Coffee Talk Humor Life

Marshmallows For Breakfast

13th February 2018

Over the weekend, the fam and I did an experiment.  We tried a road-trip to Inverness without the added interestingness of staying overnight somewhere.

Our experiment garnered varying results.

You knew that, right?

Stick with me.

It takes about two and a half hours to get to the thriving metropolis of Inverness from here.

I put my morning coffee in my giant turquoise Starbucks travel mug and we piled in the car.

Now.

I have always encouraged Isla to be her own person.

An example is this:

The kid wakes up every morning and wants to wear a dress to school.

In my head, dresses are for special occasions and I myself don’t wear them.  (Well, there was that one time at my wedding.)

Point is, Isla was beginning to wear her fancy dresses to school, which is fine.

But Isla is a tall kid, and dresses were becoming tops.  So part of the reason for our road-trip was MORE DRESSES, PLEASE, MA.

And so.

This post is not about the dresses.  It’s possibly about the fact that I’m a tomboy raising a girly-girl an Isla who happens to love dresses and I wouldn’t change her FOR THE WORLD.

Now.  Regular readers will know that I hate shopping.  Unless it’s books or coffee or gifts for someone else.  (Which is usually books or coffee.  Hi.)

But medium-known fact about me:  I kinda love malls.  All the shops are in one place and there’s coffee and food and everything smells like ice-cream and unicorns and hope.

I also like malls because Isla still sits on my lap while we’re traipsing through one.  I’ll take that even if dress-shopping comes with it.

After clothes shopping I swear my girl said, ‘Let’s find books for Mummy.’

Now.

I can breathe in a bookstore in a way that I can’t in other places.  No matter where I am in the world or my two islands, if I’m in a bookstore well, all is right with the world.  It’s all that paper and ink and all those possibilities.

Neil and Isla went off to the kids section while I did my rounds.  All the books I saw that I wanted to read I already own.

However.

I finished The Dry in the car on the way to Inverness, and might have a fictional character crush on Aaron Falk.  Maybe not so much since I’ve read his physical description in Force of Nature.  But whatever.

I never go into a bookstore with a specific book in mind.  I just trust that the right books will find themselves in my hands.

But this time I went in for Force of Nature.  I read The Dry on my Kindle, but I bought a copy for Neil, because he must read it as part of our two-person bookclub.

After books, there was coffee.

And food shopping. Which mainly consisted of booze and marshmallows.  And Jolly Ranchers from the American aisle.

And then.  We got back in the car to go up the road, there was Bruce Springsteen on the radio which was hooked up to Neil’s phone.  It is 2018.

Isla fell asleep.  I fell asleep.

A deer ran out into the road.  Neil stopped.  The deer didn’t.

I woke up to actual doe eyes looking at us.  I’m sure she said ‘WTF, dudes?’ before walking back into the woods.  There’s a dent in the hood of the car.  But I keep saying, she walked away, she walked away.  And Isla slept through it all.

I do feel bad.  But she walked away.  It happens.  Country life, or some shit.

Dad took Isla to school the next morning and then he brought her back.  Snow day.  Hi.

The car insurance hooked us up with a garage to get the car fixed.  An hour and a half away from our house.  We then found somewhere local.  The far-off place seemed, um, really pleased.

As I was saying it snowed yesterday, too.  So all that and no car.

In related news, I’d like to get out of the house.  But y’know, snow and no car.

Isla came home from school in a dress and sweater from our road-trip.  On the way into the house, she and Dad saw three eagles swooping around.

Country life, again.

Isla enjoyed the spectacle for a while.  And then turned to me and said, ‘Let’s go inside, we can’t stand around out here in the cold.’

That’s my kid right there.

IMG_2540

There, too.

• Reply Nicole 13th February 2018 at 1:46 pm

I love Isla’s style. She and Anya would get along beautifully. Though you and I might undergo makeovers if we put them in the same room. Anya is horrified that I have pretty clothes and jewelry I never wear. She doesn’t really get yoga pants. Or pants in general.

• Reply Lorna 13th February 2018 at 2:23 pm

The same room thing is on my list of 43things, ha!

• Reply Nicole 13th February 2018 at 2:32 pm

And mine!

• Reply thatblogwherecheriemovestogermany 13th February 2018 at 2:29 pm

Ah “Unicorns and hope”. I like the people watching at the mall. I can find a place to sit, eat some Chinese food and watch people. I do not have to speak to anyone in German(the lady at the Chinese food place speaks English to me. She speaks about 4 languages and looks slightly irritated when I try to order in my broken German).

• Reply Lorna 13th February 2018 at 4:55 pm

Do you have well-stocked American food aisles over there? I could send you some snacks.

• Reply loristory 13th February 2018 at 2:56 pm

Glad you all survived this adventure. I’ll have to read those books.

• Reply josypheen 13th February 2018 at 5:28 pm

Now I’ve seen the photo with those sparkly wellies, I LOVE Isla’s style too!

I was both a tomboy and totally into dresses when I was her age…so I’d end up with muddle dresses, or grass stains. Oops. Mud and sparkles is the way forward! 😉

I love the sound of your country life, although blooming ‘eck 1.5 hours to get your car fixed is a bit mad! I’m glad you found somewhere local!

• Reply johnrieber 13th February 2018 at 6:16 pm

Great story….road trips are a great way to bond – or to drive each other crazy – it’s all in how you approach it…thanks for sharing!

• Reply Lorna 14th February 2018 at 12:57 pm

Road-trips are my favorite!

• Reply maryandjohnineurope 13th February 2018 at 6:34 pm

Love her !

• Reply Lorna 13th February 2018 at 8:48 pm

Can’t wait til you actually meet her. That will be a day.

• Reply Losing the Plot 14th February 2018 at 12:59 pm

I think you should copyright “Paper, Ink & Possibilities’ just in case you ever have your own bookstore, it has such an evocative tone

• Reply Lorna 15th February 2018 at 8:51 am

The name of the bookstore was decided on the honeymoon, not unlike Isla and forward-thinking, ha! x

• Reply Losing the Plot 15th February 2018 at 9:50 am

Somehow, that doesn’t surprise me! 🙂

There’s something about those three words together though, that grouping just oozes creativity and positivity. They need to be ‘banked’ for future use 🙂

• Reply Lorna 15th February 2018 at 10:06 am

It isn’t that, though. Ha.

• Reply anhistorianabouttown 14th February 2018 at 1:33 pm

Snow and no car sums up my life right now- hoping to remedy the “no car” bit on Saturday, though. Hitting a deer is no fun- it’s happened 3-4 times on the way to our cottage, and it can do real damage to the suspension of the car. And then the insurance people look at you like you somehow invited this deer to wreak havoc on your car….