Books

January Book Haul & Mailbox Monday

8th January 2018

Please consider this my first official book post of 2018.  The plan is to make bookish posts a more regular thing around here.  Because apparently you groovy people like it when I gush about books.

Hi.

It is dark and cold on Skye (but not as cold as New York, apparently.)

My point is, we got new lightbulbs.  So my blog photos wouldn’t look so fucking dark.

Lookit:

January Book Haul - Gin & Lemonade

Books pictured:

Magpie Murders – Anthony Horowitz – A book within a book that Neil found for me in Tesco.  On a booze run.  In Edinburgh.  Winning.

Homegoing – Yaa Gyasi – Actually the only book I bought for myself recently.  Because Hayley said so.

Light The Dark: Writers on Creativity, Inspiration, and the Artistic Process – Christmas present from Neil.  I may have cried.  Because he knows me so well.  And it wasn’t a book I already had.

The Burgess Boys – Elizabeth Strout – One of two books from my wonderful Secret Santa from my international postal book group.  I already have this one.  But that’s OK.  It’s very difficult to buy me a book that I don’t already own.  And Ashley’s copy as Isla would say, is beautifuller than mine.  And she sent me The Midnight Assassin  which looks intriguing.  And sometimes I think that’s the best thing a book can be.  Thanks Ashley, for the books and the bookish socks.

And I did get the last two books in the mail today, which covers me for Mailbox Monday over here.  Hi.

And guess what, the titles aren’t linked anywhere.  I don’t care how you acquire books, as long as you read them.

Related post to follow:  How to send stuff to your international friends without melting your credit card.

What have you been reading this first month of 2018?

• Reply johnrieber 8th January 2018 at 7:28 pm

A terrific list of books to get started on in 2018!

I am a political junkie, so I had to jump into “Fire & Fury”, but I like to do a back-and-forth between fiction and non, so next up will be the Department Q series of thrillers from Denmark called “The Hanging Girl” by Jussi Adler-Olsen. If you don’t this “nordic noir” series, here is a post I wrote about them:

• Reply Lorna 8th January 2018 at 7:38 pm

I love Nordic Noir. Haven’t read any Alder-Olsen yet. But I love Nesbo!

• Reply johnrieber 8th January 2018 at 10:56 pm

The Department Q novels are very intricately plotted, and very well written…worth trying the first one and see how you like it!

• Reply Danni 8th January 2018 at 7:45 pm

I can’t wait to dive into Fire & Fury.

• Reply Lorna 8th January 2018 at 7:50 pm

That’s another one I ordered. I don’t mind buying it, but my Dad says wiki is offering a free download?

• Reply johnrieber 8th January 2018 at 10:57 pm

I just started last night – it dives right into the chaotic world inside Trump’s team – fascinating and yes, very troubling as well

• Reply Danni 8th January 2018 at 7:37 pm

Too much! I’m reading a book about Santa Muerte, as she is apparently my saint. Get Your Shit Together, because it’s way past time I did. And Horrorstor on my commute bc I got it at the Strand & it looks like an Ikea catalog ☺

• Reply thebeasley 8th January 2018 at 7:54 pm

Haha, I love the “because Hayley says so”. If only my daughter obeyed me so well. Cheers Lorna x

• Reply Lorna 8th January 2018 at 8:13 pm

You should have t-shirts made for the book club, ha! x

• Reply thebeasley 8th January 2018 at 8:43 pm

Haha this is SUCH a good idea.

• Reply Gill 8th January 2018 at 8:19 pm

I’ve recently discovered Philip Pullman having been given ‘Dust’ as a birthday present in October. I was hooked immediately and asked for the ‘His Dark Materials’ trilogy which my brother gave me for Christmas. I’m about to start book 2!

• Reply Lorna 8th January 2018 at 8:46 pm

Hi Gill, hope you enjoy book 2. I have the whole series as well. Somewhere in the house, ha!

• Reply richardaustinwriter 8th January 2018 at 9:09 pm

Command and Control by Eric Schlosser – interesting bio of nuclear weapons and the way we hang by a thread to our existence. Bit heavy going in places but other bits are fascinating.

• Reply LaurenEph 8th January 2018 at 9:13 pm

I’ve just finished The little book of lykke. A Christmas present I really enjoyed reading. I’ve not started another book yet. It’s always my downfall in my endeavour to read more, the gap in between books!

• Reply fancypaperblog 8th January 2018 at 9:17 pm

I adore looking at new books. I am reading Mark Watson ‘Hotel Alpha at the moment and it is pretty good 😊

• Reply Elizabeth P. (Silver's Reviews) 9th January 2018 at 12:36 am

Do you live in the Isle of Skye? Loved when I visited there.

Nice books…ENJOY…hope to see you more often.

Have a wonderful week.

• Reply Bookstooge 9th January 2018 at 1:41 am

Looking forward to that “ship books cheap internationally” post…

• Reply Lorna 9th January 2018 at 4:06 pm

It’ll be up tomorrow.

• Reply englishwithkirsty 9th January 2018 at 3:31 pm

I love the idea of you writing about books on your blog – it’s always good to get new inspiration. I’ve decided to do a monthly book post too, but January’s isn’t written yet!

• Reply Lorna 9th January 2018 at 3:53 pm

I’ll be looking forward to yours. This is just acquired recently. What I’ve actually read will be posted at the end of the month.

• Reply MarthaE 10th January 2018 at 3:42 am

Hello Lorna – You got some very intriguing books. Hope you enjoy them all. Happy Reading!

• Reply Jackie Cangro 10th January 2018 at 9:26 pm

Great book haul! Can’t wait to get your thoughts about Homegoing. That book had a lot of good buzz here, but I haven’t had a chance to read it.

• Reply Lorna 13th January 2018 at 2:27 pm

Here, too. It’s beautiful so far.

• Reply Rebecca Moon Ruark 12th January 2018 at 7:58 pm

I’m reading Louise Erdrich’s _Future Home of the Living God_ and am dissapointed. It’s dystopian but feels too near-future, so everything feels too much like a comment on today’s American society, which comes off as a little preachy. From this author, I guess I just want insight into Native American culture–what she does best. Not sure if I’ll give up on the book halfway in; I might like the MC character enough to want to know if she survives doomsday.

On another note, I hope your mom is doing okay. Sending you and her positive thoughts from the U.S.!

• Reply Dana 12th January 2018 at 9:24 pm

I loved Homegoing! So well written and powerful. I am currently reading Fierce Kingdom and really enjoying it. And I’m listening to The Poisonwood Bible, which is one of those books I’ve always meant to read and never did.

• Reply Lorna 13th January 2018 at 2:30 pm

Poisonwood is one I’m read this year as part of the unreadshelfproject on Instagram.