Writing

This Is What We're Going to Do

1st February 2016

And so, I said yesterday  all the days that I want to write more.

This is how I’m going to do it.

Write 500-1,000 words a day.  Fiction or non-fiction.  Story or essay.

Read a book a week.  Doing Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge to help with this. Although, I really don’t need any help with this one!

Write/Draft one complete short story a week.  From a prompt or my, um, archives.  Open to story sparks, if you’d care to throw them at me.  Might post my efforts here for feedback.

Journal daily.  Not really into the concept of Morning Pages these days.  But we shall see.

Write more snail-mail.  I used to be really big on this.  Freed me up for other writing, and I met some wonderful friends.  Anyone wanna be penpals?

Subscribe to magazines again.  I love mail that isn’t bills.  My favourite magazines have been Lonely Planet Traveller and National Geographic.  What are your favourite magazines?

And y’know, accountability and all that bullshit  good stuff.  I will mostly report back to Isla, ha!  But I’ll also try to blog here at least three times a week.  More is a bonus and may be a list.

A note on time management.  Isla still takes an afternoon nap.  She’s a good kid.  Words will happen when she sleeps, either in the afternoon or at night.

Let’s see if we can pretend there’s 25 hours in a day.

• Reply becomingcliche 1st February 2016 at 2:57 pm

I’d love to be pen pals. One of my goals this year is to write more snail mail.

Don’t overload yourself with goals. That’s my biggest tip. Sometimes I set so many goals that I goal myself into paralysis.

• Reply LKD 1st February 2016 at 6:57 pm

This is why I hate resolutions, ha!

And, YAY! I’ll send you the new address next week.

• Reply Danni 1st February 2016 at 3:34 pm

Through some of my sidework, I got offers for mags on the cheap – so of course I signed up for all the cooking ones 🙂 My favorites are Clean Eating and Food & Wine 🙂 Though Saveur is pretty good too. This is probably not helpful in the grand scheme, but I just figured I’d share 🙂

• Reply LKD 1st February 2016 at 7:08 pm

Anything is interesting. Although, notice how none of my goals involve cooking, ha!

• Reply Gabi Coatsworth 1st February 2016 at 10:17 pm

Story prompt: “I’ve got a job for you,” he said. “Shit,” she thought.

• Reply LKD 1st February 2016 at 10:51 pm

Now, that I can work with. Thanks, Gabi.

• Reply aligeorge 2nd February 2016 at 12:19 am

Mslexia is pretty good if you want to combine the magazine reading with writing prompts/inspiration!

• Reply LKD 2nd February 2016 at 12:20 pm

Mslexia was the first writing magazine I subscribed to, ages ago. Until I started reading you, I didn’t know they were still going!

• Reply Miriam Joy 2nd February 2016 at 1:15 am

There’s a post-it note on my desk with three titles scribbled on it. I think they were from one of Chuck Wendig’s flash fiction challenges? But I now can’t remember because I never did anything about it. Anyway, if you want to use them as prompts, feel free:

– The River’s Mask
    – Future Graveyard
    – Muddy Stars

I hope you find some nice pen pals 🙂 I would offer, but as I can’t really write by hand these days, I’d just end up typing everything and that seems to defeat the point of the snail mail anyway. I wish I could still handwrite more than a teeny bit at a time. (Yay, enduring wrist injuries… one day. Hopefully.)

• Reply Jackie Cangro 3rd February 2016 at 12:50 am

Maybe you can find an online writing buddy to help keep each other accountable with your writing goals.
    You can totally do this! 🙂

• Reply Jackie Cangro 3rd February 2016 at 12:56 am

PS – Have you read Bill Bryson’s new book? I’m about halfway through and really enjoying it.

• Reply LKD 15th February 2016 at 6:14 pm

Thank you, Jackie! I’ve actually been looking for accountability groups. When I get connected at the house, it’s on the to-do list.