Reading Through The Stacks

Reading Through The Stacks: The Reading Room

5th June 2012

Since the office/writing room/reading room has been reclaimed from the cat, my reading speed has improved.  I can read 376 words per minute.  Staples says so. What’s your reading speed?

Recent reads have been:

The Art of Fielding – I was right there with this, until the end.    That seems to be my go-to one-liner recently.  It just felt too neat.  More verbose ‘review’ may be coming soon!

Full Dark House – This one I got from a Goodreads group giveaway.  To me, the ending improved my reading experience.  I may send this one to my Mom.  The last book I sent her was Best In Show: Knit Your Own Dog.  Because it combines two of her favourite things.

The Invisible Circus – This one made me weep.  The last one to do that was The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

You and I –  There exists somewhere a recording of my Grandfather and his brother driving around Ohio putting the world to rights.  This book reminded me of that.  Awesome.

Current reads:

The Night Circus

Franny and Zooey

The Devotion of Suspect X

And on deck, we have:

A no longer empty shelf!

What are you reading?

What should I be reading?

• Reply thoughtsappear 5th June 2012 at 3:01 pm

I just finished reading The Cemetary Girl. It reminded me of the Jaycee Duggard story, but it kept me turning pages because I really wanted to know what happened.

Now I’m moving on to some Jodi Picoult books I missed.

• Reply LKD 5th June 2012 at 3:15 pm

I’ve only read one JP. Is one enough?

• Reply barefoot_med_student 5th June 2012 at 4:07 pm

I just finished “I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced”. It’s a gripping story and really short. Definitely worth the while. I’m also trying to read “The Scarlet Letter”, but that’s moving slowly.

• Reply LKD 6th June 2012 at 5:34 pm

I will definitely check that out. I like short, sharp books. And I’ve never read The Scarlet Letter, not even in school.

• Reply writecrites 5th June 2012 at 6:50 pm

I don’t know if you are a Mysteries fan (I am), but I have just finished Night on Fire by Douglas Corleone and liked it. It’s the second of a series of three mysteries set in Hawaii. Always a good surprise ending as to ‘who done it.’

• Reply LKD 6th June 2012 at 5:30 pm

I’ve been re-discovering my old love of mysteries, and I love a good series, Thanks for the suggestion!

• Reply Heather 5th June 2012 at 8:06 pm

I’m in the middle of not reading David Sedaris’ When You Are Engulfed In Flames. It’s funny, but the essay format keeps giving me reasons to walk away.

• Reply LKD 6th June 2012 at 2:24 pm

Funny, I’m reading his Naked at the moment, too. Have you read it?

• Reply Heather 6th June 2012 at 4:53 pm

I haven’t, but if I get through this pile of books my Atlanta, GA friends sent me home with last time I was there, I would consider it. I enjoy his writing style and sense of humor, but I am not compelled to complete a book of essays. I have the same problem with a collection by Barbara Kingsolver. I have read several – most I think – of her novels, but though I purchased the collection “Small Wonders” I haven’t read a page…in 7 years!

• Reply LKD 6th June 2012 at 5:27 pm

I read The Lacuna and LOVED it, her other stuff, no so much!

• Reply Karen 5th June 2012 at 11:13 pm

I am finally over the hump of The Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo and breezing through it now. The gawdawful name translation thing was wreaking havoc w/ my type A — I have to pronounce each word correctly — personality. I’m into the plot and really liking it. Next to read: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Heard only really good things about this true story. Happy reading!!

• Reply LKD 6th June 2012 at 2:22 pm

I LOVE the Millennium books, although I can’t bring myself to finish the last one! Glad you like it! Are you going to read the other two?

• Reply Karen 6th June 2012 at 9:29 pm

Yes. In fact I am going to run up to the book store tomorrow to pick them up!

• Reply LKD 6th June 2012 at 9:34 pm

Have the best of times!

• Reply organizedisland 6th June 2012 at 1:47 pm

It sounds like you read fast! How did you like the Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake? That book is on my list. I have a stack of books waiting to be read, but lately have spent a lot of time on-line. I found you on SITS.

• Reply LKD 6th June 2012 at 2:28 pm

I could always read faster, though! What are you reading at the moment? Lemon Cake kept me going, and then I found the ending really powerful. Good stuff.

• Reply verifiedkayo 6th June 2012 at 4:45 pm

Thanks for this list! I haven’t made my summer reading list yet (only been out of school a month–oops). Art of Fielding seems to keep popping up across the blogs!

If you’re looking for more, my top recommendations are always The Solace of Leaving Early, The Book Thief, and recently Ella Minnow Pea–a very quick read/satire about the deterioration of language.

• Reply LKD 6th June 2012 at 5:25 pm

I would totally recommend Art of Fielding. One of my favourites this year. Loved The Book Thief and Ella Minnow Pea. Read it when we first moved into this flat and had no internet access for two weeks. Very special place in my heart, that book.

• Reply verifiedkayo 7th June 2012 at 3:49 am

I loved it. A friend recommended it just a few months ago and as soon as I finished I was like, “WHY did it take you so long to tell me about this book?!” 🙂

• Reply Kate 6th June 2012 at 7:16 pm

I recently read “Brooklyn” by Colm Toibin, really enjoyed it. “The Girls” by Lori Lansens was excellent…. that was the last book that made me cry. I’ve just started “Everything Was Goodbye” by Gurjinder Basran, it’s too early in the book to really recommend it but so far I love it. I’ve been wondering about The Night Circus and The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake… adding them to my list now.

Really glad I found your blog today! Love the title, the book chat… and you’re in Scotland! I love Scotland too 🙂 I’ll be back!

• Reply Carolyn (@HookdandHappy) 7th June 2012 at 4:20 pm

I’m finishing the Orphan Master’s Son. Set in North Korea (the author visited and did a lot of research) it is a fascinating novel

• Reply becomingcliche 7th June 2012 at 8:03 pm

I’m reading “Love in the Time of Cholera.” It’s better than i though it would be.

• Reply LKD 10th June 2012 at 12:31 pm

I want to read that, but I COULD NOT get through …Years of Solitude. Have you read it?

• Reply katlupe 10th June 2012 at 1:57 pm

I am reading 1929 by M.L. Gardner. It is a novel about 3 couples in the 1929 stock market crash and how they went from living a lavish life to poverty and living in a ghetto in a matter of days.

• Reply calypte 10th June 2012 at 7:01 pm

Wow. 543. I am impressed at myself!! o_O

• Reply Gorging Myself on Books « MikesFilmTalk 21st June 2012 at 11:10 am

[…] Reading Through The Stacks: The Reading Room (ginlemonade.wordpress.com) […]