Coffee Talk Humor Life These Are A Few Writing

Finding Zen On An Ordinary Day

3rd August 2017

We travel down to Edinburgh on Saturday and fly to New York on Sunday.  Things have been a little hectic around here, but we are nearly ready to go.

I’m looking forward to being on the plane.  Planes are where I don’t have to take any phone calls, charge any phones, or answer questions harder than ‘chicken or fish?’

The last time we were on a flight, Isla slept through most of it.  She can have the window seat this time, and I’ll just spend the whole flight looking at her face looking out the window.

When I need five minutes, I look at Isla’s face.  Because right there is most of the stress-buster I need.

These other things work, too:

Isla’s tackle-hugs in the morning and when she still sees fit to fall asleep on me at night.

When I manage to get the heel of her sock on the heel of her foot.

The time between when Isla goes to school and when my PA arrives in the morning.  Even though I love all the people, it’s nice to be just me.

And Neil.

Coffee, coffee coffee.  When Neil makes it.

Music.  Something to dance in the kitchen to.  Or close my eyes and experience.  Songs are events to me.

The first page of a new book.  The middle page of an old book.  And marking all the books as read on Litsy and Goodreads.

That sweet spot somewhere where my own words flow and I don’t have to reach for them.

New notebooks, filled notebooks.  Any notebooks.

And the times when the stuff in them isn’t half-bad.

Hearing characters in my head and just having to dictate for them.

A well-placed hyphenated swear.

Hitting ‘Publish’ on a blog post.

The intro logos to movies.  The middle of movies.  The credits of movies.  But not so much leaving/turning off the movies.

That time of day when I think I’m going to watch all the TV in an hour, but settle in with Judge Judy.

Good theme songs on TV shows

That time when I pick up Isla and get a crinkly-eyed smile and THE BEST hug.

Burning popcorn, just enouogh.

New car smell.

The sweetness and possibility of an ice-cream shop.

Being hungry and knowing I’m going foodwards.

Trip-planning.  Being on trips.  But not necessarily the end of trips.

Road-trips.

Level pavements.

Hearing ‘Hi, Mumma.’

And also, ‘G’night Mumma.  Loveyou.’

A new day.

Where do you find your five minutes?

IMG_2683

• Reply Beth 3rd August 2017 at 3:17 pm

I love this post! I find my five minutes in a good cup of coffee, reading a good blog post, nighttime snuggles with Ollie before he falls asleep and the sleepy snuggles I get with him in the morning, and cat purrs from the fur babes.

• Reply Beaton 3rd August 2017 at 5:39 pm

hitting that [PUBLISH] Button ✔
    The first page of a good book ✔
    Movie Credits with a great theme song and a great soundtrack and pausing the credits to see the soundtrack titles✔
    Listening to a music playlist made up of songs I found in movies sometimes tv series✔
    ~B

• Reply Lorna 3rd August 2017 at 5:43 pm

And I’ve been meaning to say thanks for the pointers on my logo, revamping some stuff when I get back from the trip!

• Reply Beaton 3rd August 2017 at 7:51 pm

Oh that… you are welcome ^_^ glad if the pointers were of any help😄
        ~B

• Reply Liesbet 3rd August 2017 at 10:31 pm

On the toilet? Just kidding. When writing my diary every evening, I suppose. Although, that takes much longer then 5 minutes.

• Reply mylibraryandothermischief 4th August 2017 at 11:21 am

Lovely post! 🙂 It started me listing all the nice things from my day so far and has put me in a much happier mood. Sometimes just reflecting for a moment can really uplift you, Thanks! 🙂

• Reply Lorna 4th August 2017 at 6:49 pm

I’m glad it started something for you!

• Reply mahbuttitches 4th August 2017 at 4:29 pm

For me, I lose myself in my journal as long as I can. There’s something about putting my brain to paper that helps me find me within the chaos 🙂 Great post!

• Reply Lorna 4th August 2017 at 6:51 pm

Yeah, getting words out there makes room for other words!

• Reply fattymccupcakes 6th August 2017 at 2:24 am

“Foodwards”. This needs to be in my vocabulary yesterday.

• Reply thatblogwherecheriemovestogermany 15th March 2018 at 11:20 am

At the breakfast table, drinking a quiet coffee with Dirk. Hanging the laundry, and washing the dishes are quiet and peaceful times for me. Lots of nice things when you slow down to enjoy them.

• Reply anhistorianabouttown 15th March 2018 at 11:21 am

it’s puppy cuddles for me now 🙂

• Reply Lutheranliar 15th March 2018 at 1:12 pm

Pure poetry: “She can have the window seat this time, and I’ll just spend the whole flight looking at her face looking out the window.”

• Reply Lorna 15th March 2018 at 1:56 pm

That’s pretty much what I ended up doing. I’ll see if I can dig up another photo!

• Reply gemmaorton 31st May 2018 at 11:38 am

‘Songs are events’ I love that! I get it.

• Reply notebooksandglasses 31st May 2018 at 4:51 pm

I have 5 minutes with a coffee and time outside doing absolutely nothing (except drinking my coffee).