Honeymooners Humor Life On The Road Travel

George's Guide To Belgian Beer

7th July 2013

I know I’m jumping ahead a bit here, but we had a guest on our honeymoon.  George Bailey-Penguin comes with us wherever we go.  And our honeymoon, I learned, was no different.

By the end of our week in Bruges, George  was being recognised by waiters and bar staff, who asked us, ‘Does he go everywhere with you?’

Apparently so.

Here’s George sampling some Belgian beer, so we didn’t have have to.  But we did anyway.

P1010746

Smiske Extra.

P1010750

Westmalle and Mystic Kriek.  George looks happy.  I’m not so sure.

P1010782

GBP’s favourite Belgian beer is Kwak.  Which is, coincidentally, the easiest beer for a penguin to pronounce.

P1010779

Steenbrugge Wit and Kriek Boon

P1010784

Neil’s favourite beer, Préaris Quadrupel and me, his favourite wife with my new favourite beer, Pecheresse.

P1010785

George and Hercule.  I approve.  My kriek beer, on the other hand, smelled like feet.

P1010803

St Bernadus Abt 12 and Vedett Extra White, the only white beer I’ve had that doesn’t taste like piss.

P1010788

La Chouffe, highly recommended by gnomes … and penguins.

P1010808

Karmeliet Tripel, George says pay no attention to the woman blinking behind the beer.

P1010797

We think this was Duvel … it was a long week.

P1010799

With mussels to soak up the booze.  The fries were good, but not as good as advertised … they haven’t lied to us.

straffe_hendrik

Straffe Hendrik Quadruple and Brugse Zot at De Halve Maan brewery.  The brewery was completely inaccessible, but the beer garden was not.

1279_10151559236924412_1130390053_nMe taking a picture of Neil taking a picture of George.  Meta, or something.

George Bailey-Penguin reminds you to drink, and blog, responsibly.

What’s your favourite beer?

• Reply Cherry Bee 7th July 2013 at 1:44 pm

Loving George’s tips 🙂

• Reply LKD 7th July 2013 at 1:54 pm

The Mystic was really sweet, the Boon wasn’t. And I’ve blocked out the kriek that smells of feet.

George is thinking of starting an advice column!.

• Reply Jackie Cangro 7th July 2013 at 3:38 pm

In case George is interested, I have a lady friend he might be interested to meet. She’s a pocket penguin. Instead of a knit cap, she has a dashing scarf.

I noticed that you photo bombed George a few times. Nice.

• Reply LKD 7th July 2013 at 6:13 pm

George is wondering what her name is and he would like to arrange a date!

• Reply John Duff 7th July 2013 at 5:09 pm

I look forward to George’s reviews of the Sangria. “Pay no attention to the woman blinking behind the beer” – hilariously subtle, for the cognoscenti.

• Reply DB York 7th July 2013 at 5:53 pm

I am completely in love with George Bailey-Penguin 🙂

• Reply LKD 7th July 2013 at 6:15 pm

He thinks you’re pretty groovy, too!

• Reply katbiggie 7th July 2013 at 8:21 pm

I love that you A took the penguin everywhere, and B, got him drunk!! What a great post. I love German and Belgian beers, but I agree most of the white beers taste like piss!!

• Reply thoughtsappear 9th July 2013 at 2:20 pm

I think Radley has George’s cousin. So cute!

• Reply Christina Lawrence 15th July 2013 at 10:29 pm

Awesome pictures, I always love the idea of taking a little friend everywhere. My much-traveled friend has a lamb that goes everywhere with him.
    And now I feel like beer even though I am a wine person. I don’t really have a favourite beer, it depends on my mood, but I do tend to like white beer in the sun.

• Reply Claire 16th July 2013 at 6:31 pm

I like Belgian beer so much better than German! When we were in Bruges we went to a bar called the Cafe Rose Red, with dried roses hanging from the ceiling. We too have a travel mascot named Mr Bunny, but we didn’t bring him with us as we’d just got him back after I forgot him in Florence (I can’t believe I did that) and we were staying somewhere different nearly every night and didn’t want to risk it happening again.

• Reply I Don’t Get Work/Life Balance | Gin & Lemonade 26th September 2013 at 5:50 pm

[…] New York to Seattle and back, Hogmanay on Raasay, gin and lemonade in Florence, and her honeymoon in Bruges and […]

• Reply My Top 17 Travel Memories – Gin & Lemonade 27th July 2017 at 2:28 pm

[…] Taking pictures of George Bailey-Penguin.  Getting drunk in Bruges. […]

• Reply fancypaperblog 3rd August 2017 at 9:38 am

Had a lovely time in Bruges doing something similar once!

• Reply Lorna 3rd August 2017 at 9:40 am

Orla, you’re making the same time as Ritu this morning! x

• Reply Lucy Mitchell 3rd August 2017 at 10:40 am

Loved how you used George for this post x

• Reply Shallow Reflections 3rd August 2017 at 12:27 pm

George is a connoisseur, apparently. I like all his reviews and envy him as I love beer and I’m sure I’d love Belgian beer. Fun!

• Reply Traci York 3rd August 2017 at 4:15 pm

I love that George’s fave sounds like penguin for “beer” (at least I think that’s the translation – my aquatic-speak is a bit rusty). I’m boring – my favorite is Guinness.

• Reply Jennifer 3rd August 2017 at 6:15 pm

Not a big beer fan, but love George Bailey Penguin’s take on beer.

• Reply Becca Barracuda 3rd August 2017 at 7:53 pm

This is fabulous. Wish I had George with me on my beer tasting adventures; he seems like he really knows his stuff. Perhaps it’s time for us to adopt…

• Reply globalhousesitterX2 4th August 2017 at 8:47 am

Fun post, Laura. Love the odd glass of beer on a summer’s day!

• Reply Lorna 4th August 2017 at 8:51 am

That’s wonderful. ‘Cept my name’s Lorna. Tell me it was a predictive text mishap and we’ll be OK, ha!

• Reply globalhousesitterX2 4th August 2017 at 8:58 am

Whoops sorry Lorna, over heated brain!! I do actually know what your name is 🙂

• Reply Lorna 4th August 2017 at 9:01 am

I added to my comment to show no love is lost, ha! Haven’t had coffee yet. Soz.

• globalhousesitterX2 4th August 2017 at 9:02 am

LOL, OMG yes I need another cup 🙂

• Reply A London Weekend At The Twin Peaks UK Festival – Gin & Lemonade 14th October 2017 at 6:42 pm

[…] last time we took the sleeper we were headed to Bruges for our honeymoon.  We were ushered into the same halfaroom and bunk beds we slept in our second night of married […]