Books Reading

January Reading Wrap Up & What’s On Next

31st January 2018

Today I thought I’d do a January reading wrap up with the help of WWW Wednesdays.

The bullet points are:

• What are you currently reading?
  • What did you recently finish reading?
  • What do you think you’ll read next?

And link-up details can be found here.

My current reads are:

The Dry – Jane Harper

This is something I’ve actually been in the middle of for ages.  I recently re-clicked it on my Kindle, because I want to read the second in the series, ha!  Love this book.  Great insomnia companion.

This also counts toward my effort to read all my unread/unfinished books.  There are A LOT of those around here.

Magpie Murders – Anthony Horowitz

You guys, I’m actually reading a book I mentioned in my January book haul.  Is that extra reader points or something?

Goblin – Ever Dundas  –

Medium-known fact:  I have a thing for cleverly written quirky characters.  And World War 2.  Triple intrigued because the author is a book group friend.

(I have a signed copy of Goblin to give away in a review-how-I-do-them post coming up soon.  Stay tuned.)

DIY MFA – Gabrielle Pereira

Because this is as close as I get to DIY.

Recently finished:

The Wife Between Us – Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen –

Honestly twisted.  Read it.

The Woman In The Window – A.J. Finn

Wow. Felt like I was in this story. Figured out the first twist, but not the others. Spent the whole book wondering when this would be made into a film.  That’ll be a thing.  Read it faster.

My first finished reads of the year were from Netgalley.

And on deck, we have:

As Isla says, ‘sumfin else, sumfin else, sumfin else…’

And I asked this question elsewhere earlier this week, What’s the one book you wish you could read again for the first time?

A few site notes:

I will be doing a post a day in February, anyone who wants to follow along, please push the buttons, as I say.

I’ll also be participating in InCoWriMo – anyone who wants a postcard or other snailmail from me, I can do that, too.

pexels-photo-264635

Photo from Pexels

• Reply thatblogwherecheriemovestogermany 31st January 2018 at 12:40 pm

The book that I would like to read again for the first time is “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” It is still one of my favourites, and I feel like it is pure magic every time I read it.

• Reply angelanoelauthor 31st January 2018 at 1:05 pm

I wish I could read Harry Potter again for the very first time. Even though I was an adult when it arrived in my life, and I scoffed at first at the idea of reading a kid’s series, when I fell, I fell hard.
    I’ve not read any of the books on your list so far, which is excellent (and terrible). Excellent because it sounds like there are many more good ones for me to read. And terrible because there are SO MANY GOOD BOOKS and I’ll never get to read them all.
    I am interested in that InCoWRiMO idea. I checked out the website and I think it could be kind of amazing. What made you decide to join?

• Reply Lorna 31st January 2018 at 1:22 pm

I used to be really into penpalling, I only stopped recentlyish – want to feel that connected to people and writing again, y’know? Heard about InCoWriMo from Tiffany over here: https://www.acceleratedjoyworks.com/the-ajw-approach/ – who I connected with in another blogging group. Did you know there were other groups?!

• Reply angelanoelauthor 1st February 2018 at 12:15 am

Hard to believe other blogging groups exist. 🙂 Accelerated Joy Works sounds like an interesting spot to hang out, too. I really like the InCoWriMo idea. Thinking, thinking, thinking… I should just buy a bunch of cards and go.

• Reply johnrieber 31st January 2018 at 1:06 pm

Great list, and a great question: Lucy Irvine answered a want ad in a paper and ended up living on an island off of Australia – her memoir “Castaway” was made into a movie in the 80’s – it’s terrific and her sequel “Faraway” even better – here is something I posted about her:

Being in the US, I had to read “Fire & Fury” about our completely broken political system and Presidency, but next will jump back into the Department Q nordic noir thrillers from Jussi Adler-Olsen…I am on the sixth one in the series – here is a look at the nordic noir genre:

• Reply Lorna 31st January 2018 at 1:30 pm

Neil’s reading Fire and Fury. I’m next.

• Reply anhistorianabouttown 31st January 2018 at 2:01 pm

I’m currently reading Stoned,a history of jewels and gemstones and why we are obsessed with them- it’s actually really interesting so far! If I could read anything for the first time again, it would probably be the Anne of Green Gables series. I would love to have a “first time” view from an adult’s perspective! (Also, I’m finally able to read again, so this post made me quite happy 🙂 )

• Reply Kelsey @ There's Something About KM 31st January 2018 at 3:05 pm

I’m taking your comments on The Woman in the Window as the final (thousandth) hint that I need to read it ASAP. As far as a book that I wish I could reread for the first time, my answer is I’m Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid, because that book cannot be reread the same no matter what. I would say I’ve talked that book to death but that’s not possible! 😉 Although I do wish I could read the Harry Potter series for the first time again, as a child/young adult.

