100 Books Or Bust

100 Books Or Bust

13th January 2011

I eat books.  I am actually addicted to books, and reading them.  My two giant bookcases are three rows deep.  There is a stack by my bed, and in the office.  And at least four books on any other free surface in the house.  I put them there, anywhere, when deciding ‘what to read next’, and I don’t put them back, leading to quite random clusters throughout the house.  Sarge calls me the book-dropper, he can find me anywhere by following the trail of books.  I call him the book dealer, as we now share books and I have his collection to peruse.

Before the bookcases!

I am slightly obsessed with lists of books, like the New York Times 100 Notable Books of any given year, or the Man Booker Prize shortlist (and longlist), and the Orange Prize for Fiction.  And every time I read about a good book on NPR books, I want to read it Right Now.

With those lists, and my favourite authors, and my book group books, and Sarge’s books, and my thing for well-written memoirs, I am sure that I will reach a 100 books read in a year.  This is a target I’ve been setting myself since 2006.  Last year I read 28.  This year I will read 100.  I’ve set myself this personal challenge on Goodreads.  I typed ‘100’ where it said: ‘I will read ___ books this year.’ So there it is.

So far this year I’ve read:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – After years of saying I wouldn’t read the series, I’m now reading it.

The Lacuna – My favourite book of the year, so far.

Currently reading The Slap, which I keep calling ‘The Bitch Slap’.

On deck we have:

Let The Right One In

The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet

And after that, who knows?  Everything else!

What books would you recommend I read?

What are your reading goals for 2011?

Anyone else up for the challenge of 100?  Or 50, or 25?  Or 10?

Happy reading!

• Reply CultureChoc2010 14th January 2011 at 12:48 am

I just finished Neon Angel – because I like biographies and the Runaways bring back memories for me. I’m currently reading Contes du Jour et de la Nuit by Guy de Maupassant. I’m currently reading Le Père – so melodic and well written. I try to read a book in its original language – the French is so beautiful. I love the classics.

• Reply LKD 17th January 2011 at 4:58 pm

I shall have to look up the books you mention! Thank you for the suggestions!

• Reply This Italian Family 14th January 2011 at 2:30 am

My husband’s challenge to himself for this year is to read 3 books. Yes, for the entire year. You have to understand, the man doesn’t read. Ever. He’s always hated it. He reads news articles and politics and works with numbers all day, but sitting down and reading a book… just not his thing. So he’s challenged himself to read 3. He’s already finished one so I have a feeling he won’t start the next one until sometime this summer, haha!

• Reply ohemgillie 14th January 2011 at 7:06 am

I’d be happy to finish any books this year! I had a really admirable goal of choosing 10 books I absolutely wanted to finish this year, plus any others that caught my eye. But now, I’ve taken on the Herculean task of applying to grad school, so if I can get away from the exam books and the portfolio preparation, it’ll be nothing short of a miracle.

However, right now, I’m about halfway through Sandra Cisneros’ Woman Hollering Creek and it’s so beautiful.

• Reply LKD 17th January 2011 at 5:04 pm

I’ve heard good things about Sandra Cisneros, and I’ve wanted to read her for a long time. Perhaps I should start.

Good luck with the applications!

• Reply Marjory 14th January 2011 at 2:45 pm

Don’t know if you’ve ever read “Wicked”, the book from which the ghastly musical was appropriated. I found it difficult to read, but hard to put down. Also, the same author (Gregory Maguire) wrote a ‘prequel’ to the Cinderella story – “Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister”, as well as two sequels to “Wicked” (which I haven’t yet approached). I just love people who think beyond the story – “What happened before this?”, “What happened after this?”.

I’ll be interested to see what you have to say about the Potter books. I was enamored from the beginning. Have you seen any of the movies?

• Reply LKD 18th January 2011 at 4:48 pm

I’ve seen some of the movies. Really liking the books, for the fun they are. I’ve actually thought about reading Wicked et al for years, perhaps I should!

I love new takes on old stories, especially Greek Mythology.

• Reply thereadingdate 14th January 2011 at 6:20 pm

I share your addiction! I like the idea of reading off of the lists that you mentioned, and reading the HP books. I’m trying to read 100 books this year too, just barely made it last year. I’m sure you can do it!

I took a look at your goodreads shelf and saw Water for Elephants on your list. That is supposed to be a good one. I also loved If I Stay by Gayle Forman.

Have a great year of reading!

• Reply LKD 17th January 2011 at 5:06 pm

Thank you! You, too!

• Reply thoughtsappear 14th January 2011 at 8:23 pm

This looks oddly familiar. I bought a bookcase…it wasn’t big enough so I still have stacks.

• Reply LKD 17th January 2011 at 5:08 pm

Two bookcases are up now. I still have stacks! 😉

• Reply Sarah 15th January 2011 at 6:02 pm

Hmm. Not sure if our taste in books is that close! On the other hand, if Neil hasn’t read it yet, I suspect he’d really enjoy Anathem by Neal Stephenson 🙂

• Reply LKD 17th January 2011 at 5:09 pm

He says thank you, and wants to read it. 🙂

• Reply Carol 15th January 2011 at 7:35 pm

Our bookshelves got to the overload point and I have problems letting go. My kids got me a Nook for Christmas – a wonderful wonderful thing! Lots of books to buy, but also our library has e-books to download which can be read on the Nook (or other e-readers, but not Kindle).

• Reply Sath 18th January 2011 at 4:08 pm

We have a similar problem with books our house, every bookshelf is double lined with books, but I still have more in piles, and in boxes, and hidden away under the bed, and in the bathroom. I feel sorry for the books for not being revered as they should be!
    I would recommend to you, (as I do to everyone who asks for recs), my two favourite books of all time. Nineteen Eighty Four, by George Orwell, and The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver. And I should go off and get a copy of The Lacuna, since you liked it so much and I haven’t read it yet, and Barbara is such a good writer. 🙂

• Reply LKD 18th January 2011 at 4:43 pm

I read Prodigal Summer, years ago. I used to work with a girl who’d read The Poisonwood Bible every day. She left before I could borrow it. I’m still slightly bitter about that. 😉

I did love The Lacuna, though! Read it and let me know what you think!

• Reply DB York 20th January 2011 at 2:06 am

I’m doing 50 this year. I’ve so far read 2 – I Was Amelia Earhart by Jane Mendelsohn which I started recommending to everyone after I read 10 pages. I just finished Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death. I LOL’d. A lot. Really loudly. Do not read whilst drinking anything. 🙂

• Reply LKD 20th January 2011 at 10:05 pm

I just bought Amelia on your suggestion! Actually it was a trade since I sold a few! Which Notaro would you start with? Never read her, but I think I should!

• Reply Joseph Valacirca 25th January 2011 at 3:18 am

I am so happy that the both of you have discovered one of my favorite books. I was Amelia Earhart. So glad I had it for DB to borrow. Hope you enjoy it also.

• Reply Reading Through the Stacks: What’s In Your Fridge? « Gin & Lemonade 2nd February 2012 at 12:09 pm

[…] year, I declared 100 Books Or Bust.  After semi-regular updates on my progress, I stopped […]