Coffee Talk

Reading & Rambling

18th September 2018

And so, I’ve recently tried to blog more consistently. A wordy post here, a list post here.

If you asked, I’d say I try to post something every other day, and by something, I mean something worth reading.

I moved the writing prompt roundup to Monday this week, because Neil left for a city week on Sunday, and I knew I wouldn’t have time to put a post together on Sunday. Even list posts take me hours. And with Neil gone I don’t have hours. I don’t really have hours when he’s here, but maybe that’s another post.

Isla had a few days off school this week, and even though she went to my Dad’s yesterday, I used that time to clean out my actual filing cabinet while watching Judge Judy. I thought about posting, but I was kinda depressed and maybe didn’t want to spread the depression round the interwebs, like last time.

I knew I wanted to highlight the work of the people who wrote to the prompt.

However. I also realized, for the second week in a row, I failed to write to my own prompt.

See, all of my memories from this time of year make me kinda sad. And the food I grew up with was much more freaking delicious than the food I eat now, which is also kinda sad.

I have these plans to write out these memories in such a way that they don’t feel like memories. But I can’t get into the writing zone.

I can get in the stressing zone, and the mother zone, and the missing my husband zone.

What will people think of this? So there’s none of this.

I was hanging with Isla last night, and I started to creep out of bed to write.

‘Stay with me’, she says. So I stayed. Not actually complaining.

I’m watching her sleep this morning, still not complaining. If I get up right now, how many words can I get in before there are other people in the house?

Answer: 668 or 752.

But there were no words this morning. ‘Stay with me’, she says. From the side of her face that looks like my face. So, I stayed.

Don’t mention how many more times she’ll ask me to stay. Forever, I hope.

And so, I’m here blogging about not writing again. Hi.

Before Neil left, I said ‘gimme a project.’

‘Drunken vlogs.’

‘Not this week.’

‘Write a book with Isla.’

He says I should give her scenarios, and let her choose where the story goes, like a choose your own adventure thing. Are those still a thing? Apparently so.

So, maybe new project. Maybe.

And even though Orla says I could ramble about socks and you guys would be interested, I figure I’d better get to the writing prompt roundup:

Read these:

Lori’s Apples

Ellen’s Ebb of Summer

Sonia’s Gruffalo Crumble

Orla’s Monkey Nuts

Miriam’s Memory of Apples

Ritu’s Saag goodness

Sarah’s Soup-er Obsessed

Hannah’s If Autumn Were A Guest

Rebecca’s Sounds of Silence

Claire’s Foodie memories and linked toffee apple recipe

Go read and then come back and tell me how hungry you are!

Since this week is a bit weird, and time is a bit weird, this week’s prompt is: How far have you travelled from home?

Photo by Vidar Nordli-Mathisen on Unsplash

If you want to link up, the roundup of posts will be posted next Wednesday, Sept. 26th.

• Reply johnrieber 18th September 2018 at 8:01 pm

Terrific post. Blogging is such a great creative release for me that I get frustrated by two things: not enough feedback from others, or a lack of inspiration to post something I am passionate about. Both are childish. Both are me. I look forward to sharing my trip far far away…thanks for hosting this!

• Reply Lorna 18th September 2018 at 9:20 pm

Looking forward to the posts about the trip. Safe travels.

• Reply Ritu 18th September 2018 at 8:06 pm

Off to read!!!!
    And I do get your pain… Sometimes it’s hard to write…

• Reply sarah9188 18th September 2018 at 8:22 pm

I must have screwed up and not linked up properly for this writing prompt. Sad day. 🙁 I have gotten to read a few of these posts already, but I’m looking forward to catching up on the rest now. And Orla is absolutely right; if you wrote about socks, I’d totally read that. I hope you are able to get back in the writing zone; I hate that feeling when the words just don’t come like they have before.

• Reply Lorna 18th September 2018 at 8:34 pm

Sorry, I have two lists going there was no pingback so I didn’t get it. Sorry if you mentioned it before. Comment the link and I’ll add you. x

• Reply Janet Givens 18th September 2018 at 8:32 pm

I’m a late comer to your blog, Lorna, but trying to make up for lost time here. You post a few times a week and once a week one of those posts is a writing prompt? Those so inclined make a blog post out of it and somehow they all come together? Did I get it? Today, we get a prompt.

