Books Humor Life

2012: The Books I Lived With This Year

30th December 2012

Goodreads says I’ve read 49 books this year.  That would be a painful number, if I wasn’t taking a reading break from the 5oth to share my top 10 for 2012, in some semblance of order:

The Snow Child

The History of Love

The Panopticon

The Story Sisters

The Invisible Circus

Dandelion Wine

The Night Circus

The Art of Fielding

Where’d You Go, Bernadette?

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop

These are the books I lived with this year.  The ones I stayed awake to finish, the   ones I read  in sweatpants, before I got dressed ‘for real’, the ones where I read bits aloud, sometimes to myself. Some made me laugh, some made me cry, the best did both.

Sarge read a few of them first and then threw them at me.  Most of them are now on his side of the bed because I’ve said: Dude, you hafta read this.  No, really.  They were good enough that I felt the need to use the word ‘Dude’.

As for next week’s/year’s reading I’m going to go back on my memoir/bio/nonfiction kick, I think.  After I read the fiction I bought with my Christmas vouchers.  And I’m also going to concentrate on the other books already in my house before buying any more, and if I do buy, I shall buy local. And I’m getting much better at using the library.  However, it would seem that I still need work on bringing books back after I check them out.  I can’t help it. They’re so pretty.

What were your top books of the year?

What will you be reading next year?

book tree

P.S.  I know I’m a little late, but check out The Mary Sue for more book trees.

• Reply Tanya 30th December 2012 at 6:39 pm

Snow Child was one of my favorites too! Great job on reading 49 books, i only made it to 34, hopefully i can finish the 35th today. I am doing a bunch of reading challenges for next year so I have my work cut out for me, an around the world challenge (80 books in 5 years), a classics challenge (6 in 2013) and a monthly challenge (1 per month).

• Reply Charron's Chatter 30th December 2012 at 7:02 pm

The story of Edgar Sawtelle; The Life of Pi; Travels with Charley; Atlas Shrugged…love books. 🙂 Awesome Xmas tree, BTWs!!

• Reply katbiggie 30th December 2012 at 8:21 pm

I have not read any of those books but I am filing this post away so that I have some good recs next time I need a book! I am reading The Bloodletter’s Daughter right now. It is really, really good. I also read “Heaven is for Real” – did not like. I am in the middle of 11/22/63. So far very good. But I got caught up in the Bloodletter’s daughter and haven’t finished anything else. And of course I read Shades of Grey cause I had to know what the hype was about. Ti wasn’t so bad. I would like to complete at least 20 books in 2013… but I will settle for 10!

• Reply DB York 31st December 2012 at 4:12 am

I’m sad that I only made it to 27 this year. The good part of that is the ones that weren’t smut were for the most part incredible. My list is at work. I will comment again with the ones that really stuck with me. 🙂

• Reply urbannight 1st January 2013 at 4:25 am

I read a lot of books. I should try to do something like this in 2013.

• Reply Sarge 1st January 2013 at 3:21 pm

I read a respectable 31 last year apparently … my Top 5 would be:
    * Stone Junction
    * The Panopticon
    * The Savage Detectives
    * The History of Love
    * Stuart: A Life Backwards

Looking forward to many evenings reading with you in 2013! x

• Reply LKD 2nd January 2013 at 3:12 pm

Guest-post at some point, Sgt.?

• Reply Jackie Cangro 1st January 2013 at 8:29 pm

Like Sarge, I have so many books on my bedside table, I’m hereby banned from from adding any more to the list. The Art of Fielding is one of them, so I’m anxious to get to it.
    Right now, I’m reading Brooklyn, by Colm Toibin. It’s been on the wait list at the library for ages. Now I’m on a tight deadline. 🙂

• Reply LKD 2nd January 2013 at 4:25 pm

See, this is why I need to take my to-read list with me when I get fee books! Brooklyn has been on my list for ages. Still haven’t read it.

Let me know what you think!

• Reply Gabi Coatsworth 15th January 2013 at 12:28 am

If you can get it in Britain, try Matthew Dicks’ book: Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. Told from the POV of the imaginary friend. Gripping, tender and funny.

• Reply afsarnizam 25th January 2013 at 2:52 pm

tnx

• Reply Sandra Harriette 4th February 2013 at 6:43 am

I’m reading The Lakota Way, anecdotes and Native American parables about character and values. The Developing Mind is also something I have been working on for quite some time. I have to take it in bits and pieces.