Books Sharing The Love

Lorna & The Book Hoard

4th September 2018
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.  And Gin & Lemonade is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk. If you make a purchase, I may make a commission at no extra cost to you.  All opinions are my own, and more info can be found here. Last week, I got an email from my best bookish friend, Danielle. What are you reading, she said. Write a book post, she said. Well. The thing is. I’ve read a total of nine books. This whole year. For someone with a book hoarding issue, that’s well, an issue. I love books. I love reading them. Sniffing them. Acquiring them. Books are my thing. The bookcases in my living room are triple-stacked. I have a book stack in my bedroom the size of a small island. There’s a stack in my kitchen and 800 on my Kindle. I recently upgraded to a Kindle Oasis, and Neil has my Paperwhite for all his geeky books. I converted him, you guys. I feel kinda bad about it. Read here about how I became a Kindle convert.

Not actually my books, but y’know. Photo by Florencia Viadana on Unsplash

My point is, my name is Lorna and I hoard books. And so, to declare in September that I’ve only read nine of those books this year, is kinda shitty. OK, maybe I’m writing more. Overthinking more. Blogging more. In fact, my most recent finished read is, The Essential Habits Of 6-Figure Bloggers: Secrets of 17 Successful Bloggers You Can Use to Build a Six-Figure Online Business.   This book, um, inspired my first review on Amazon.  5 stars. Because the secrets of 17 professional bloggers is a lot of information. It outlines actionable professional blogging habits, with full interviews and suggestions on further reading. Read and use this book with a notebook, several pens, and lots of coffee.  Each blogger shares their blogging tips and also suggests their favorite business books.  So, a great book to actually study, and more books to add to the TBR. If you want to buy the book, you get these bonuses for a limited time. And then there’s my book haul from our Edinburgh trip, which I haven’t even touched. The Last Poets Ladder of Years A Death In The Family Home Fire Have you read any of these? What are you reading now?     <div id=”amzn-assoc-ad-f6aecae9-71bb-4e2f-a2c2-dd1e17270539″></div><script async src=”//z-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/onejs?MarketPlace=US&adInstanceId=f6aecae9-71bb-4e2f-a2c2-dd1e17270539″></script>

• Reply achildof 4th September 2018 at 7:48 pm

I simply love books. I prefer the ones I can touch and hold however my Kindle is pricelss too. Helps my travelling bag feel less like a bag of rocks and more like the traveling bag it’s meant to be! I have been weening myself off book purchases this year as still in the middle of reading a few! Currently reading Escape by Carolyn Jessup, also reading The Bad Girls Guide to Getting What You Want. Just finished Glad one: Crazy is a Relative Term ( love love this book for so many reasons ). I could just go on and on as have a few various piles of books to read and list still on my Kindle 😉 I haven’t read any you have listed….yet!

• Reply Lorna 4th September 2018 at 8:29 pm

Crazy is a Relative Term sounds like my kinda book, ha! Hope you find something to enjoy on my list!

• Reply samfiftysomething 4th September 2018 at 7:56 pm

I wish I had more time to read! Have to admit though I have a kindle, (was a present), but I do prefer to have a proper book in my hand. I’m reading Ravens Gathering by Graeme Cumming at the moment and loving it and I do have a list of as long as my arm of books I want to read. Not read any of the books on your list, but will take a look 🙂

• Reply Lorna 4th September 2018 at 8:00 pm

Graeme as in Bash Graeme? How neat!

• Reply samfiftysomething 4th September 2018 at 10:36 pm

Yes! Not quite finished, but Totally recommend it! ?

• Reply Michelle - lazydayproject.com 4th September 2018 at 8:05 pm

I used to “collect” books but now I borrow them from the library in an effort to simplify, lol. So far it’s working out rally well! Though there are a few that I can’t bring myself to let go of yet 😉

I am just getting ready to read “Love, Rosie” by Cecilia Ahern (author of PS I Love You)

• Reply Lorna 4th September 2018 at 8:31 pm

Love, Rosie was actually really cute! I hope you enjoy it!

• Reply A Girl and Her Passport 4th September 2018 at 8:10 pm

I had this problem till I moved abroad. Now that I am traveling for several months I just give them away when I am done so I don’t have to move them to the next place. I miss them though!

• Reply Lorna 4th September 2018 at 8:33 pm

Yeah, I moved abroad and I still have that problem, ha!

• Reply Debbie Harris 4th September 2018 at 8:54 pm

How brave of you to confess! I love reading too and will read almost anything. I’m currently reading Beacon 23, I have a thing about sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian, time travel type books and find I get a run on reading them before moving onto something else like Scandi crime novels. I’m also reading an autobiography on Magda Szubanski called Reckoning, for our book club group this month. Not read any of the ones you mentioned but always happy for suggestions. You’ve just reminded me that I must update my reading page on my blog. Thanks!!

