100 Books Or Bust

100 Books Or Bust: Double Digits

16th February 2011
Cover of "Aloft"

Cover of Aloft

As of this morning, I finished my 11th book of the year.  I’m trying to vary lengths so I don’t ‘cheat’ with short books only.

So far, I’ve read:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – in two days, on an island.

The Lacuna – in a little more than two days, back to reality.

The Slap – I’m still calling this one ‘The Bitch Slap’.

A Very Private Gentleman – quoted here.

I Was Amelia Earhart – which took me a little over an hour here.

Warm Bodies – which resulted in maybe not so weird dreams and prompted another library experiment.

Summer Crossing –  which took me back to my University workshops.

The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas – which sat on my shelf for years, and took two days to read.

The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective agency – Recommended by my mother, who didn’t tell there were so many cows in the book.  Cows and tea.  And quiet humour.  And no, I have not read Agatha Christie.

The Help – recommended to my by everyone and their sister, which I ended up reading as part of the SITS book group this month.  I rationed my reading of this one, so it would last longer.

Aloft – Perfectly pitched, dry suburban drama set on Long Island.  Made me want to fly.

What’s next?  Any more suggestions?

• Reply marie 16th February 2011 at 2:55 pm

Some interesting books here. I may have to add a couple to my reading list. For shorter books, “Snow Rising” was a good read. For longer books, I could go on all day. A couple of my favorites from the last couple years have been “A Thousand Splendid Suns” and “Audition” by Barbara Walters (autobiography). “The Phantom Toll Booth” is also a longtime favorite.

• Reply LKD 16th February 2011 at 3:41 pm

I have Spledid Suns, and it’s waiting to be read, The Kite Runner is one of my all-time favourites.

Keep following along, and let me know which ones you choose to read!

• Reply shelley 16th February 2011 at 3:01 pm

some really great looking books here, which was your favorite? keeping up with all the reading for the 31dbbb has been keeping me quite busy now lol.. have a great day!
    shelley

• Reply LKD 16th February 2011 at 3:46 pm

I can’t decide, Shelley! Loved The Lacuna, and Warm Bodies, and The Help and Aloft. So there’s a few. 😉

• Reply Pizza Cottontail 16th February 2011 at 3:52 pm

Aloft is a great book. Chang Rae Lee recently wrote a good short memoir about his immigrant family’s Thanksgiving traditions.

For your next read, go with Room by Emma Donoghue.

Great blog, by the way!

• Reply LKD 16th February 2011 at 4:52 pm

Thank you, I really like yours, too!

Room is in the next pile, and I’ll look up the memoir. I love memoirs.

• Reply Pizza Cottontail 16th February 2011 at 5:28 pm

The Chang Rae Lee story was in a recent issue of the New Yorker. Here, but after I went to all the work of finding the link I discovered you need a subscription to read it online. But still.

• Reply LKD 16th February 2011 at 6:50 pm

I’ve just spent the last wee while reading various abstracts. Thank you for the reminder to subscribe!

• Reply MutantSupermodel 16th February 2011 at 5:39 pm

How’d you like The Help? I have a ton of books coming in from the library including The Crossing and The Lonely Polygamist. In my queue, I have: The Iron Duke, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, The Remains of the Day, How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe, A Dirty Job, Darkfever, Sarah’s Key, Farm City, A Wild Sheep’s Chase, and Outlander. Besides all of that, I’m finishing up the first Percy Jackson series and just found out the first book of the second Olympians series came out in October so that’s going to happen and he did another series called The Red Pyramid. But those are YA books that I’m reading with my son. My goal this year was only 11 books but that’s obviously getting demolished (yay). I’m also keeping track of which ones I read on my blog. I’m definitely looking to get ideas from you to add to my list! Thanks for sharing this. It’s awesome.

• Reply LKD 16th February 2011 at 7:14 pm

Funny, I’m now reading Ishiguru’s Nocturnes at the moment, I love his writing, so simple and deep. Have you read Never Let Me Go?

I have been halfway through Hornets’ Nest for months. I’m in denial it’s the end of the series!

Loved The Help, engrossed for days!

Thank you for your list, I’ll read through it! Let me know which ones on mine you read!

