Accessibility Disability Life

Day One, Again

13th August 2016

I’d lost track of how long I’ve been at this blogging thing.  But WordPress told me last week.  I’ve been writing at Gin & Lemonade for six years.

Well.

That makes me want to apologise that my last post before this was a muddy puddle.  But I won’t, because y’know, cute kid.

Someone asked me recently how I was doing.

‘Yeah, she’s two.’

‘I know,’ said my friend, in Edinburgh, on the phone, in a building where I used to work.  ‘But I asked about you.’

‘Oh.’ Actual-ha-ha-dry-laugh.  ‘Ehm.  ‘How ’bout you go first?’ I said.

Because I don’t know how I am.  But I’m trying to find out again.

Our very big medium-sized house in the country is set on sloping gravel that we’re getting paved.  The first step in that process was widening the front door and ramping over the front steps.  That happened over two very noisy days last week.

We took Isla to Inverness for the weekend, on a trip that included getting stuck behind some elk at the safari park, catching Pokemon and Finding Dory.

And came back to a finished ramp into the house.

I know, I went very quickly from ‘me’ to ‘we’ again.  But my point is this.  I plan to use the ramp to get out more.  Yes, I’m looking forward to racing Isla all around the house, but maybe I’ll go further and take a class somewhere, and go for coffee more often, take the camera places.  Fill up some new notebooks.

I have been out of the house before this, but the spontaneity and heart is taken out of it when your husband breaks his toe on the ‘portable’ ramps (one track for each wheel) that the OT department gave you.  (Thanks, but no thanks, but thanks?)

And so, new ramp, new me?  Not quite.  Because I like me.  But I’d like to do more of the stuff I like: writing, working, blogging, laughing, finishing coffee, talking to people who aren’t two. Maybe working outside this house.  And yes, making sure Isla eats and sleeps and learns and laughs.  Because when she does all of those things it’s like I’m doing those things.

But more ‘me’ things on the list, I think.

And so, hello. How are you?

• Reply Carol 13th August 2016 at 2:54 pm

Definitely more me things. It’s important to not forget me.

• Reply A Confessed Bibliophile 14th August 2016 at 3:34 am

Oh my gosh, your life sounds like my life. But after I lost my job last year, I realized that all I had been doing was working, working, taking care of my daughter, cleaning, loving my daughter, working, cleaning, loving my family, oh and some sleep thrown in.

That’s when I began art journaling and reading more. I finally realized that it’s okay to do something that is purely and selfishly just for me. Even if that means sitting her in front of the tv for an hour in the evening and cuddling with her on the couch while I engross myself in a novel. Or asking my husband to take her to the park so I can have a moment alone with my art supplies.

Those moments are necessary. They aren’t really selfish, they are more like self maintenance.

• Reply LKD 15th August 2016 at 5:08 pm

Working on it…

• Reply becomingcliche 14th August 2016 at 5:19 pm

I’m so happy you have a new ramp and some new opportunities! That is wonderful!

It is amazing how the “I” turns into “we” when we spawn. You’ll get back in touch with the you. It just takes time. Enjoy yourself. Or yourselves. Whichever applies.

• Reply LKD 15th August 2016 at 5:15 pm

It is enjoyable, mostly. And I’ve managed to find a few extra hours by being awake from 4-6 am. Just happens.

• Reply Danni B 15th August 2016 at 6:00 pm

Working so hard on so many things, I’m actually looking forward to my company retreat next week.