‘I know dat. But we got a real one from the shops.’

Isla on the rules…

Me: May I play with you?
Isla: No, because this game is for kids. But you can keep doing that thing with my hair. Because it’s nice.
Me: Oh, good.

Isla on interior design…

Me: *side-eye* What are you doing?
Isla: Drawin’ on the wall.
Me: Why?
Isla: Because I want to brighten up the place.
Me: Fair point.

Isla on ageism…

Isla: Please can I be six on my next burseday?

Isla at school pickup time…

Hello Mummy-babes!

Isla the threenager…

Isla just looked at me, ‘Mum, get out of my room,’ she says.

Isla on when I need help with some stuff…

Isla: I like when Aunties come and help us, but I like when they go home and Daddy’s still at work and it’s just us. We make a good team, Mummy.

Isla calling me out…

Me: Isla get down, please.
*5 seconds later*
Isla: Mummy, why did you say ‘get down, get funky’?

Isla angling for snacks…

Isla: Mum, if you don’t like this we can change it.
Me: Why?
Isla: Because you’re so nice.
Me: Why?
Isla: Chocolate.

and again…

Isla: Is there more crisps?
Me: Nope.
Isla: Is there crumbs?
Me: What are you, Oliver Twist?

Isla: Mummy funny. Ha. Ha.

Isla on affection…

Me: Can I just do one thing?
Isla: Squeeze my face?
Me: Yes!
Isla: Cool!

and sharing…

Isla and I were hanging out before she got dressed for school one day/every day, and she starts to stroke my face.

Me: Oh, that’s nice. How nice is that?
Isla: I’m not bein’ nice. I’m just wipin’ my crumbs on you.
Me: That, too.

And zinging…

That time when Isla and I were waiting in the hallway for Neil to get out of work.

Me: When I was in school all the cool kids hung out in the hallway.
Isla: Did you see them?
Me: Yes. Yes, I did.

and progression…

Isla: Mumma, you’re cheeky. And you’re also kind of cute.
Me: Day made?

Me: Isla, you are BEAUTIFUL.
Isla: Well, Mum, you’re BEAUTIFULLER.
*shared to show graduation from ‘kind of cute’.

and everything…

Me: I love you, Isla.
Isla: I know it, Mumma. I yove you, too.

What’s the funniest thing your kids have said lately?

She gets her sarcasm and fashion sense from me.

• Reply Giggling Fattie 29th November 2017 at 2:46 pm

I’m a nanny so I get to hear some crazy things, but all my kids are older. The youngest is 8. I have been told that my laugh sounds like a marshmallow. I’m not sure what that means exactly but I’m taking it as a compliment.

• Reply Lorna 29th November 2017 at 6:16 pm

I can picture/hear that perfectly and it sounds groovy!

• Reply Liesbet 29th November 2017 at 11:57 pm

Very cute! Kids are so clever. I don’t have any of my own, but I have read some hilarious exchanges… 🙂

• Reply Mandi 30th November 2017 at 5:35 am

That’s just so cute. Also the outfit is very hip! Sounds like you got a real adorable smart girl there!

• Reply Sonia Cave 30th November 2017 at 12:52 pm

aaahhhh so cute. I wish I could remember all the lovely things my three say all the time 🙂

• Reply Emma 30th November 2017 at 1:05 pm

Children say the funniest things! I love the little conversations I can now have with my 3 year old… such fun!

• Reply kiwinana 30th November 2017 at 11:09 pm

Hi I have nominated your site for the Liebster Award, you always bring a smile to my face while reading your posts.
    You don’t have to do anything about, it’s entirely up to you.
    Here is the link. – https://ramblingsofawriter2016.com/2017/12/01/liebster-award-5/

• Reply Actually Mummy 1st December 2017 at 12:24 am

I absolutely adore the cute and funny things little kids say. It’s the whole reason I started my blog! She sounds adorable x

• Reply Bookstooge 1st December 2017 at 12:35 am

I just re-followed you on wordpress and the feed still shows your last post was 4 days ago, instead of the most recent…

• Reply Lorna 1st December 2017 at 2:14 pm

I should be connected to the Reader, but I’m having issues with Jetpack, waiting on a support email. Thank you for checking in. The Why I Switched post is next week, ha.

• Reply Bookstooge 1st December 2017 at 5:05 pm

I am glad to watch you go through this so I have an idea of what I might be facing if I ever decide to go straight up dotcom.

Best of luck 🙂

• Reply Lorna 2nd December 2017 at 9:55 am

Generally I’m very happy already, and would recommend it!

• Bookstooge 2nd December 2017 at 12:52 pm

Your comment is not showing up onsite, nor is the one I left when I commented directly on your site.
            Just as an fyi…

• Reply Miranda-Anosa @AJD (@MyraBev) 1st December 2017 at 8:12 am

I am not yet a mommy but I have experienced some of this with my little cousins. Their parents also get to tell us during our get togethers about their kids crazy thoughts. Haha! Still, its fun talking to them.

• Reply Nadia 1st December 2017 at 9:09 am

Aw, this was a great read. Kids really do say the funniest things.

• Reply Claire justine 1st December 2017 at 9:55 am

Aww bless 🙂 Kids say some of the loveliest things and funniest don’t they.

I remember my Son when he was little putting a kiwi under his little sisters pillow. I was so mad at him when I found it in the morning and when i asked he why, he replied ” Because I didn’t want the tooth fairy to have too much sugar. All 3 of fell to the floor laughing.

• Reply Kasia Olszewski 1st December 2017 at 3:01 pm

This is just the cutest post ever!

