Back-seat Baking

Back-seat Baking: Adventures in Chocolate

29th November 2010

Remember when I said I didn’t bake?  Well, I’ve decided I’ll watch other people do it, and record the process/results.  I’ll call the series Back-seat Baking, and I thank Sarge for the name suggestion.

And so.

Sarge brought home a box of cookie mix and a bag of marshmallows yesterday.

‘Do you mind if I put these together?’

‘Um, no.  Rocky Road!’

I asked if I could take notes on this experiment, and he said to scribble away.

‘OK.  Don’t do anything note-worthy until I go to the bathroom.’  This could be a preface to anything, but that’s another post.

I got back from the bathroom, and he’d heated the oven and was meticulously chopping up a ‘silly amount’ of marshmallows.  Actually 7.  Or 4.

He put the mix in an actual mixing-bowl, adding a teaspoon of cocoa and a ‘liberally measured’ ounce of softened butter.  He mixed in the marshmallows, with a ‘tiny bit’ of water.  And then some more water.  And some more water.  And honey.  And more water.

He mixed and mixed and mixed and flattened four cookie-shaped things on some kitchen-foil.  The kitchen-foil proved to be a bad idea, but they were still tasty.

He shoved them into the oven (190° C/ 374° F) and set our kettle-shaped timer for 7 minutes, after which he turned them over.

I nabbed some actual cookie-dough and he put them in for another 7 minutes.

After checking them and deciding they were ‘squidgy’, they went in for a ‘wee bit longer.’

We then enjoyed them.  With hot chocolate and left-over marshmallows.  And Father Ted.

Photographic Evidence:

They tasted better than they looked.  Perfect with coffee this afternoon!

Let me know if you try them!  Or if you have any recipes I could watch other people try to make!

• Reply ohemgillie 29th November 2010 at 6:35 pm

I’ve seen recipes for Rocky Road brownies, and I’ve been dying to try them. Maybe instead of cookies this Xmas.

I made s’more brownies once, which were incredible. Graham cracker crumb crust, thick gooey brownie in the middle, and melted marshmallow on top.

• Reply LKD 29th November 2010 at 6:45 pm

I love s’mores! And s’more brownies sound truly amazing! Thank you for the idea! 🙂

• Reply Carol 29th November 2010 at 7:14 pm

I’m not as interested in baking as I was when I was younger. My daughter loves to cook and bake, however, so when she visits she mixes up huge batches of cookie dough, then I roll it, package it, vacuum seal it and freeze. When we want cookies, take out a package or two, slice and bake. Wonderful! She’ll be here before Christmas – maybe I can get her to make some Snickerdoodle dough!

• Reply LKD 29th November 2010 at 8:58 pm

Would you believe I’ve never had Snickerdoodles?

• Reply DB York 30th November 2010 at 1:30 am

I love you both so much!

• Reply LKD 30th November 2010 at 3:08 pm

Yes, isn’t Sarge just the bee’s knees? 😉

• Reply broadsideblog 30th November 2010 at 2:20 pm

So many fewer calories if all you do is watch! Maybe I’ll set up my webcam next time I make banana bread?

• Reply LKD 30th November 2010 at 3:12 pm

I can eat, though! Ha! And I actually think a how-to video on banana bread would be kinda neat.

• Reply Ava Loy 1st December 2010 at 1:48 am

This puts me in the mood to start my holiday baking!

• Reply LKD 1st December 2010 at 1:45 pm