Cheers to a productive February! 🙂

• Reply Rebecca Moon Ruark 31st January 2018 at 3:39 pm

Thanks for your list. My pile on my nightstand is always so tall! I just finished David Giffels’s memoir _Furnishing Eternity_ and will (fingers crossed) get to interview him (again) about it at https://rustbeltgirlblog.wordpress.com/. I’m reading Celeste Ng’s novel _Little Fires Everywhere_ because it’s set in my native Cleveland, OH (U.S.) and am liking it okay. I’m loving Bonnie Jo Campbell’s story collection _Mothers, Tell Your Daughters_, because, well, Campbell is who I want to be when I grow up! I seem to be in a story collection mood, so might pick up Jo Ann Beard’s _The Boys of My Youth_, something of a classic collection at this point, next. Read for the first time again: probably _Angela’s Ashes_, for the laughter and cathartic tears!

• Reply Lorna 31st January 2018 at 4:12 pm

Little Fires is in my next stack! And I recentlyish read Once Upon a River, old-fashioned good, ha!

• Reply gemmaorton 31st January 2018 at 4:03 pm

Every time I read a Gin book post there are more books added on my ‘to read’ list!
    Saved this incowrimo thingy, may be interested.

• Reply Lorna 31st January 2018 at 4:17 pm

Cool beans! Anything extra bookish you’d like me to post about in Feb?

• Reply gemmaorton 31st January 2018 at 4:22 pm

I’d quite like to know more about your reading life (sorry if I’ve missed this already, there’s a lot to read over here😊). The when where and how of your reading. Books v tablet. Tips on how to read more.

• Reply Lorna 31st January 2018 at 4:24 pm

That I can do!

• Reply Sam 31st January 2018 at 4:17 pm

I’ve seen The Wife Between Us in a few places and it looks really twisted. I’m glad you e joyed it. Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

• Reply bettylouise31 31st January 2018 at 4:42 pm

THE DRY and MAGPIE MURDERS are on my TBR list. My link is

• Reply Lorna 31st January 2018 at 5:26 pm

Betty, I think you will LOVE Magpie Murders.

• Reply bettylouise31 31st January 2018 at 5:49 pm

It’s has been on my mind for awhile. I might have even read it.

• Reply Laurel-Rain Snow 31st January 2018 at 5:02 pm

I loved The Wife Between Us, The Woman in the Window, and The Dry. Magpie Murders sounds good.

Love the title of your blog! I tried to subscribe for e-mail notifications of posts…but I got a message that there was an error. Sigh. Thanks for sharing your books, and here’s MY WWW POST

• Reply Lorna 31st January 2018 at 5:22 pm

Hi, I’m really sorry you had trouble subscribing, thanks for trying. I get an error when I’ve subscribed to too many sites (!) and have to go through my pending list before adding more. Also have issues when I sign up using an email that isn’t associated with my wordpress account. Hope that helps. You can also sign up for my weekly newsletter here:https://app.convertkit.com/landing_pages/311220 or with the pop-up that pops after a bit. Thank you!

• Reply achildof 31st January 2018 at 5:07 pm

Perfect timing for me as we are headed out on vacation in two days. Will be trying out ‘The wife between us’. 🙂

• Reply Lorna 31st January 2018 at 6:46 pm

Just put two and two together on Instagram, too, ha!

• Reply Jenn @ Bound to Writing 31st January 2018 at 5:50 pm

I’ve never heard of InCoWriMo, but it sounds really fun. I’m definitely going to be looking more into it! Here’s my WWW post https://www.boundtowriting.com/www-wednesday-january-31/

• Reply Jackie Cangro 1st February 2018 at 12:05 am

To satisfy your quirky character quota, have you read Sourdough by Robin Sloan? I zipped through it — fun and lighthearted.

Looking forward to your post-a-day February!

• Reply Lorna 5th February 2018 at 7:50 pm

That’s next! And thank you, I missed yesterday, but it’s been interesting.

• Reply Anonymous 3rd February 2018 at 9:29 pm

• Reply Lindsay Hill (@bookboodle) 4th February 2018 at 6:00 pm

Good luck with your post a day during February. I’ve participated in the A-Z April Blogging Challenge and know how much hard work and effort has to go into it!
    Thanks for linking with Talk of the Town 🙂

• Reply Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops 5th February 2018 at 4:35 pm

Oh there are so many books I wish I could reread for the first time! I would probably have to pick the All Soul’s Trilogy. InCoWriMo sounds interesting! #ToTT