Books Coffee Talk Reading

My Top 10 Books of 2017

14th December 2017

And so, Goodreads says that I’ve read 33 books this year.  My target was 50, so not quite there, but I did read some good ones.

This post contains, um, one affiliate link.

10.  All The Missing Girls, Megan Miranda – 5 stars, and I finished this at 4 AM.  And I cried at the end.  This year, tears have meant a good review.

9.  The Fact of A Body: A Murder and a Memoir, Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich –  This read like a Netflix documentary.  That was the good part.  The interesting part was that certain aspects of this book didn’t um, sit well with me.  And yet, I kept reading and it ended up in my top reads of the year .

8.  The Lauras, Sara Taylor – LOVED THIS.  I believe this was my first 5- star rating on Netgalley, too.  Actually, all the stars.  Took this book on a road-trip, and it was the perfect companion.

7.  The Burning Girl, Claire Messud – This book was quietly creepy. As I read on, I got the feeling that it was all going to implode. Beautifully written and real. Very, very clever. Read it! I will be reading all of the author’s other books. Don’t know what took me so long!

6.   Heating & Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs, Beth Ann Fennelly  – Another Netgalley read (now published).  Officially my quickest read of the year! The emotion of this one sneaks up on you while you’re marvelling at the clear, deceptively simple writing.

5.  Kill The Father, Sandrone Dazieri – Holy shit. What an actual roller-coaster this book is. And I haven’t been this invested in a quirky fictional duo since The Millennium books. And the writing was so beautiful and funny. The translation so fluid. And Italy. Of course. The actual case I wasn’t so down with, but bring on the next book. And y’all have to read this one.

4.  My Brilliant Friend, Elena Ferrante –  Seriously, what took me so long to read this?

3.  Midnight at The Bright Ideas Bookstore, Matthew Sullivan  –  Loved it! 10 stars! Everything I like in a book. A bookshop, quirky characters, random family, a little mystery. Perfect read! Bought a coupy of this to read quotes aloud to my husband, and maybe another copy to throw at my friends. READ THIS! My only question is will there be more Bright Ideas books?

2.  The Roanoke Girls, Amy Engel –  This was another creepy one that took me about 5 hours to read.  I honestly could not do anything else til I finished it.

1.  The Unseen World, Liz Moore –  Saw a little bit too much of myself in Ada.  This was the first book I read this year, and still my favorite.

More about my reading year can be found here.  And if you’d like to purchase any of the books I talked about, or any book at all, please consider doing so through my Book Depository affiliate link.  I’d get a small commission on your purchase at no extra cost to you.

Merry Bookmas!

How was your reading year?

chuttersnap-348302

Photo by chuttersnap on Unsplash

• Reply La Shell 15th December 2017 at 1:52 am

Oooooooh! The fact of a body sounds interesting. Is it a true crime book? Or fiction?

• Reply Lorna 15th December 2017 at 8:13 am

Two parallel-ish true crimes. I think you’d like it!

• Reply Sophie Chennell 15th December 2017 at 11:08 am

I love reading books, so will definitely be picking some of these up to read. Never heard of them but by your descriptions they sound interesting!

• Reply You Can Always Start Now 15th December 2017 at 11:15 am

I haven’t read anything major laterly. At the moment reading mysteries as easy with so much to do. Shared to Facebook so I can check out and see what is available at the library for over the holidays.

• Reply thatblogwherecheriemovestogermany 15th December 2017 at 12:02 pm

I have done a lot of re-reading of my favorite books this past year. This coming year, my daughter and I will be doing a reading challenge to help us get out of our same ole same ole ruts. It’s time I try something new, although i am sure I will continue to re-read my Neil Gaiman books over and over again too.

• Reply Ella 15th December 2017 at 1:25 pm

I definitely need to start reading more books! I just struggle to find many that I like. This looks like a good list and although you wanted to read 50, 33 is still very good going

• Reply BermudaOnion 15th December 2017 at 2:28 pm

My wish list just grew – I’m sad to say I haven’t read any of those.

