Reading Through The Stacks

Reading Through the Stacks: Every Letter Was a Love Letter

8th May 2012

Yesterday was spent trading notes with Sarge to save his hay-fevered voice.  When was the last time you wrote a love note or letter?

Somewhere between note 1 and 17, I finished reading my 20th book of the year.

Recent reads have been:

The Marriage Plot – Read this in three days.  The first two I was right there with it.  Yesterday, not so much.  I was just happy to read complex sentences again.

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) – I read this because I have a not-so-new obsession with talked-about books.  I found myself counting the times Ana mentioned her inner goddess.  And then I lost it.  Perhaps the best thing about reading this was appreciating Ellen’s video.

The History of Love – I lived with this book.

The Shape Of Water – Must read all the others and catch up with the show.  Think I know what our next box-set will be.

Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6) – These haven’t become boring yet.  Predictable and comfortable, but not boring.

The Bees – Read this aloud, to myself.  In my living-room.  In honour of (inter)National (kinda) Poetry Month.  And to drown out the not-so dulcet tones of my upstairs neighbour.  The one who is constantly on the phone.  At that infuriating level that’s loud enough to be annoying, but too muffled to be useful in my writing.  Except to say it’s worse than a slow, tapping leak.

The Freedom Writers Diary – I got this because of my not-so recent obsession books on writing/books that encourage writing/books made into films.  And because I was looking for something else and found this on the way.  And then realised it was a book I’d wanted to read for a long time.  Everybody wins.

Previous books listed here.

What have you been reading?

The History of Love

The History of Love (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

• Reply limebirdbeth 8th May 2012 at 11:21 am

I just read ‘Deadlocked’ book 12 in Charlaine Harris’ Southern Vampire Mysteries series. loved all of the others, and this was no exception! Read in two days! :o) I’m just about to read ‘The Night Circus’.

• Reply LKD 8th May 2012 at 11:26 am

I really want to read The Night Circus! Let me know what you think when you’re done!

• Reply urbannight 8th May 2012 at 4:41 pm

I’m at Dead Reckoning. Since I always wait for paperback, I’m usually a year behind the people getting hard backs or the eReader versions. I admit confusion at the start of it. I thought I already read it. Then I realized it was the teaser at the end of the previous one. Not even half way through and I’m really eager for Deadlocked.

• Reply Eileen Riley 8th May 2012 at 11:26 am

I would love to say that I have been reading something deep and meaningful but… I am actually reading a series of detective stories by Susanna Gregory, about a medieval doctor and monk and set in Cambridge. I stumbled upon ‘A Plague on Both Your Houses’ and loved it. So much so that when I finished it the next day, I looked it up on Amazon to see if the author had written anything else. Imagine my complete delight when I found out that it was the first book in a series of 17. Yes, 17. And, apparently, she’s still going strong. I’m on book 10 now, so I hope she’s writing as we’re speaking. If only my pesky book club would stop trying to get me to read something edifying…

• Reply LKD 8th May 2012 at 11:39 am

Have you read An Instance of the Fingerpost? Sounds a bit like that series.

What is your book club reading now?

• Reply Eileen Riley 8th May 2012 at 11:43 am

No, I haven’t. But I just looked it up and I definitely will. Thanks. We are reading ‘Painter of Silence’ by Georgina Harding. I joined a book group so I would branch out from detective novels, and it has worked, at least once a month!

• Reply LKD 8th May 2012 at 11:48 am

The Shape of Water is the first in a series of detective novels, too. Wonderful stuff!

• Reply thoughtsappear 8th May 2012 at 3:00 pm

I’ve been meaning to read The Freedom Writers Diary. Now I’m reading Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by The Bloggess. It’s hilarious!

• Reply LKD 8th May 2012 at 4:10 pm

I love The Bloggess!

• Reply Carol 8th May 2012 at 3:49 pm

The first two you listed were books I’ve thought about reading, then decided not to, then thought about – so I’m glad you mentioned them because now I can settle on no. I’m currently reading The Story of Beautiful Girl – it’s pretty good, but not grabbing me in a way that makes my eyes want to stay open and continue reading. Next will be The Pact by Jodi Picoult – and later, someday, will be Hitlerland. And several others.

• Reply LKD 8th May 2012 at 4:10 pm

The Marriage Plot is definitely worth a read. I would hate to discourage any reading!

• Reply ser 8th May 2012 at 4:49 pm

‘the history of love’ is one of my favourite books of all time. glad you liked it! 🙂

• Reply LKD 8th May 2012 at 4:53 pm

Hello! I loved it. I also loved Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, You can tell they’re married!

• Reply Sundry 8th May 2012 at 5:57 pm

I had a visceral response to just seeing the cover of The History of Love. So wonderful. Funny, though, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close didn’t move me at all.

Just finishing reading We Were Stardust by Kathrin King Segal, a musician and writer I know. It’s a compelling read about the folk music world of the late sixties.

• Reply becomingcliche 8th May 2012 at 6:10 pm

I just finished reading Maeve Binchy’s latest. As you described -comfortable and predictable. Sometimes it’s just what I need.

• Reply LKD 15th May 2012 at 3:02 pm

Maeve is also a go-to for comfort reads!

• Reply Patricia 8th May 2012 at 10:35 pm

I’m half-way through Kitty Cornerd by my dear friend’s friend Bob Tarte. It’s an easy, fun read ~ nothing that takes a lot of my brain and brings a smile to my face.

• Reply Modern Gypsy 15th May 2012 at 2:45 pm

I’ve read The Night Circus – I loved it! I hear ya on 50 Shades of Grey. I just finished it yesterday…and…let’s just say I loved Ellen’s video 😉

• Reply LKD 15th May 2012 at 3:00 pm

For some reason, I’m reading the second one. But my inner goddess isn’t impressed.

• Reply Modern Gypsy 15th May 2012 at 4:30 pm

lol! I’m reading the second one too…though I have no clue why!

• Reply tanya @ moms small victories 19th June 2012 at 6:44 pm

just finished divergent which was great, only YA book I’ve liked so far. now reading water for elephants for a book club, good so far!