Coffee Talk Humor Writing

If We Were Having Coffee & Writing

2nd September 2018
And so, if we were having coffee, I’d tell you that I’ve yet again reclaimed my corner of the home office.  Cozy with my Tiffany lamp, my butterfly print, and um, a giant filing cabinet. For real, though. I meant to write yesterday, but we had to go pick up Neil’s new old man glasses. For real. Varifocals. He recently went for an eye test, and they explained his declining vision by saying, ‘That’s OK. It happens when you get old.’ I skipped my writing session yesterday so I could go prop him up. He was nervous you see. Sweaty palms and everything. Not only were these glasses stronger, they also, wait for it, didn’t have brown frames. These new glasses are blue. Which means he has to live with a bit of color in his life and on his face. Do you know how long I’ve been trying to add a little color to his life and glasses and wardrobe? Nine years next month. And so, I had to see the blue frames. On his face. Isla and I waited at a play area while he went to pick them up. Sugar for her, coffee for me. He looked like um, the old Neil. With blue frames. Pretty sweet. Although when I suggested they might be ‘too heavy for your face’ he had no clue what I was talking about. So, I let it go. You must pick your battles in a relationship. Like for instance, today I’m writing in the office. That really wasn’t a battle. Today. Today, I just moved my laptop from one room to the other. Neil followed after me with coffee, and Isla shut the door, shouting, ‘LET’S GIVE MUMMY SOME SPACE.’ And before I continue with today’s writing, I thought I’d take a look back. If we were having coffee, I’d tell you that these were my Top Ten Blog Posts in August: 10. 10 Things I’ve Learned in 7 Years of Blogging – There must be something in this. Because I hit eight years and everything. 9. Book Tour: The Caseroom – Now, this was a book reviewish post on a book I didn’t really like. In defence of bad book reviews, when you give one, you are only one person. I am only one person. Just because I don’t like a book, doesn’t mean you won’t. I would never tell people not to read books. So read. Whatever you want. 8. A Day in My Life As A Disabled Mother – This one funnily enough, outlines a day in my life as a disabled mother. Or just a mother. No one is ever ‘just a mother’, but y’know. 7. A Day In Dundee: Nostalgia & Penguins – A family road trip. With added penguins. Fun for everyone. 6. Never Panic Buy A House – This is the one where I dropped a truth-bomb and mentioned there’d be some changes around here. Or somewhere else. 5. My Writing Process: There’s An Octopus on My Ceiling – About my writing process, and I do have one. Maybe. 4. Please Don’t Tell Me To Enjoy My Kid – Because I already do. Like for instance, this was a recent exchange: Me: I love you, Isla. Isla: I didn’t know that. You’ve never said. See, she knows. We’re good. 3. If We Were Having Coffee In Edinburgh – More coffee talk on a road trip. 2. Blogging Resources for Real People – This one got an update today, and I’ll be sharing even more this week. And my tip-top post in the month of August, was: 1. 8 Years of Gin & Lemonade: It’s Not About The Gin. There’s a lot in that one, too.  Including yet another family road trip in video form. So, August was for real life, road trips, and blogging tips.  More of that. And today, I wanted to tell you about an idea I had for writing prompt shenanigans. I’d like to start offering a weekly writing prompt that you can use if you wish. I will set the prompt on Sundays and you will have until the following Sunday to write to it, and post what you’ve written, if you wish. If the prompt does inspire a post, I will share your link in a roundup post for the week, and then introduce the next prompt. And so:
  1. Prompt
  2. Write/Post (anytime from go to the next Saturday)
  3. Post will be included on a Sunday post here, which will also introduce the next prompt.
If you do participate all I ask is that you link back to the weekly post here that sets out the prompt. For this week, it’s this one. I will also be sharing weekly writing tips that I’ve found on the internet, that pertains to the prompt on a given week.
Photo by Lukasz Szmigiel on Unsplash
Week One: The prompt is a sepia-toned fall memory. Doesn’t matter what year you’re in. Could be now, could be then. Fun resources: The Nostalgia Diaries StoryADay – I’m also participating in September’s Story A Day Challenge. I’ll be writing more, but not necessarily posting ever day. If you choose to use a sepia-toned fall memory, have fun and don’t forget to link up! Read what other writers did with the prompt here. Another roundup and this week’s writing prompt is over here, and it’s open til Wednesday this week!

• Reply Ritu 2nd September 2018 at 2:54 pm

Woohoo! Will definitely take a look at this prompt!!!!!

• Reply Lorna 2nd September 2018 at 3:11 pm

Cool beans, looking forward to your words on it! <3 xox

• Reply johnrieber 2nd September 2018 at 2:56 pm

OK, i see my goal, off in the distance. I grew up in Seattle, so “sepia” will no doubt have moisture attached.

• Reply Lorna 2nd September 2018 at 3:15 pm

Seattle is one of my favorite places. My grandparents lived there for awhile, way before me. And I stayed there for a month, much later. It’s on my list to take Neil and Isla back.

• Reply Susanne Swanson 2nd September 2018 at 4:46 pm

Sounds fun. I’m up for a good challenge to get the creative juices flowing!

• Reply rachaelstray 2nd September 2018 at 5:05 pm

Love this idea. I don’t think I’ll have time this week but might join in the next one!

How is Neil getting on with the new glasses? Did you get much writing done in the office?

Rachael | https://rachaelstray.com

• Reply Lorna 2nd September 2018 at 9:25 pm

Neil says thank you for asking, and he feels weird. No change, then.

• Reply loristory 2nd September 2018 at 6:25 pm

I’m excited about your weekly prompts! I’ve drafted a poem inspired by today’s prompt and will be posting it and linking back very soon. Thanks!