You’ve offered a great prompt; I’ve written a whole book on mine. But I look forward to following and seeing what others will say.

Learning as I go here. And, btw, writing about “writer’s block” (hate the term) is a great theme for what turned out to be a great post. I’m looking forward to more.

• Reply Lorna 18th September 2018 at 9:03 pm

Prompts have only been going 3 weeks now. I try to post on on Sunday and include participating people in a roundup when introducing the next one, on a Sunday. If I’m late posting you’ll get til that day the following week, so it’s a full week to write and post. First one is here for more info: https://ginlemonade.com/2018/09/02/if-we-were-having-coffee-writing/ Would be great to have you!

• Reply byrnewithme 18th September 2018 at 8:35 pm

Oh I wonder if there was something wrong with the way I linked up too, or do only a selection of the posts get shared each week? I’m looking forward to reading anyway, and thanks for posting it up. The next prompt is quite relevant for me right now so I’ll see if I have time to come up with something this week.

• Reply Lorna 18th September 2018 at 8:47 pm

No, you’re up now. Everyone who links gets included if my lists match up, ha! Sorry, I loved your post.

• Reply byrnewithme 18th September 2018 at 10:54 pm

No worries, thanks so much!

• Reply Lorna 18th September 2018 at 9:04 pm

Jesus, you’re fast, dude. Ha! x

• Reply Ritu 18th September 2018 at 9:18 pm

Lo! I try!
        And if I don’t do it when I read it, I forget!

• Reply rachaelstray 19th September 2018 at 9:36 am

I feel a bit like this too memories which can be upsetting and I’d rather not go down that lane.

I’m enjoying reading everyone else’s prompts.

I hope Isla says stay forever too.

Rachael | https://rachaelstray.com

• Reply fancypaperblog 20th September 2018 at 8:46 pm

Love it☺ and I think a story with Isla sounds amazing. Looking forward to reading all of these.

• Reply Miriam Joy 21st September 2018 at 4:24 pm

I look forward to trying to take part in this prompt! No real ideas yet, but hopefully I’ll be able to come up with something. Will try and get around to reading everyone else’s posts for the last prompt, too.

• Reply Debbie Harris 22nd September 2018 at 9:21 am

I just had the best time writing my creative story in response to this week’s prompt Lorna!! I took a different direction to most others – but that’s travel for you 🙂 Thanks so much for helping to get those creative juices flowing. I hope you are feeling better now, I love reading your posts for your honesty in telling it as it is. Here’s the link to my story: https://debs-world.com/2018/09/22/far-away-from-home-as-she-knew-it/

• Reply Carol Cassara (@ccassara) 24th September 2018 at 3:37 pm

Isn’t it interesting how “life” gets in the way of… “life”? Hope this is a good week for you.

• Reply englishwithkirsty 24th September 2018 at 3:43 pm

I’m late with this as well, but I did write a post about this too – https://unseen-beauty.com/2018/09/24/4216/ Looking forward to reading what others have written.

• Reply lsgaitan23 24th September 2018 at 9:43 pm

I am so relieved when I read or hear that other people have a hard time getting to the writing. Sometimes, the words are flying off keyboard and sometimes…not so much! I think lying and looking at your daughter’s face is a valuable use of time! They are too soon gone.

• Reply Linda Hobden 24th September 2018 at 10:00 pm

Love the “drunken vlogs” idea for a project prompt – could prove to be fun!

Those “make your choice of ending” adventure stories are fun to read to the kids – except when they pick the same scenario every time!

• Reply domuhhneek 24th September 2018 at 10:55 pm

Hi! This is my first time doing a writing prompt, and it was a lot of fun to write! Here’s mine: https://escapearoundtheworld.com/how-far-have-you-traveled-from-home/

• Reply How far have you traveled? – Losing the Plot 26th September 2018 at 8:38 pm

[…] Gin & Lemonade with a twist […]