Coffee Talk Travel

The Christmas Road-trip

20th December 2017

On Sunday night, Neil and I clinked paper cups over burgers in Edinburgh.

‘Happy weird-ass date night,’ I said.

We were doing some first-minute Christmas shopping before picking up my Mom at the airport the next morning.  I was running on nerves and chocolate after the six hour drive off the mountain.  We had an hour to shop, but I can’t shop hangry.  So, make that 40 minutes to shop.

At toy stores.  And a craft store.

Isla’s Christmas list opened like this:  Dear Santa, I’d like you to bring me these presents while I sleep.  I love Mummy and Daddy and penguins and everyone.

She dictated a three-item list, and then said, ‘I’m finished. What do you want, Mummy?’

Maybe because her list was so short and polite, we found everything on it.  And a penguin-shaped cocktail shaker for Neil.

We then had a drink at the hotel bar.  And I actually fell asleep at the table.

The night passed without any fire alarms and we got up at stupid o’clock to pick up my Mom.

A lady and her dog ambled into the arrivals hall.

My Mom came in after her, and parked herself in between another reunion of a mother and her kid that was so sweet it made me miss Isla.

Airport hellos always get me.

So did my first coffee of the year in a festive cup.  That happened five minutes later, and it actually took me less time to drink it.

Neil found some more penguins and we took Mom to an Italian deli which I always thought was more like my Nana’s kitchen.

25446340_10155424843014412_2905852696943025526_n

Airport penguins.

Mom then insisted we find a convection oven which took longer than we thought, because nobody knew what she wanted.  And then there was that time nobody would accept American dollars.  Who knew?

We did find a Christmas outfit for Isla and a bagel that was less than Mom bargained for.

We got back into the car, once we found it, and wedged ourselves between the shopping, the loud laughing freakish Hatchimal, and the olives.

It’s day three with Mom.  We’ve ordered the convection oven, and attempted to make shopping lists for Christmas cookies. I say attempted because my most-used phrase has been, ‘No, we don’t have that here.’

Pre-made cookie dough, graham crackers, fucks to give.

I swear Mom brought a suitcase full of sprinkles and the makings of a gingerbread house.  Isla is looking at the pile of sweets wondering when we’ll get to put all the stuff together.  The gingerbread house is will be more like a gingerbread shed.

We shall see what tomorrow brings.

• Reply Bookstooge 20th December 2017 at 9:20 pm

Not taking American dollars?!?!? What IS the world coming to….

• Reply Lorna 20th December 2017 at 9:22 pm

It’s all round and shit, too.

• Reply Bookstooge 20th December 2017 at 9:24 pm

Ok, NOW you’re talking crazy talk 😉

• Reply Losing the Plot 20th December 2017 at 9:24 pm

Lorna what a lovely post! I hope you have a fabulous Christmas with your Mum x

• Reply Kerry LifeandLoves 20th December 2017 at 11:02 pm

I loved this post, it made me laugh. I love the idea of the gingerbread shed too, houses are so last year! xx

• Reply Lorna 21st December 2017 at 12:14 pm

Exactly my thoughts, Kerry! xox

• Reply josypheen 20th December 2017 at 11:10 pm

I can’t wait to see the gingerbread shed! 😀

• Reply Lorna 21st December 2017 at 8:21 am

Me, neither. 😉

• Reply Jess (A Virgo Life) 21st December 2017 at 1:33 am

I hate airports… and gingerbread houses. I can’t ever find my way around an airport… and the gingerbread houses never stay together. But getting to pick up loved ones is always fun and the struggle to put together these houses that are in my mind as beautiful with loved ones is always a good time. Hope the gingerbread house went well though and you have a great visit!!

• Reply Lorna 21st December 2017 at 8:20 am

I LOVE airports, I’m either going somewhere or can pretend I am. It’s also great for people-watching. Gingerbread house hasn’t even started, but thank you!

• Reply thelupiemomma 21st December 2017 at 4:56 am

First minute Christmas shopping 🤣 and the subtle crossed out fucks you give. At least your kid asked you what you wanted, mine just requested “a paint set wrapped in green paper” & upon seeing Santa we told her to ask for the Disney Descendants dolls. 🙇‍♀️ maybe when she’s older she’ll add us to the wishlist for Santa.

I hope you guys have a Merry Christmas 🎄or do y’all say Happy Christmas like in Harry Potter?

• Reply Lorna 21st December 2017 at 12:13 pm

I missed the part where Isla told her school Santa that she was 5. She’s 3.

Thank you, Demi! Merry Happy to you and yours, too!

• Reply Agness of a Tuk Tuk 12th January 2018 at 8:17 pm

I always enjoy reading your posts, Lorna! I hope you had an awesome festive season and I wish you to have an even better 2018!