• Reply Lorna 2nd September 2018 at 6:32 pm

Thanks, Lori! First reported use-of-prompt, ha! Looking forward to seeing what you have when you’re ready.

• Reply Ryan Biddulph 2nd September 2018 at 9:22 pm

Way cool blog Lorna. I found you via my friend Janice Wald’s blog. My wife and I do a bit of travel; looking forward to visiting Scotland one day. Tweeted for you.

Ryan

• Reply Lorna 2nd September 2018 at 9:44 pm

Thank you, Ryan! Great compliment coming from you. I found you through Janice as well, and enjoy your blog. Thank you for the retweet, too. Apparently the photo on it isn’t cooperating today, but y’know. And Scotland is the best place to visit. I like to tour-guide, if it’s other bloggers, ha.

• Reply Ritu 2nd September 2018 at 9:48 pm

Okay Lorna, I’ve had a bash…

And named your prompt Lorna’s Gin-spiring Prompt!

Here is my post

Hope you enjoy!

• Reply loristory 3rd September 2018 at 12:18 am

I’ve done it! You can read my post here:

Hope I linked to you properly. This is going to be fun!

• Reply Sara Strand 3rd September 2018 at 2:12 pm

My husband hates to wear his glasses. He’s blind as a bat so he has his contacts which he hardly changes! It’s so gross and I don’t know why he doesn’t do it. Last week his one eye swelled up so much that it looked like someone really punched him. I am totally sure it’s his old contacts but does he switch? NOPE.

• Reply Charlotte 3rd September 2018 at 3:44 pm

Oooh, I love the idea behind this prompt! I may have to join in (thinks back on sepia-toned fall memories…).

It’s funny how a new pair of frames can totally change a face. I’m almost 40 (gah!) and have been legally blind since I was seven, so for me, it was just a genetic inheritance and not an age thing. But it sucks nonetheless to have vision problems and hope your dude is settling in to the new eyes 🙂

Hope you enjoyed your weekend! Xoxo

• Reply Lorna 3rd September 2018 at 3:54 pm

Hope you do join in, Charlotte. We are a pro-glasses family already, but Neil says these are a whole ‘nother level. Very Clark Kent.

• Reply Bethany Ashlyn 3rd September 2018 at 3:48 pm

Love 🙂 I’ll have to check out a couple of those articles!

• Reply Lorna 3rd September 2018 at 3:50 pm

Thanks, hope you find something you like.

• Reply Jheelam 3rd September 2018 at 6:25 pm

Bookmarking your post. I’d love to binge-read couple of linked articles for sure. The sepia-toned prompt sound so much fun. Unfortunately, in my country, Autumn has a very short stay. But might give it a try. 🙂

• Reply Lorna 3rd September 2018 at 6:41 pm

Thank you Jheelam! I like reading binges, ha! And I hope you do something with the prompt! P.S. Remove the /feed from your blog address to make it a clickable link. 🙂

• Reply Jheelam 3rd September 2018 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for point it out. Would do.

• Reply sarah9188 3rd September 2018 at 11:14 pm

Just posted my blog post featuring this prompt, and I added a link to this post. Was that right?

If anyone wants to check it out, click this link. http://singularsarah.com/2018/09/03/an-epic-fall-itll-have-me-in-stitches/

It’s got blood, it’s got tears, and it’s got heroism. ?

• Reply Akaleistar 4th September 2018 at 12:25 am

What a lovely prompt!

• Reply Lauren Becker 4th September 2018 at 1:59 am

I could really use some new glasses…it’s been years since they’ve even been checked. Sheesh. Fun idea for the weekly writing prompt!

-Lauren

• Reply Christy Davis 7th September 2018 at 5:31 am

I did it! Whew, this brought out some emotions. If you’d like, check out my post at https://cookiesandcursewords/under-the-Autumn-trees

• Reply Christy Davis 7th September 2018 at 5:34 am

Oops! Let’s try this… https://cookiesandcursewords.com/under-the-autumn-trees

• Reply ellenbest24 7th September 2018 at 8:40 am

IS bit late for this week but I will dip my toe in the next. If I may. 😇

• Reply Lorna 7th September 2018 at 1:29 pm

Of course!

• Reply The Sepia Magician. | fancypaper 7th September 2018 at 5:56 pm

[…] you Lorna at Gin & Lemonade for a writing prompt which has actually prompted me to write. What are the new studies saying- […]

• Reply Debbie Harris 8th September 2018 at 7:05 am

I loved your post full of quirkyness and what you’ve been up to. I also like the idea of the writing challenge and actually wrote a post in response to the theme and photo. Not sure it was what you intended but I had fun anyway. Have linked back to this post as per directions. Looking forward to seeing all the different interpretations 😊

• Reply Lorna 8th September 2018 at 8:41 am

Thank you! Haven’t done mine yet, but working on it. We are a quirky bunch!

• Reply Debbie Harris 8th September 2018 at 8:45 am

I love that word quirky, I like to use it to describe myself too. Maybe a blogging trait 😂

• Reply Losing the Plot 8th September 2018 at 9:42 am

By the skin of my teeth – I got this done last night https://losingtheplotweb.wordpress.com/2018/09/07/a-sepia-toned-fall-memory/

• Reply Debbie Harris 9th September 2018 at 8:07 am

My link is here: https://debs-world.com/2018/09/08/a-new-world-order-as-autumn-takes-over/

• Reply lsgaitan23 24th September 2018 at 10:03 pm

I’ve had old-person multi-focal lenses for 15 years and I still have to take them off to read or see up close. I CANNOT get the hang of the looking through bottom part!