Uncategorized

A Schedule, Of Sorts

23rd July 2012

The closest thing I have to a routine these days is clicking through job adverts, and then clicking through Facebook and reading blogs before lunch.  All of this is fueled  by the zombie-coffee Sarge makes for me before he heads to work.  Depending on the mood I’m in/whether it’s a good hair day, he makes me two cups.  I finish one and take the other into the bedroom or on the couch to read.  Or I break out my green leather notebook and write.  Today, the notebook smells of oranges.  I have no idea why.  I usually write for awhile, stare at my computer files.  Then I crank up some music and do laps around the house.  Yes, really.  I might go down to Starbucks, while trying to avoid getting sucked into bookshops along the way.  I get home, write some more.  Tell at least six telemarketers that while we might need a new kitchen, we don’t own the place our kitchen is in.  Have a nice day.

Sarge gets home.  I talk a lot.  He talk not so much.  We eat and watch TV.  I might watch Don’t Tell The Bride while he works on stuff for our actual wedding.  We go to bed.  I get up again.  Stare at files and then a blank screen.  Or not.  I go to bed at two or three in the morning and then it starts again.

Visits with Dad and Anne are now on Saturdays.  We take a transit picnic on the train.  We arrive and conversation is split between Dad’s treatment/the state of his beard and the wedding.

Yesterday, I found myself looking for a job.  For four hours.  I may have sat on the couch and started to fizz.  ‘Apart from meeting you,’ I said to Sarge, ‘this isn’t what I thought my life would be.  How did I get here?’

That particular existential crisis ended in this:

I will write, on screen, every day from 1 pm to 6 pm.  I will finish things.  I will throw worry and doubt and telemarketers out the window.

I have three minutes to post this and get on with it.

So, what does your schedule look like?

• Reply Karen 23rd July 2012 at 1:20 pm

This week I am the luckiest duck that ever waddled. From yesterday to Thursday I’ll be staying up late, working on a massive puzzle w/ my mom, playing Words with Friends & Word Feud w/ family & friends, watching movies, watching my kids, reading, reading & reading and eating ice-cream every day & lots of really good home-made & BBQ’d food — every day as myself, my two kids & my mom vacation in the country. 🙂

• Reply mylifeisthebestlife 23rd July 2012 at 3:18 pm

I wake up at the crack of crazy early, shower, have a coffee with Husbandio and desperately try to get some eyeliner on before the Toddler Tornado wakes up. Then I hustle us off to daycare and work, where I sit down with whatever breakfast is that day, open up WordPress and blog and read my fellow-bloggers whilst attempting to look like I’m doing something worth paying me for.

Then I have lunch.

Then more pretend working until it’s time to go home, pick up the Tornado, entertain her for a couple of hours, put her to bed and then eat with Husbandio and try to pretend like we’re not the oldest people on the planet because all we want to do by 9:00 is go to bed.

All this is subject to change at a moments notice and will be altered completely as soon as I win the lottery.

• Reply RuthG 23rd July 2012 at 4:10 pm

Mine goes like this: Get up at 6:30, exercise for 30-45 minutes, shower & dress, eat breakfast, pack lunch, toddle off to the train; read, pray & work on poems during my train & bus commute (70-80 minutes); work for 7 1/2 hrs with half an hour for lunch in the middle; read throughout my homeward commute (65-80 minutes); have supper (hopefully just heating up from weekend batch cooking); spend the evening on freelance project or answering e-mails or playing word games or doing a bit of house organizing, or doing something social.

Tonight I’m going straight from work to the three-week grammar-punctuation bootcamp I’m teaching.

I totally support your new resolution: just do it (writing)! And I hope you find a job very soon. Love to you.

• Reply LKD 24th July 2012 at 8:47 am

Have I told you I love the idea of grammar-punctuation boot camp? The world needs you, Ruth!

Love you, too!

• Reply writecrites 24th July 2012 at 12:14 am

You might want to get yourself an answering machine. That will stop those pesky telemarketers in their tracks. Works for me. Anybody worth talking to will leave you a message, and you can pick up in the middle of it if you feel like it 🙂

• Reply LKD 24th July 2012 at 8:33 am

I have one. Two, actually. I’m just too nice. And there are loads of calls I don’t pick up and they end up important. Must re-set Caller-ID!

• Reply Hippie Cahier 1st August 2012 at 6:07 pm

I’m on a sort of vacation — just at home catching up on life. Before it started, I had big plans for all the things I was going to accomplish. It’s Wednesday afternoon. I’m starting to feel the pressure of being a vacation underachiever.

I need a new kitchen, too. It is on my list to tell the landlord that the dishwasher isn’t working. I hope I get to that before Monday.

• Reply julie 8th August 2012 at 4:51 pm

Oo! Oo! I was in a similar situation shortly after I got married. It doesn’t feel like it every day but having time to write and finish things is a rare gift. Go for it! (Also: Edinburgh in August? Good luck with that.)