Life Writing

We're Moving Back To Edinburgh

22nd January 2020

I should start by saying I wanted to open with a title to create suspense, but Neil said if I put ‘announcement’ in there it would sound like something else. And nothing doing. Which is unfair on many levels.

So the title does what it says: We’re moving back to Edinburgh!

Regular readers will know that we moved from Edinburgh to the country four years ago. My postnatal anxiety was still a thing, and I honestly thought the fresh air would help. Not so much.

Anyway, we’ve kind of spent the last two years trying to get back to the city. Or around it. We spent a lot of time trying to find a wheelchair accessible house.

And after so many almosts, I needed a break.

I mentioned in my last post we went on a road trip. We like to do that, and it happens a lot. But I didn’t spill on the reason this time.

We turned house alerts back on over New Year. Found one that might be suitable. To avoid disappointment, I sent my wheelchair measurements to a family friend who did a video walk through for us, and we made a second appointment to see it ourselves.

But I like to have options and didn’t want to travel to see one place. So Neil sent me the link to another place. (We send each other messages from the home office to the kitchen.) So, he sends the link and I reply YES! and we actually have two appointments.

This happened kinda fast, so the next day we got in our accessible car, and followed the rain down to Edinburgh. Rain is good luck. I also asked for good vibes on Facebook. But I kinda vague-booked and didn’t say what for. Sorry. And thank you.

We actually stayed in my old neigborhood in Glasgow and took the bridge to Edinburgh. A flying visit, as my Dad says. Except in the car.

Which is where I had a panic attack, right before place numero uno. But I mananged to get in all the rooms, even the bathroom. And the bedroom that would be Isla’s room is kinda bigger than her current room. So.

Good vibes going into the second appointment. Where I couldn’t get a turning circle, or wedge into the rooms.

And so, we applied for the first one. Went back to Glasgow and took Isla to the restaurant where we met. But it’s a different place now.

And then the coffee place where we continued our first date. The one we went back to countless times. And then he put a ring on it at that table.

After I proposed.

Our kid, a ballon, and some static.

‘My Mummy and Daddy had their first date here,’ Isla says.

Time is weird.

‘I think they know. Because I’m crying.’

All because two people took lettuce off their burgers at the same time.

After that we headed up the road. I may have started to pack books.

No call.

I couldn’t eat.

Call.

I ate everything.

And now there’s a to-do list. And boxes, and we’re moving back to Edinburgh.

We’re renting, but just this morning I’m reading this post about maximizing accessibility in your home.

As for me, I’m on a quest to down-size and declutter.

I’m also open to Edinburgh blogger opportunities. Hi.

To everyone who has followed the journey so far, thank you. Stay tuned for the next chapter.

Subscribe to get a roundup of posts and other groovy stuff every week!

• Reply Ritu 22nd January 2020 at 12:48 pm

Oh, how exciting!
    We’re looking to move this year, too!

• Reply Rachael Stray 22nd January 2020 at 12:48 pm

Lorna I am so thrilled for you! Finally!!

• Reply Nicole 22nd January 2020 at 12:50 pm

I love how Isla’s smile just sums up this whole post.

• Reply Danni Ever After* 22nd January 2020 at 1:38 pm

So happy for you – fingers crossed that I’ll be writing a moving post this time next year!!!

• Reply Lorna 22nd January 2020 at 1:40 pm

We should collaborate on that declutter challenge!

• Reply Danni Ever After* 22nd January 2020 at 1:53 pm

Oh the joys of dredging through old memories!!! New post about that today!!

• Reply Lorna 22nd January 2020 at 1:55 pm

I found some of my baby pictures this morning!

• Danni Ever After* 22nd January 2020 at 1:59 pm

OMG YAY!! I used the last shower gel from my hoard this morning. Its ridiculous but I’m so proud of me.

• Reply samfiftysomething 22nd January 2020 at 1:41 pm

Good luck with the move – love the half eaten bun, just the topping!

• Reply Darlene 22nd January 2020 at 1:48 pm

Congrats on the move. Now the fun begins.

• Reply Rhonda 22nd January 2020 at 2:14 pm

Yay! I’m so happy for you. Best of luck on the move!

• Reply Rebecca Moon Ruark 22nd January 2020 at 2:52 pm

This is just so awesome! Four years is a long time to be in the wrong place, and I think I can hear the relief in your voice. The lists and packing will happen. Isla can help?? Enjoy–and congrats!

• Reply Angie 22nd January 2020 at 3:02 pm

Yay for you! But packing, ugh. The end results will be worth it. Looking forward to more tales of the adventure. πŸ™‚

• Reply Invisibly Me 22nd January 2020 at 5:20 pm

Aww this is fab! An exciting new chapter to come… Β β™₯😊
    Caz xx

• Reply Debbie from Deb's World 22nd January 2020 at 6:24 pm

Such good news to read! Happy days ahead

• Reply Gabi Coatsworth 22nd January 2020 at 6:56 pm

Wonderful news. I remember you were happy there. πŸ™‚

• Reply Popping Wheelies 22nd January 2020 at 7:05 pm

Looking forward to moving with you in spirit, especially since I don’t have to do the actual moving! There is something about moving that opens up hope and encouragement. Good luck with everything.

• Reply Lorna 22nd January 2020 at 7:10 pm

Thank you, George! I’ve always enjoyed moving, but also being home.

• Reply Rowena 23rd January 2020 at 10:43 am

Congratulations on your new home – how exciting! I love that you had a trip down memory lane with Isla. 😊
    All the very best with the move and decluttering!

• Reply Chips and Cookies 23rd January 2020 at 4:11 pm

I am so happy for you! We lived in the country when my daughter was born. It was beautiful, but I was so isolated that depression became a very real thing. We moved to a city before that first year was up.

I am SO GLAD you’ve got an accessible house! SO HAPPY! And decluttering is good in so many ways. KonMari the junk out of your life. She says keep books that spark joy, so don’t listen to the haters who say she says you can only have 30 books. If it sparks joy, you keep. If it does not, thank it for its service to you and move on.

• Reply fashionandstylepolice 24th January 2020 at 10:48 am

I can feel your joy of moving back to Edinburgh in this post. Good luck with the move and the declutter.

• Reply Jayne SMABL 25th January 2020 at 10:58 am

Lovely to hear about your move! I hope all goes well and that you will be super happy in your new home! So nice to see you back at #MMBC. x

• Reply ChelseaMamma 29th January 2020 at 6:25 am

Glad to hear that you have found a suitable home and good luck with the move