• Reply Lorna 22nd December 2017 at 10:20 am

That makes me happy, because I add to my TBR from your posts!

• Reply gemmaorton 15th December 2017 at 4:37 pm

I haven’t actually read any of these! Pinning and adding to my list.

• Reply Lorna 21st December 2017 at 8:25 am

Merry Bookmas, Gemma! Let me know if you read any.

• Reply gemmaorton 22nd December 2017 at 10:06 pm

Will do. Must get more reading done next year!

• Reply Kerry LifeandLoves 15th December 2017 at 7:53 pm

so many of these books sound right up my street. I love books that are a bit creepy, and detective type books. I think i am a frustrated PI haha! I will look some of these up, thanks for sharing x

• Reply Lorna 15th December 2017 at 10:13 pm

Kerry, honestly, if they fight crime, I read it! x

• Reply Madelain 17th December 2017 at 6:18 pm

Thanks for the list. I’m going to look up The Burning Girl.

Madelain | http://www.wheremyheartwanders.com

• Reply Lorna 19th December 2017 at 10:13 am

That was a great one, Madelain! Let me know what you think when you read it.

• Reply Bookstooge 18th December 2017 at 1:10 pm

Hey Lorna,
    sorry to keep banging on this drum, but….
    You’re not coming through the wordpress feed at all. And when I look at the people I follow and it gives the last time they updated, it still shows you as 10 days ago, which obviously isn’t correct.
    I don’t think it is directly a WP thing, as another blogger I follow, Bookwraiths, is now a dot com and I have no issues with him in my feed.

I’m not trying to say “fix this NOW” or any such thing 🙂 but did want you to know that is still going on.

Cheers!

• Reply Lorna 19th December 2017 at 9:50 am

Thanks. I updated the Jetpack plug-in to the newest version and the Reader now includes this post, and my latest. Today’s post isn’t up yet, ha! Hope that fixes the issue! 🙂

• Reply Bookstooge 19th December 2017 at 11:42 am

Thanks for the update.
        I also unfollowed and then re-followed just to make sure nothing is off on my end.

• Reply Ritu 21st December 2017 at 9:42 am

And I’ve read none of them!!!!

• Reply Lorna 21st December 2017 at 10:50 am

Holidays are ace for new books, though! xox

• Reply Ritu 21st December 2017 at 11:33 am

True!!!

• Reply LaurenEph 22nd December 2017 at 12:37 pm

I haven’t read any of them either! I’m hoping to read more next year – do you use goodreads? I’ve been wondering if that might help me read more.

• Reply Jackie Cangro 22nd December 2017 at 12:23 am

Wait…I’ve missed a book about bookstores?? I hadn’t heard about Midnight at The Bright Ideas Bookstore. I’m on it, like now.

• Reply Lorna 22nd December 2017 at 8:14 am

Jackie, I hope you love it!

• Reply Shallow Reflections 22nd December 2017 at 1:59 pm

The best book I read this year was “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” by John Boyne. A powerful little novel written from the viewpoint of a young boy during Nazi Germany. I can’t get it out of my mind – that is when I know I’ve read a good book! I haven’t read any of the ones on your list, though they sound terrific!

• Reply Lorna 22nd December 2017 at 2:05 pm

I still think that book, even though I read it years ago now. And I’ll be getting two copies of your book, Molly!

• Reply Shallow Reflections 22nd December 2017 at 2:14 pm

You share my love of that book and thank you so much for buying mine! I hope the Boomer on the Ledge brings you or your gift recipient a chuckle!

• Reply angelanoelauthor 22nd December 2017 at 5:40 pm

I’m embarrassed to say I have read none of these–but happy to say that your recommendations make me want to! I agree, a book that makes me cry is an automatic 5 stars. Then again, occasionally I do tear up over things as dumb as a commercial with a cute dog in it–but still.