Humor Isla Says Life

10 Things I've Learned From Playing Design Home

15th November 2017

The closest I get to any kind of interior design is watching re-runs of Designing Women.  Because I am an old, nostalgic, sarcastic soul.  What I am not, is a very visual person.

I’ve moved house A LOT in my life, and my stock answer to ‘Where do you want this?’ is ‘Gimme all the books.’

When my friends and family move or redecorate I sit in the corner reading the old newspapers Aunt Dolly’s dinner set is wrapped in, getting high on paint fumes.

My own rooms do not have themes.  There’s books.  And piles.  And piles of books.

I fit other stuff around the books.

I can’t visualise how things will look until someone else arranges it and I then ask them to move shit around get it out of my house.

However.  I recently tried to carve out a new writing nook.  I looked at home tours and room makeovers and Property Brothers.

And I found Design Home.

I’ve been playing it for a few weeks now, and here’s what I’ve learned/re-affirmed about myself and life in that time.

1.  I hate beige.  Unless we’re in Provo.

2.  I really like blues.  I really, really like any kind of blue.

3.  I should live on the beach, in a coastal living-room with rustic accents.  And a purple couch.

4.  I should live in Brooklyn.  With a leather couch and a purple rug.

you-see-that-rug-i-had-it-really-tied-the-room-together-man

6.  I’m very competitive.   That got a 5?  Why do all the beige rooms and people get 5s?  My eclectic style orange couch with purple rug and crazy accent chair would like a 5.  And what accent does the chair have?  Cuz if it’s French or something maybe it doesn’t need your 5, anyway.

7.  I like floor lamps that look like trees.

8.  I’m very critical of hotel rooms now.  Unless they would get a 5.  That chair doesn’t go with the bed.  Why do I care?  READ A BOOK.  What fresh hell style is this?

9.  It’s not a mistake.  It’s a ‘design choice.’

10.  I’ll stick to writing and leave the decorating to Isla.  She’s so much better at it than me, obviously.  Take this recent-ish conversation:

Me: *side-eye* What are you doing?
Isla: Drawin’ on the wall.
Me: Why?
Isla: Because I want to brighten up the place.
Me: Fair point.

22140949_1493023980734486_5785327016051821370_n

5 stars!

• Reply sarahjuneblog 15th November 2017 at 2:39 pm

This is such a fun post! And it did make me laugh!

• Reply Judy E Martin 15th November 2017 at 4:41 pm

I am no good whatsoever about visualising how a room would look after a makeover, nor do I like decorating! Luckily my husband is and does, so I told him the colours and he sorted out the room and it does look lovely in yellow and duck egg blue.
    I like your daughter’s artwork, she is not afraid to use colour either. 🙂

• Reply josypheen 15th November 2017 at 5:04 pm

I hate beige too!
    I am not sure why, I mean it is pretty inoffensive. I’m not sure why it offends me.

We seemed to have matched quite a few things in our flat to our cat. He is a nice dark shade of grey which works well for sofas. Plus then it’s harder to see all his cat hair…

• Reply Lorna 15th November 2017 at 6:12 pm

We need another Monty update over here. 🙂

• Reply josypheen 15th November 2017 at 8:23 pm

You are probably right. Whenever Marc’s or my family call they are like “how’s Monty!.” He seems to be missed on your side of the pond!

• Reply fattymccupcakes 15th November 2017 at 8:06 pm

You kill me, Josy. That.is.awesome.

• Reply fattymccupcakes 15th November 2017 at 8:06 pm

OMG!! I had a major addiction to this game and I spent actual, real dollars on it. Also, I was legit mad when my fabulous designs were rated low. I was OBSESSED. For the health and safety of myself and others around me, I quit. It is a crazy fun game, though. I also love the crap out of blue! I am also a huge fan of greys. I am not hugely offended by beige, but yes, the overly-beigey designs ALWAYS rated higher. Beige Assholes…

• Reply Lorna 15th November 2017 at 8:24 pm

I’m sensing some sort of blogging friendship telepathy. I sent that message and then you popped up here!

