Sharing The Love

How I Became Pinteresting

2nd October 2017

How I became pinteresting and grew my pinterest account.I think I started using Pinterest back when I got engaged.

I think scrapbooks are messy and stupid, but I wanted a way to procrastinate collect ideas for the wedding, and more importantly, the honeymoon.

I also had a board of sayings called THE WALL and visual writing prompts tacked on STORYBOARD.

I didn’t have a board for my blog, because I didn’t know that was a thing to do.

And so, I pinned wedding things and purple things and book lists and Judy Garland.

I added my blog link to my profile.  And not a lot happened.

No hits from Pinterest to my blog.  No repins of my repins.

So, I decided that my blog wasn’t pretty enough for Pinterest.  No hard feelings, I was more about the words, anyway.

A few months ago, maybe longer, because I’m old, I began to hear that Pinterest was not another social network that I didn’t need, but a visual search engine that everyone was using.

Now.

Some real talk here.

1. This blog is not self-hosted.
  2. My SEO Google ranking is a D+
  3. My biggest traffic referrer thing has been Facebook
  4. I have not monetised the blog itself.

However.

1. I’m thinking of doing a .com
  2. I wanted to up my SEO
  3. I’m thinking of ways to turn the blog into a job that I love that other people might find useful, too

And so, I figured that Pinterest was a train I needed to get on.

I went back to procrastinate  do some research.

I wanted my blog posts repinned.  I wanted people to want to repin my stuff.  I needed a logo on every pin.

I went to Canva.  I attempted to make attractive pin templates.  I almost threw poor Frank the Laptop out the window.

I went on vacation.

Took a notebook and made a list for the blog (not unlike the second list on this post).

I woke up early in the hotel on our second morning, before Frank’s battery died for the rest of the trip.

You know how sometimes you read things when you’re meant to read them?  The first post I read that day was Suzie’s post on her social media management services.

Now.

I’ve done all the behind-the-scenes work on this blog myself.  Including what I call social media schlepping.

However.

I needed help.  The marketing side was taking away from the writing and connecting side.

I am not a very visual person, but I did want attractive pins that got repins.  I wanted placement on group boards, I wanted a walk-through of switching to a pinterest business account.  I wanted help from someone who knows more about that I do.

And the thing is this.  I trust Suzie.  I’ve been reading her no-bullshit, actually useful advice for years.

And so, when I read her post that day, I wrote to her and said ‘Help me, Obi-Wan.’

I’ve been working with Suzie a little over a month.

Some stats:

My followers on Pinterest have gone from 440 to 736 groovy people.

My group board has 837 pins from 85 pinners.  To join us, click here.

The potential audience for my pins has gone from 2,495 to 35,701 sets of pretty eyeballs.

And my pins have been re-pinned 800 times.  So far.

All of that means this:  Pinterest has gone from completely off my radar to my top source of traffic.  I checked today.  Pinterest has knocked Facebook AND the WordPress reader from the top spot.

I had 2,193 views on Gin & Lemonade in September.  My busiest month all year.

All from 5 weeks of working with Suzie.

I’ve been inspired  It was just the kick in the ass I needed to share more useful content and longer stories with you, too.

Thanks, Suzie.

Start working with Suzie here.

IMG_1970

My Pinterest Analytics.  The proof is in the picture.

• Reply josypheen 2nd October 2017 at 6:47 pm

Woah good work (both you and Suzie!)

I should have a similar kick up the arse to get to grips with pinterest too! Eep.

• Reply Lorna 2nd October 2017 at 7:39 pm

Highly recommended! PS. I’m going to London this weekend. But you’re not there. That sucks.

• Reply josypheen 2nd October 2017 at 8:03 pm

Oooh have fun though! Eat ALL of the yummy things!

• Reply Becca Barracuda 2nd October 2017 at 10:52 pm

I have been talking about getting myself more pinteresting. I haven’t had much luck as of yet, but that’s probably because I don’t really know what I’m doing (unless it’s pinning home decor that I’ll never buy/ DI-mYself). I’ve also been talking about (to myself) reaching out to Suzie. She’s so fab. This is probably a sign that I should, right? 😉

• Reply Lorna 3rd October 2017 at 12:35 pm

Suzie is such fun to work with!

• Reply Cristina 3rd October 2017 at 4:58 pm

I’m not using Pinterest to promote my blog, I use it mostly as a source of inspiration. I’ve seen a lot of bloggers praising Pinterest for helping them grow their blog. I’m seriously thinking in putting more effort into it.

• Reply gemmaorton 4th October 2017 at 6:03 pm

Wow, this is great. Well done the both of you!
    Honestly, I’m pretty rubbish when it come to Pinterest and all that social media lark. I try. I’ve done some Canva. But it doesn’t seem to gain me much. However I do love scrolling through and imagining all the things I’m never going to make!

• Reply Lorna 4th October 2017 at 6:40 pm

Me, too. The only things I’ll actually attempt are the cocktail recipes!

• Reply gemmaorton 5th October 2017 at 8:52 pm

Well if you’re going to attempt anything I reckon cocktails are a good place to start!

• Reply Allison Ryan (@allisonsaysso) 4th October 2017 at 7:12 pm

This is inspiring! Pinterest is always the last social media platform that I utilize. I’ll need to look into Suzie’s services!

• Reply Lorna 5th October 2017 at 12:41 pm

And I’m not even someone particularly pinteresting! You’d have more success than me!

• Reply Casey the College Celiac 4th October 2017 at 8:09 pm

It’s amazing how sometimes the universe will send you exactly what you need right when you need it. Congrats on all the growth! Susie def sounds like a huge help!

• Reply Kait Around The Kingdom 6th October 2017 at 1:53 am

I absolutely love Pinterest! It’s my biggest source of traffic on my blog!

• Reply incandescentproseblog 7th October 2017 at 6:25 pm

I’ve been on pinterst.. Creative

• Reply Natalie Ducey 13th March 2018 at 4:25 pm

Cheers, Lorna! Thanks for sharing this. I spend very little time on Pinterest, but I’m gonna up my game! 🙂