Books Reading

The 21 Books I’ve Read So Far In 2017

9th May 2017

I figured it was time to share what I’ve been reading latelyish.

My peak reading time is now somewhere between 11pm and 4am.  And there are now three TV-less nights a week in this house.  So, there’s that, too.

The Unseen World, Liz Moore – This book.  This effing book. I identified with Ada more than I care to admit, and as such, did not want this to end. Ten big, fat, teary stars.  Read it.

Once Upon A River, Bonnie Jo Campbell – One for my book group, this was one I started last year, but took into 2017 with me.  Beautiful, emotive writing.  Almost too much.

Did You Ever Have A Family, Bill Clegg – If you like small town gossip books, like I do, read this.  Not the book I expected when I started it, but I loved it.  Didn’t like the main characters as much as the rest of the chorus, but it all worked.

Shadow and Bone, Leigh Bardugo – I picked this up because I’m interested in reading Six of Crows, but I wanted to start at the beginning.  I didn’t read YA when I was one, but I seem to be making up for it now.  Easier to follow then some others.  Really escapist and well-written.

Born A Crime, Trevor Noah – Ten stars for the audio version.  So good.  Want another book on his career.

The Wangs Vs The World, Jade Chang – I appreciated what was there, I just wanted more.

All The Missing Girls, Megan Miranda – 5 stars, and I finished this at 4 AM.  And I cried at the end.  Impatiently waiting for Megan Miranda’s next book.

My Sister’s Bones, Nuala Ellwood – This book got me out of an anxiety-induced reading slump.  Part 1 was 10 stars.  And it’s better than the books it is being compared to.  I finished this book in two days.  Which doesn’t happen often any more.

Illuminae, Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff  – Well, this was another one finished in two days.  The ending made me want to read the second instalment, which I haven’t finished.

Red Queen, Victoria Aveyard.  I marked this to begin my A to Z challenge, because I’d received it in a bookish Secret Santa.  Still haven’t got to the second book, but the calming colour-scheme used on the covers of all three is calling my name!

The Roanoke Girls, Amy Engel – Right so, one day I read about a book.  The next day I bought the book.  The day after that, I finished the book.  This was that book.  I didn’t know much about it going in, and I called it early.  And it was hard to read.  But I kinda want to start all over again.

The Couple Next Door, Shari Lapena – At first I thought this was an exploitation of post-natal depression. At 50% I became more interested and less pissed off. Then I figured it out, and then there was the ending. Well, shit. At least it was a quick read.

Kill The Father, Sandrone Dazieri – Holy shit. What an actual roller-coaster this book is. And I haven’t been this invested in a quirky fictional duo since The Millennium books. And the writing was so beautiful and funny. The translation so fluid. And Italy. Of course. The actual case I wasn’t so down with, but bring on the next book. And y’all have to read this one.

My Brilliant Friend, Elena Ferrante – Wow.  Had to finish this on a morning everyone else slept in. Didn’t agree with the portrayal of Lenu’s mother.  But the world of this book is beautiful and real.  I’ve lent this one to a local friend, and bought the rest of the series.

18301555_10154817208749412_2899678867897809508_n

The Lauras, Sara Taylor – LOVED THIS.  I believe this was my first 5- star rating on Netgalley, too.  Actually, all the stars.  Took this book on a road-trip, and it was the perfect companion.

My Name Is Lucy Barton, Elizabeth Strout – This was another road-trip read.  Beautiful. Finished in about three hours.  And now I want to read everything Elizabeth Strout has written.

My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologies, Fredrik Backman – While I was emotionally invested in this, I wish I’d liked it more than I actually did.

The Second Sister, Claire Kendal– Once I got into this it was an OK read, with some generally creepy elements and an interesting atmosphere. Thanks to NetGalley for the chance to read this.

The Upside of Unrequited, Becky Albertalli – I loved Simon, and might love this a little more. I have a Cassie. She isn’t my twin, but my Lobsister. And I kind of married my own Reid. They are both going to read this. You should, too. And I want another book set in this universe.

The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas – Loved this, didn’t want it to end.  But can we talk about the ending?

Saga, Volume 1, Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples – I probably wouldn’t have found this on my own, but Litsy told me to read it.  And I’m glad I did.  Now reading Volume 2.

Some Notes:

No finished books for the readathon.  Because, life.