• Reply johnrieber 4th September 2018 at 9:17 pm

I just finished “Waiting”, about a professional Waitress who gives you the inside story of life as a server…and how the profession gets ZERO respect – it’s been out while, but a great read – and she’s gong on to publish more books as well so good for her! – https://johnrieber.com/2018/08/31/waiting-a-terrific-memoir-of-an-under-appreciated-profession-time-to-tip-better/

• Reply sarah9188 4th September 2018 at 9:27 pm

I work for a library, yet my list of books I’ve read this year is incredibly short and several of them are youth or teen books. I’ve been obsessed with podcasts lately which is part of the reason I’ve been woefully behind on my reading. (The other reason being Netflix.) I am planning on starting to read Scourged – the final book in Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid series. But I have a whole book shelf of books from the library that I need to read, let alone the stuff I have on my shelves. I’m listening to the podcast Stuff to Blow Your Mind and the latest one I’m listening to is one about squirrels being predators and it’s making me look at those tiny guys completely different now.

• Reply An Historian 5th September 2018 at 1:10 am

I’ve been reading in spurts- I’ve really been struggling with finding with finding a second book. I find one that I love and then…. nothing. I’ve done 41 of 52 book goal, but a lot of years I can reach 80+, so it has been a slower reading year for me. I am hoping next year I will enjoy more!

• Reply Reflections of an Untidy Mind 5th September 2018 at 1:14 am

One book a month is pretty good.

• Reply Lorna 5th September 2018 at 9:27 am

Truthfully, not for me, but hey.

• Reply rachaelstray 5th September 2018 at 9:27 am

I find I want to read more when the weather turns colder – cosying up under a blanket with a good book – perfect. I’ reading a mystery series about an amateur sleuth Missy Demeanour – easy reading.

Rachael | https://rachaelstray.com/

• Reply Lorna 5th September 2018 at 9:29 am

Ooh, if you like mysteries, I have suggestions! x

• Reply rachaelstray 5th September 2018 at 10:55 am

I do! Suggest away 🙂

• Reply Panaurawen 5th September 2018 at 4:20 pm

I completely sympathize with your feelings of only having read 9 books this year! I, too, am a book hoarder and lover of all things literature, yet I’m in much the same predicament. Working from home and taking care of an infant for much of this year has left little time for reading. What used to be hours of lying in bed, reading half a book or more in one sitting, has now turned into making it through half a page or so whenever I can grab a minute. It’s pretty disheartening. 🙁 But I truly believe we make time for the things we love, and so I’ve been trying to do this more. I wish the same for you! But if you’re satisfied with your writing and the progress you’ve made blogging (all while being present for your family), then you’re still a winner!

• Reply Jackie Cangro 5th September 2018 at 4:33 pm

I’ve got The Immortalists next up on my reading list. Either that or Little Fires Everywhere.
    I can’t decide! 🙂

• Reply Lorna 5th September 2018 at 4:38 pm

I LOVED The Immortalists!

• Reply Janet Givens 6th September 2018 at 10:56 pm

Thank you for sharing! I share your addiction and am thrilled to know I’m not alone. :). Thanks too for the link to the blogging book. I just added it to my Kindle. Now all I need it time. Does that come in a book?

• Reply Rhonda 8th September 2018 at 6:13 pm

I’m a big reader myself, Lorna. My taste in books is eclectic, like my taste in music and movies. Right now, I’m reading Angela’s Ashes. It’s the first major, highly-acclaimed book I’ve read since God knows when. And it’s fantastic. I say that because I swear I can hear the actual physical voice of the author and the characters as I am reading it.

• Reply You Can Always Start Now 9th September 2018 at 2:01 pm

I’m reading Louise Penny. She is Canada author that writes mysteries (series) that take place in Quebec.

• Reply Lorna 9th September 2018 at 2:04 pm

I have the first one too read on my Kindle. Super intrigued!

• Reply Miriam Joy 21st September 2018 at 4:26 pm

I’m working on reading more and acquiring less, or at least, not acquiring things I don’t intend to immediately read. Which, to be fair, isn’t exactly my problem (I tend to buy things I’ve already read, as and when I find them going cheap secondhand), but I still have more books than I know what to do with. Since I got into book photography, the temptation to just buy books (especially pretty ones) is even stronger. I actually wrote a post about it the other day (http://www.miriamjoywrites.com/2018/09/18/never-just-objects-finding-time-to-read/).

Currently, I’m re-reading Strange The Dreamer by Laini Taylor, because its sequel comes out in a couple of weeks and I wanted to make sure I remembered all the pertinent details. I’m also listening to The Subtle Knife on audio — again, something I’ve read before, but I use audiobooks to keep me sane at work and my library doesn’t have a huge selection.

• Reply Carol Cassara (@ccassara) 24th September 2018 at 3:42 pm

I love a good book list. If only I had time to read my own stacks, which rival yours!

• Reply Lorna 24th September 2018 at 3:44 pm

Maybe, but may entire living room is books. Three cases, triple-stacked.

• Reply observationsinretail 25th September 2018 at 1:56 am

Hoarding books has been proven to be beneficial for mental health. The more the merrier, I say!