Coffee Talk Humor

The Thanksgiving Chicken

22nd November 2018

I’ve been in Scotland 25 years, but I’m American. I don’t really fly my American flag, I’d say I’m from New York first. Except when I’m in Edinburgh, then I say I’m from ‘up North’ and everyone gets confused. Because then I look at my daughter, and decide that I might actually be from Edinburgh, because that’s where she was born, and that’s where I became a mother.

Did I mention I was actually born in Dallas? The Texas one, not the Scotland one.

It’s all good, I’m confused, too.

I mostly feel American during The World Series, but also on Thanksgiving. Hi.

There’s a can of Libby’s pumpkin in my house every year, by way of speciality stores, and fairy dust and this year, a friend from Florida who I met while living on Skye. Figure that out.

Pie will be attempted by my Scottish husband, a feat that was first tried in this post over here, Proof of Pumpkin.

My American, but mostly Scottish Dad has never really been big on Thanksgiving, except for his Aunt’s pineapple red-hots. Which is basically pineapple chunks marinated in cinnamon red-hot candy and is freaking delicious, you guys.

Also delicious was my Nana’s pumpkin cheesecake. My love for her was not only food-based, but she made ALL THE BEST FOOD.

Here’s a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake, which I found online and looks good, but not as good as Nana’s.

I feel bad that my Mom is alone today, but at least she gets to watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade while eating discounted Reese’s.

As for us, we’re having Thanksgiving roast chicken. Not to be confused with The Thanksgiving Duck of years ago.

If you’re feeling a little lost today, for any reason, comment with your favorite blog post or Thanksgiving recipe, and visit some new people.

Happy Thanksgiving. I’m thankful for you.

Photo by Preslie Hirsch on Unsplash

• Reply rachaelstray 22nd November 2018 at 11:42 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Reply englishwithkirsty 22nd November 2018 at 11:52 am

I’ve never celebrated Thanksgiving, but I enjoy reading about all these foods I’ve never tried – well apart from roast chicken of course!
    The food that my Nan cooked is very different from what I cook today – she didn’t put a load of spices into everything like I do, but there are things that only she could do and any attempt to replicate them is never as good.
    I don’t have any Thanksgiving posts, but you’re welcome to come and visit me at https://unseen-beauty.com and I’ll check back later today to see who else comments and hopefully find some new blogs to follow.
    Have a great day everyone, whether you’re celebrating, having a normal working day, or being tempted in the sales!

• Reply Ritu 22nd November 2018 at 12:09 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

• Reply theycallmetater 22nd November 2018 at 12:14 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Reply Book Club Mom 22nd November 2018 at 12:18 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Reply Lutheranliar 22nd November 2018 at 1:07 pm

I’m the only one up in my Thanksgiving-morning house. Getting ready to make the apple pies (pumpkin made last night). And then, of course, the turkey and all. But I couldn’t resist reading your lovely post. Thank you for being you, O Transplanted Dallas/New Yorker/Scottish Girl 😚

• Reply Bec - views from my garden bench 22nd November 2018 at 1:08 pm

happy thanksgiving 🙂 A very long time ago (late 80s) when I was at Univ in Stirling there were quite a few US exchange students who were glum about being away on Thanksgiving – so a hall floor kitchen party was arranged – We shared the cooking and us Brits learnt lots about thanksgiving and its traditions.
    I don’t even think pumpkin was available in Scottish supermarkets then – I don’t remember what we improvised with but we made pecan pie – and the local butcher was very happy to sell a big turkey to us 🙂
    I’d not thought about this for a long time – thank you for dredging up these happy memories
    Big hug love Bec 🙂

• Reply Paulette 22nd November 2018 at 1:16 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! I’m up at 5am with nothing to do because I was responsible for once and made my sides yesterday, so I’m reading blogs. 🙂

• Reply A Girl and Her Passport 22nd November 2018 at 2:04 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! I didn’t know you are from Dallas! Me too. Small world isn’t it.

• Reply Lorna 23rd November 2018 at 6:09 pm

We were only there my first year, but I’m totally from Dallas on my birthday, ha!

• Reply A Girl and Her Passport 23rd November 2018 at 6:10 pm

Your are a Texan in my book!!

• Reply Lorna 23rd November 2018 at 6:15 pm

Honestly appreciate that. <3

• Reply becomingcliche 22nd November 2018 at 2:27 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! My great-grandmother made Red Hot apples. Baked deliciousness!

• Reply Lorna 23rd November 2018 at 6:07 pm

I want to try those!

• Reply johnrieber 22nd November 2018 at 4:09 pm

I hope your non-US-based Thanksgiving is joyous and filling – I am still hours away from digging into my Turkey and YES, my White Castle stuffing! That will be followed, as is mandatory, by a screening of “Planes, Trains And Automobiles”, the greatest Thanksgiving film of all time!

• Reply Rhonda 22nd November 2018 at 4:38 pm

Oh, pumpkin cheesecake! I might have to try that. Wonderful post. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Reply josypheen 22nd November 2018 at 4:45 pm

I hope you have a lovely pie-filled day Lorna! Happy Thanksgiving!

• Reply fattymccupcakes 22nd November 2018 at 4:48 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Lorna! I’ll eat a piece of turkey and pumpkin cheesecake for you! ❤️😋

• Reply Bryntin 22nd November 2018 at 5:42 pm

I hope you’ve had a good thankful Thursday and thanks for the thanks for visiting your Thanksgiving post.

• Reply Rhonda 22nd November 2018 at 7:36 pm

Sorry, I didn’t read the instructions carefully enough and have been happily posting on the Facebook bloggers group instead. I’m such a turkey! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I posted a recipe for pumpkin ice cream dessert on the Facebook group a little bit ago, just to let you know. It’s to die for!

• Reply justmuddlingthroughlife 22nd November 2018 at 10:54 pm

Happy thanksgiving, I have never celebrated thanksgiving living in the UK,

• Reply fancypaperblog 24th November 2018 at 9:52 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! I have never had pumpkin pie. For real. I lived with several Montanas in college and they really tried to give us Irish a thanksgiving meal. It was 1998 in Galway. There wasn’t a pumpkin anything to be had. Not a cranberry of any kind. She couldn’t even get turkey. It was abandoned!