• Reply MutantSupermodel 16th February 2011 at 8:40 pm

I’ve never read any Ishiguro. I read a Murakami and that led to someone suggesting Remains of the Day. I’m going to add The Help then. And yes, I totally understand the denial factor of the end of the series. I go through that every time I finish a series. Hate it! I’ll definitely keep you posted on which ones of yours I read. Book nerds have to stay united! 🙂

• Reply LKD 25th February 2011 at 8:42 pm

If you like crime series, try Jo Nesbo, more than 3 books! Reading The Snowman now, really good!

• Reply urbannight 16th February 2011 at 7:36 pm

Orson Scott Cards four “Shadow” books. These are the four books about Bean from the fairly long Ender saga. It is helpful to have read the first 3 Ender books published. But not necessary to have read any of the others.

• Reply urbannight 16th February 2011 at 7:38 pm

Oh, I forgot. Midori Snyder wrote a great fantasy quartet called Queen’s Quarter Knot. But good luck finding the books. Mine were damaged in a flooded storage room right after moving and I discovered they are out of print now. I would kill to find copies of them. Well, maybe not actually kill.

• Reply urbannight 16th February 2011 at 7:46 pm

I need to correct myself. I was sure there were four books in the Midori Snyder series but it turns out there were three. And someone has reissued it since the post flood search. But they are now marketing them as young adult novels. The name has also been changed to The Oran Trilogy. Some of her other titles look very good as well. I’ll probably have to find Except the Queen and The Innamorati.

• Reply Delorfinde 18th February 2011 at 2:49 pm

You changed your theme! Hmm … I think I like the old one better.

Anyway, book suggestions. I haven’t been commenting lately because I tend to read your posts straight from my email 😉

You should read … Paper Towns by John Green. My friend lent me three of his books, but I think that’s the one I like best, just because it’s kind of weird and unusual and doesn’t really have a happy ending. Also, I just read The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite, by Beatrice Colin, which, although it doesn’t make it onto my top ten books or whatever, is pretty good anyway. I also enjoyed Hester’s Story by Adele Geras, but I’m not sure it would be all that interesting to someone who’s not into ballet as I am.

There we go, there’s a couple of books for you 😉

• Reply Delorfinde 18th February 2011 at 2:50 pm

Oh, and Stephen Lawhead’s “Song Of Albion” Trilogy is quite good too. I also like his “Empyrion” books – there are two of them. So you could try them. I like them much better than his books about Arthur, which I found a bit confusing.

• Reply Jen 21st February 2011 at 9:42 pm

This is a cool challenge. I am currently going back through my bookshelf and reading some old stuff that I wanted to check out again. I am a librarian too so let me know if you need any suggestions, lol.

31DBBB

• Reply bluntdelivery 22nd February 2011 at 4:10 am

um, i don’t read.

but i write.

so, i’m half non-loser.

• Reply LKD 25th February 2011 at 8:44 pm

And I love what you write!

• Reply Margaret Almon 23rd February 2011 at 1:18 am

Thanks for alerting me that Chang-Rae Lee has a new book out! I went to the UofOregon MFA program with him(though I was a poet and he was non-fiction, and never shall the two meet. . .) and he is such a good writer.

• Reply nireene 24th February 2011 at 7:39 am

i love that you’re doing this! i set out for 100 this year too, but i got held up with atlas shrugged (damn 1200 pages! damn kindle for not warning me!) have you read white teeth by zadie smith? really entertaining and fast, although about 400 pages. also, if you like nonfiction, i’m currently reading anthony bourdain’s kitchen confidential which is surprisingly decent.
    <3 niree (from 20sb)
    ps. love the blog! and esp. the title haha

• Reply broadsideblog 27th February 2011 at 4:47 am

White Teeth is indeed a terrific book (her latest was hugely disappointing); Brick Lane by Monica Ali. I am currently reading (and loving) The Imperfectionists.

I liked The Help. Didn’t love it, although it’s a good read — did you see that the author’s original maid is suing her!?
    I hope you’ll add my new one to your list, out April 14.

I offer some favorites here: http://caitlinkelly.com/tips/tip05.htm

• Reply ssigler 3rd March 2011 at 12:30 am

I love your idea – this year I set out to read just the books in my reading stack (now in my music cabinet) – I think it was about 15 books. This weekend, I finished reading Tom Brokaw’s The Greatest Generation. I loved it and if you are looking for additional books to read, I highly recommend it. Visiting for the first time from sitsgirls31dbbb.