Uncategorized

Got Glue?

16th April 2011
This is a picture of a tube of The Original Su...

Image via Wikipedia

Well.  It happened.  I called both my parents and told them before they read it online.  My friends can’t believe it’s actually true.  And we weren’t even drunk.

As per a new tradition, Sarge and I met for coffee after work on Tuesday.  We were on our way to dinner when the world went from just under the speed limit to slow motion.  I came off a curb-cut/ramp, and the front wheel caught in a rut or on a piece of gravel or something.  The chair stopped.  I didn’t.

I stuck my arms out and more than mumbled ‘Whoa!’ as the pavement got closer to my head, which I turned to save my nose and my teeth.  This is where being taught how to fall at the age of five came in handy.  One of the lenses from my glasses was on the ground.  The other was in my eyebrow.

Did I mention I was in the street?  And Sarge was more concerned than I was?  And a car stopped and two strangers got out?  And one of them, shall we say, forcibly suggested her friend call an ambulance?  I checked my teeth and my nose, and said I was fine.  Turned around and got in the chair, realising I was bleeding all over my butterfly bag.  In the two minutes all of this took, we were surrounded by mall-cops, who again suggested an ambulance.  One of the women gave the bits of my glasses back to Sarge saying, ‘They’re broken.’  At this point I knew there was nothing seriously wrong with me, because I thought, well, gee.  Ya think?

It took five people to wrap my head so the gauze would stay in place.  One guy thought I’d need butterfly stitches.  How appropriate!

When I soaked through the fourth pad of gauze, I agreed to go to the hospital, and I let the mall-cops tick a box and call an ambulance for me.  Sarge looked paler than I did.

Someone asked how old I was.  ‘Twent…thirty,’ I said.  Everyone looked at me.  ‘It’s not the knock, it’s just the first time I’ve said it out loud.’  People accepted this and soon an EMT was asking me the same question.

I was lifted into the ambulance on something that reminded me of an in-flight chair.  ‘What time’s the plane, boys?’ I asked.

Sarge lifted my chair in and there was no place to put it but on a stretcher.  It was buckled while Bill the EMT took my BP and pulse.

‘Will you take his, please?’ I asked as Sarge sat down next to me.

I was asked a bunch of questions and made some jokes and I saw that Bill tapped ‘Uneventful journey’ into his computer.

‘Does that mean I’m boring, Bill?’

I’ve never been so happy to be dull.

‘How are you?’

‘OK, except I have to pee.’

And so we checked in via the toilet.  We got up to the desk.   There was an American woman there before me.  She thought she’d taken too many travel-sickness tablets.

We waited. And waited.  And waited.  I didn’t feel like reading, and I didn’t have my glasses, so I tried to sleep on Sarge’s shoulder.  I kept saying ‘I must be next,’ and then switched to ‘can we just go home?’  The gauze kept slipping, and by the time my name was called four hours later, it had popped off altogether.

My nurse’s name was Karen.  This made me feel better.  Then Karen said, ‘I can see the end of the cuts, we can glue them.’  No stitches?  She went away again.

‘I waited four hours for glue?  I almost want stitches,’ I said to Sarge.

Karen cleaned me up and glued my head shut, and I thought again how lucky it was that I only broke my glasses, and the cuts didn’t inch further into my eye.  Thank you, Karen.

We got home at midnight, with tape strips and fish and chips.

I went to work the next day with the beginnings of a black eye and my old glasses.

• Reply Delorfinde 16th April 2011 at 6:28 pm

Ouch! That sounds nasty. I hope you’re okay …

• Reply Broot 16th April 2011 at 10:29 pm

Yeah. Ouch! Now you have to make up a good story for the “real” reason you have a black eye. I think it should involve dragons and a butterfly made of diamonds. And perhaps a pirate. Yeah.

• Reply Anna 16th April 2011 at 10:48 pm

Well, at least you now have an additional good story to tell your future grandkids! *lol*

• Reply LKD 25th April 2011 at 12:36 pm

I thought the same!

• Reply Oh My Words! 17th April 2011 at 1:31 am

oh dear, what an ordeal! I’m glad you’re okay!
    Sort of a side note, but….Did you save the pieces of your glasses? When a similar unfortunate incident happened to me, I used my specs for a craft project. Sort of my own silver lining… 🙂

• Reply urbannight 17th April 2011 at 2:42 am

Glad it wasn’t worse. I love to read you. I spent 4 hours in an ER a couple years ago. I ran my thumb through the sewing machine. The needle was sticking out both sides. It was not straight. I needed an antibiotic because it struck the bone. Glad I didn’t let my friends yank it out like they wanted. Even thought my blood pressure shot so high that the staff was worried about me, the car accident and heart attack had to be handled first.

• Reply Marjory 18th April 2011 at 2:49 pm

Good grief! I’m so glad it wasn’t more serious! What would you do if it weren’t for Neil. Whew! Sending virtual chicken soup your way (it couldn’t hurt!).

• Reply LKD 25th April 2011 at 12:35 pm

Thank you! And I wonder the same myself, and then I hug him again. 🙂

• Reply Pizza Cottontail 18th April 2011 at 2:52 pm

Aaaaaaah! Blood! Aaaaaaah!

• Reply LKD 25th April 2011 at 12:28 pm

Lots and lots. But it has healed really quickly.

• Reply misty 18th April 2011 at 6:08 pm

Such a rough situation but you wrote about it so great!

• Reply Sarah 19th April 2011 at 8:39 pm

Ouchies!! Glad you’re okay! Do take pics of that black eye in case I don’t see it before it fades – got to be good for a few out-there tales to wind folk up 😉

• Reply LKD 25th April 2011 at 12:31 pm

It was gone within a few days, but it did look like red eyeliner for a bit. One more day and I would have matched the other one! Ha!

• Reply goingtogermany0693 22nd April 2011 at 5:32 pm

ER visits are always disappointing, and the waiting, Uggh!

• Reply How Not To Take A Self-Portrait « Gin & Lemonade 4th May 2011 at 8:30 pm

[…] an update on this post, here I am trying to take a ‘seemingly effortless self-portrait’ of the new glasses.  […]

• Reply Give Me Your Best Shot « Gin & Lemonade 28th December 2011 at 4:32 pm

[…] April, a nurse named Karen super-glued my head, and I went to work with a black […]

• Reply The Art of Patience | Gin & Lemonade 13th February 2012 at 3:17 pm

[…] in April, we were on our way to dinner, and I ended up with a rather artistic eyebrow.  In April it was gravel and some stitches.  On Saturday, the front wheel fought with a […]

• Reply Those Fascinating Things | Gin & Lemonade 14th August 2012 at 1:28 pm