• Reply Reflections of an Untidy Mind 15th November 2017 at 11:13 pm

🙂

• Reply Cait 16th November 2017 at 4:29 pm

this is a great post and seriously how hysterical ha – my toddler is all over this too.

• Reply HuiXL 16th November 2017 at 6:13 pm

Thank you for introducing this game! I’m really into interior design but haven’t had a chance (or the money) to implement my ideas.

• Reply Jenna VanHoof 16th November 2017 at 6:55 pm

I gave that app an try and I wasn’t 100% pleased with it (I admit I watch Property Brothers and stuff on Netflix sometimes) but I can relate to this post and it gave me a laugh. Some of the stupid designs that go together look stupid and the modern ones yuck, I never knew I had a sense of interior design until I played this, now I need to re-download lol

• Reply Lois Alter Mark 16th November 2017 at 8:25 pm

This game sounds so fun- and a little stressful! I could totally see myself getting competitive with it! I’m redecorating a few rooms in my house right now- maybe this will help me to actually settle on a single design!

• Reply ideasbydalba 16th November 2017 at 8:42 pm

I’ve actually never played that game! I’m going to have to look it up if for nothing else to satisfy my curiosity now. I suck at decorating and sometimes my apartment ends up looking like a mix match of every style possible!

• Reply Ariel Mosimann 16th November 2017 at 9:27 pm

omg I love this! So much fun to read and the walls do look more bright!! There is nothing wrong with having piles of books everywhere! (otherwise I am very wrong). I actually really like to decorate, but I like to find inexpensive ways of doing things. When my husband and I bought our first house I went nuts with different shades of blue. He was kind enough to support me in our new mint, navy, grey home hahaha

• Reply shannon 17th November 2017 at 1:34 am

I miss designing woman. It was such a good show. #oldladyatheart

• Reply Lorna 20th November 2017 at 10:34 pm

*Clinks glass with yours*

• Reply balboaglor28 17th November 2017 at 1:51 am

Congrats on finding a new found hobby! I find myself getting addicted to design games as well. I mean talk about the OG design game The Sims (it’s still my shit!). Loved your post your humor makes me chuckle!

• Reply Lorna 18th November 2017 at 11:13 am

When I started playing The Sims (years ago). I thought I bought the German version by mistake. Because WTF language is that? True story.

• Reply Nikki G (GwinGal) 17th November 2017 at 4:07 am

LOL I am going to have to check this game out! I would definitely vote for your #6 room!
    🙂 gwingal

• Reply Lorna 20th November 2017 at 10:35 pm

Thank you, Nikki. <3

• Reply achildof 17th November 2017 at 4:29 am

You made me laugh. I needed that giggle 😊😊

• Reply Lorna 18th November 2017 at 11:14 am

Happy to oblige. 🙂

• Reply Jennifer L 17th November 2017 at 6:30 pm

Haha I love Design Home it’s seriously addicting to do the challenges. It’s getting harder and harder to get those high scores let skin a 5 but still such a fun game. And I’m all about the carpet to the everything together!

• Reply Lorna 18th November 2017 at 11:18 am

I’ve decided that 3.95 is even more annoying than 4s.

• Reply Fatima D Torres 17th November 2017 at 7:49 pm

Ha! Love the Meme on 5. And it’s so true. I was actually addicted to the game after we purchased our home. I loved the idea of adding rugs to everything!

• Reply Sondra Barker 18th November 2017 at 3:27 am

This is so funny! I would love to try this out.

Sondra xx
    prettyfitfoodie.com

• Reply Kiwi 20th November 2017 at 9:28 am

Why does Design Home seem like The Sims? I am happy you are having fun with this game…it really does remind me of the sims a little.

• Reply Lorna 21st November 2017 at 10:15 am

It’s kinda like that without the people and actions, ha!

• Reply beccajtalbot 23rd November 2017 at 10:01 pm

Haha this made me laugh! As someone who will be moving into a new home soon and looking to decorate, I have very similar views about beige lol x

• Reply Jenn Leach 18th December 2017 at 6:01 pm

Haha, I liked the side eye comment. So funny, I needed this.

• Reply Kim Lee (@KimsCravings) 18th December 2017 at 9:07 pm

What a funny post! Definitely gave me a good laugh!