I’m up to G on my #LitsyAtoZ

I’ve discovered Netgalley.

I’m @LornaDH on Litsy and my goodreads has been kinda spruced up here.

What are you reading?

• Reply Carrie Rubin 9th May 2017 at 2:25 pm

I loved the audio version of Trevor Noah’s book too. So good, both content- and delivery-wise. He’s brilliant with accents.

• Reply LKD 9th May 2017 at 5:38 pm

He could read the phone-book, and I’d listen. Same with the dude who narrates You, by Caroline Kepnes. which will be in the next round-up! Good to see you again!

• Reply Carrie Rubin 9th May 2017 at 8:19 pm

Thanks. 🙂 I read “You.” Strange book but definitely interesting. Did you read the follow-up to it?

• Reply urbannight 9th May 2017 at 3:59 pm

So far I have read a vast multitude of romance novels. I got onto an arc reading program but it is all contemporary romances. I prefer historical, or science fiction and fantasy novels. I need to find an arc reading program for those types of books.

• Reply LKD 9th May 2017 at 5:42 pm

I was wondering where you got to! How the hell are ya? Have you read Jeff VanderMeer?

• Reply urbannight 25th May 2017 at 3:29 pm

I have not read him, and I have a folder of all your entries that I’m behind on. I keep meaning to get caught up. I saw a penguin the other week and it made me think about you and your family.

• Reply Jackie Cangro 10th May 2017 at 6:57 pm

Good to hear that Trevor Noah’s book was good as an audio book. Some books really lend themselves and others not so much.

Right now, I’m reading A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles. (He wrote Rules of Civility.) This is set in 1920’s Moscow and narrated by a former noble now under house arrest after the Bolsheviks. But, so far, it’s not somber or depressing. The main character is quite charming, though I can see how this is going to get him into trouble. Stay tuned.

• Reply LKD 13th May 2017 at 8:17 pm

I really want to read that one. Please report back. Also, I’m now reading Commonwealth and loving it!

• Reply D. Parker 13th May 2017 at 3:06 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, adding a bunch to my want to Read section on Goodreads. Hope this weekend is treating you kindly. Oh and now following your blog and shared. 🙂

• Reply LKD 13th May 2017 at 8:18 pm

Nice to meet you! Thanks.

• Reply Ritu 14th May 2017 at 11:27 am

Don’t think I’ve read any of those!

• Reply A Girl and Her Passport 14th May 2017 at 11:44 am

I have only read one on this list! Thanks. Always looking for new books.

• Reply LKD 14th May 2017 at 11:48 am

Which one?

• Reply A Girl and Her Passport 14th May 2017 at 11:49 am

My Brilliant Friend

• Reply LKD 14th May 2017 at 12:13 pm

Of course, sorry. I have the whole series, but I haven’t read them all yet.

• Reply Lucy Mitchell 14th May 2017 at 12:21 pm

A great list!

• Reply angelanoelauthor 14th May 2017 at 2:00 pm

This is an incredible list. I am jealous of how many interesting books you’ve devoured so far!

• Reply Gary 14th May 2017 at 3:35 pm

Good list and impressed. I’m behind on my GoodReads reading challenge by one at the moment; to write or read is my dilemma and usually I end up drinking coffee looking ponderously across the fields!!

• Reply LKD 15th May 2017 at 8:34 pm

Sounds like what I do, too.

• Reply Gary 15th May 2017 at 10:54 pm

and no doubt berate yourself afterward for too much staring and not enough writing OR reading !!!

• Reply Janice Wald 14th May 2017 at 4:19 pm

Hi,
    I know Andrew and Donna. Gary is a good friend of mine. How do you have time to read? I’m always blogging.
    Janice

• Reply Strength and Sunshine 14th May 2017 at 9:04 pm

I read Once Upon a River years ago and still remember it was so good!

• Reply Miriam Joy 15th May 2017 at 1:06 pm

I didn’t really get into Shadow and Bone and haven’t read its sequels, but I enjoyed Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom a lot more. I’m not sure what it was about the main series that didn’t grab me — theoretically it involved many things I should have enjoyed, but on an emotional level something failed to connect and it’s frustrating that I can’t figure out WHY. But anyway, I don’t actually think you need to have read the main trilogy to understand or enjoy Six of Crows etc — they may be set in the same world but they’re quite separate. 🙂