Books

A to Z Reading Survey

20th February 2018

OK, so.  My self-imposed post-a-day challenge is in the shitter, because I hate small talk.  My head is so full-of-thoughts, there’s no time in the day to do them justice.

How many ways can you say I feel like I’m losing a bit of myself every day without sounding like a depressing cow?

My solace is reading.  And Isla, but she’s three and I might be clingy.

So, books.

I found this A to Z reading survey from The Perpetual Page Turner, and I thought I’d share my own A to Z here.

Author you’ve read the most books from:

Paul Auster, Tess Gerritsen, Alice Hoffman

Best Sequel Ever:

The Girl Who Played With Fire, Stieg Larsson

Currently Reading:

Force of Nature, Jane Harper

Drink of Choice While Reading:

Coffee or cider.

E-reader or Physical Book?

Both.  Read about how I became a Kindle convert over here

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:

Laurie from Little Women.

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:

The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas – Didn’t read it for ages due to the hype, but so glad I did.

Hidden Gem Book:

Broken For You, Stephanie Kallos.  I read it in Seattle.

Important Moment in your Reading Life:

Reading The Crow Road in Highschool.  Reading Death and The Penguin as part of my Neil 101 course.   Also, I couldn’t read A THING when I was pregnant with Isla.  But I’d happily take that sort of reading break again.

Just Finished:

The Dry, Jane Harper.   First consecutive reading of a series I’ve done.

Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:

Maudlin triumphing over any sort of adversity told without humor.  Seriously, fuck off.  And I used to say I hated historical fiction, but now that the 80’s are classed as history, that’s kind of not true anymore.

Longest Book You’ve Read:

After Goblet of Fire, Goodreads says it was Maeve Binchey’s Circle of Friends at 722, and um, the novelisation of The Killing at 720.

Major book hangover because of:

The Unseen World, Liz Moore.

Number of Bookcases You Own:

2 4×4 triple stacked Ikea specials, and one tall one.  And y’know, my entire house.

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:

The Divine Secrets of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Rebecca Wells.

Preferred Place To Read:

On a road-trip.  On a plane.  In my bed.

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:

Probably something from the Lucille Ball and Judy Garland biographies I’ve read.

Reading Regret:

What kind of idea is this?

Series You Started And Need To Finish(all books are out in series):

Harry Potter, Dublin Murder Squad, Penn Cage, Rizzoli & Isles, Stephanie Plum, and the Neopolitan Quartet.

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:

The Crow Road, Iain Banks.  The Divine Secrets of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Rebecca Wells.  Sense & Sensibility, Jane Austen.

Unapologetic Fangirl For:

Edward Stanton (Edward books, Craig Lancaster)

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:

Kill The Angel, Sandrone Dazieri.  Out today.  Burning a hole in my Kindle.  Also, Leah On The Offbeat, Becky Albertalli.

Worst Bookish Habit:

Over-buying, under-reading.  My shelf of half-read books.

X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:

On Writing, A. L. Kennedy.

Your latest book purchase:

Autumn, Ali Smith

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):

The Woman In The Window, A.J. Finn

What about you?

IMG_1791

• Reply FranL 20th February 2018 at 7:36 pm

Oooh fun! Maybe I’ll try this later!

• Reply johnrieber 20th February 2018 at 7:50 pm

This is terrific! Bear with me – I am going to include a couple of links which you don’t have to check out, but I’ve posted about book that fit several of your questions. First, books I have to read all of: Jo Nesbo’s “nordic noir” thrillers about Detective Harry Hole, and Jussi Adler’Olsen’s Department Q series of mysteries about Danish detective Carl Morck – here is a look:

I read a lot of travel books as well – “wanderlust” I guess, and a woman named Lucy Irvine has written three incredible non-fiction books about her life, lived mostly on a south seas island – she’s an inspiring woman:

One last one category – I love food books as well, and one Writer spent time at the world’s most experimental culinary temple, El Bulli – here is that story:

I will also say that, while I have several dozen books now on my iPad, I still love a real book…hanging on for as long as they make them!

Worst bookish habit? mixing up the “read” and “unread” ones so I forget sometimes as I’m about 75 behind!

Again, a terrific list of Q&A, thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply Lorna 20th February 2018 at 8:12 pm

Your linking always makes sense, ha!

• Reply Anonymous 20th February 2018 at 7:51 pm

4.5

• Reply thebeasley 20th February 2018 at 8:03 pm

Oh this is a great idea. And I’m just like you in that, I over buy books and under read them. I do love a historical novel though. They’re kind of my weakness.

• Reply Lorna 21st February 2018 at 10:33 am

I’m also reading Sweetpea. It’s like Bridget Jones with a twist.

• Reply thatblogwherecheriemovestogermany 20th February 2018 at 9:27 pm

Oh! I love this!! Of course my attention span is currently in the shitter (more than usual), so I haven’t finished anything that I have started. I need to find some focus and finish at least one book.

• Reply Lisa Orchard 21st February 2018 at 12:14 am

I’m a huge Alice Hoffman fan! I just finished a couple of WWII books that Haley might be interested in because she likes historical fiction per the above comment. I’ll have to write about them this week on my blog. 🙂

• Reply Lorna 21st February 2018 at 10:35 am

I do like WWII fiction too, Lisa. Looking forward to your post!

• Reply Julie Davide 21st February 2018 at 4:08 pm

I’ve heard so many great things about The Dry.. I need to get that one my TBR! Great post. I may need to try this one myself!

• Reply Lorna 21st February 2018 at 4:12 pm

And I was just over at yours talking about The French Girl. PS. READ THE DRY, ha.

• Reply gemmaorton 21st February 2018 at 4:16 pm

Totally forgot there was a new Edward Stanton book I hadn’t read yet. Thanks!

• Reply Lorna 21st February 2018 at 4:19 pm

Gem, you must. Have you listened on audio? The narration is perfect! x #TeamEdward

• Reply gemmaorton 21st February 2018 at 8:23 pm

I’ve NEVER done an audiobook. Is that bad?

• Reply Lorna 21st February 2018 at 9:05 pm

No, but they are such fun! x

• gemmaorton 21st February 2018 at 9:17 pm

I’ve always thought I should stick with the voices in my head (don’t worry!) and that maybe audio would change how I perceived a character. But maybe I should give one a go.

• Reply Lindsey 21st February 2018 at 6:11 pm

I like this. I have seen a lot of Q&A posts but never one about books and reading habits. this was fun

• Reply Lorna 21st February 2018 at 6:20 pm

There are a bunch of bookish surveys out there, I liked Jamie’s questions on this one. I enjoy the format of set questions and like to get creative with my answers.