• Reply ktsherman72 1st December 2017 at 3:06 pm

LOL! Kids are great, aren’t they?

• Reply London-Unattached.com 2nd December 2017 at 9:41 am

Awww, you don’t need any other kind of entertainment do you! I love ‘brightening up the place’ !!

• Reply Lorna 2nd December 2017 at 9:53 am

Seriously, every day is something new!

• Reply Bryntin 2nd December 2017 at 10:03 am

I’m afraid my old memory cell doesn’t stretch back long enough to remember when my kids were cute. I’m sure they must have been though, otherwise I woudn’t still be putting up with them.

• Reply fancypaperblog 2nd December 2017 at 10:26 am

The sweetest chats😁 Gigi had tears at half nine this morning looking for her Christmas dinner

• Reply thatblogwherecheriemovestogermany 2nd December 2017 at 10:39 am

Aww, she is so sweet. My kids were sweet once. That sweetness from their childhoods is what keeps us as moms from throwing them to the wolves when they are teens.

• Reply Gloria 2nd December 2017 at 10:53 am

Aw….so cute!

• Reply Bookstooge 2nd December 2017 at 12:50 pm

A couple more things, if you don’t mind (well, even if you do, sorry)

When you replied to my “best of luck” reply, it showed up over on wordpress notification, but not here. In fact, I don’t see your response anywhere here onsite.
    Second, when I clicked on your avatar/name in the notification area, there was no link. Your avatar is correct and your name is correct, just no links attached to them.

Maybe that’s all stuff being addressed? Just letting you know it is happening.

• Reply Lorna 2nd December 2017 at 7:13 pm

The old site is now just re-direct to this one (https://ginlemenade.com) I should still appear in the reader, but it can now take up to 24 hours to sync up, I think that goes for your replies through the notifications as well (email notifications are automatic – if you think I’m that interesting, ha!) I’ll have a look and update my profile shiznic, too. Thanks for keeping me up to date on reader experience stuff. I really do care.

• Reply anhistorianabouttown 2nd December 2017 at 1:28 pm

My two year old nephew is tired of having eyes. I mean, I’m getting over a sinus infection so I’m pretty tired of having a nose. Seems sound logic!

• Reply Lorna 8th December 2017 at 12:32 pm

That’s really cute. Isla has a cold just now, and she regularly requests that I take her nose off.

• Reply rachaelstray 2nd December 2017 at 3:21 pm

The cool kids in the hallway one got me big time. I love these kind of posts. The conversations we have with our niece are like this.

• Reply Lorna 2nd December 2017 at 7:32 pm

That one was actually my favourite, too. Kinda like a Baby Breakfast Club.

• Reply Melissa 2nd December 2017 at 4:10 pm

Ha! I will be making use of “burseday”. These kinds of convos will continue well into adulthood. I’m always telling my friends about the things my mom says to me and vice versa.

• Reply gemmaorton 2nd December 2017 at 9:39 pm

Isla is right, you certainly make a good team! I cant wait for Isla’s book or blog. She does make me chuckle!

• Reply Lorna 2nd December 2017 at 9:44 pm

We should take it on the road to visit you!

• Reply gemmaorton 3rd December 2017 at 12:59 pm

Most definitely!

• Reply drallisonbrown 3rd December 2017 at 1:23 am

OMG! Soooo cute! I’d have to pull out my journals to find some of those gems, as my kiddos are now 18 and 19. Your conversation “captions” are quite witty, too, btw…

• Reply Katie 3rd December 2017 at 1:39 am

She is such a firecracker! ❤️

• Reply Cathy Glynn 3rd December 2017 at 8:16 am

Oh bless her, I love the things they come out with x

• Reply Suz 3rd December 2017 at 12:46 pm

Haha!! She’s a legend! Hey mummy babes! Love it. Can’t wait for my boy to really start talking. Great post idea, it’ll be so fun reading through them with her one day when she’s grown xx

• Reply Lorna 3rd December 2017 at 12:52 pm

Now whenever she says something funny, basically all the time, she looks at me sideways and asks if I’m gonna share it with my fwends.

• Reply angelanoelauthor 3rd December 2017 at 4:06 pm

I love these here and on Facebook. Isla is a wise and funny one! Of course, I can’t think of any great quotes from my kiddo at the moment. But recording them is so important. I know I’ve posted a few on Facebook over the years and now want to go back and look through all the posts. These little moments are so precious.

• Reply Kira 4th December 2017 at 7:12 am

Oh bless her , what a little cutie! – hello mummy babes 🙂

• Reply sarahwritesrxxi 4th December 2017 at 6:15 pm

Love the friendship you have with your daugther. She is beautiful. Do you know the meaning of the ISLA: is a piece of land in the middle of the ocean (I LOVE IT) is unique just like her.

• Reply Stephanie Moore 4th December 2017 at 9:20 pm

I wish I wrote down my kids funny things they said over the years, I forget them so easily! These are very cute

• Reply Zena's Suitcase 5th December 2017 at 8:29 pm

These are so cute. I love how kids see the world. I wish I’d have made a note of some of the things my kids have said over the years

• Reply Dr. Elise Cohen Ho 10th December 2017 at 12:02 am

She is adorable. This is a fun post. I am thinking back on some things my kids said when they were little.

• Reply David Jack Taylor 12th December 2017 at 11:05 am

Hahahaha awww love these, really reminds me of one particular god child of mine. “David where you going?”, “I’m going mad, that’s where I’m going!” “Oh good, can I come?”

• Reply Lorna 12th December 2017 at 11:09 am