Books Coffee Talk

Have You Ever Double Booked?

18th February 2018

So, a family trip to the library yesterday resulted in some unintentional parenting humor today.

(I couldn’t remember if I had the book, but wanted to read it.)

Two copies of Here I Am means that freaking song in my head all day. (linking it becomes interesting.  So I won’t.)

Apparently,  I could use this mug, too.

Have you ever bought the same book twice?

P.S. Follow my Instagram for book stacks, road trips and micro fashion from the kid, ha!

• Reply Losing the Plot 18th February 2018 at 12:49 pm

I have, once. Silk, by Alessandro Baricco, now I’m wondering where the copies are, one in particular is exquisite, just a beautiful little book to cherish. I love the prose, the words are delicate which works well within the setting. I’d love to be able to write like that

• Reply Lorna 18th February 2018 at 1:32 pm

OK, I think I have to read that one. The recentish translation is the same translator as The Neopolitan novels. I’m intrigued.

• Reply Losing the Plot 18th February 2018 at 2:02 pm

its been such a long time, I should give it a re-read, see if it stimulates my (lost) love. I’ve never regained my mojo after the whole leg breaking incident, its a bit of a bollox, the flip side being the writing took off. So – balance?
        What about Umberto Eco? you ever tried his work? I loved Name of the Rose and Devoured Foucault’s Pendulum, then foolishly lent my copy to someone who never returned it. Lesson learnt.

• Reply Lorna 18th February 2018 at 8:15 pm

Neil’s been trying to get me to read Eco for years. This might be the year I do.

• Losing the Plot 18th February 2018 at 9:27 pm

I found the first two chapters of Foucault’s Pendulum really hard to get through, but then I couldn’t put it down. The Name of the Rose I found easier, as I had already seen the film, but my word the book was so much more. I wouldn’t necessarily go near The Island of the Day Before, I wouldn’t say it was his best work.

• Reply Lorna 25th February 2018 at 9:25 am

I found Silk yesterday(!), while hanging out in a secondhand bookshop. If you’re still missing it, I’ll send you this copy when I’m done?

• Losing the Plot 25th February 2018 at 9:31 am

You are very kind! Thank you, that would take me to three copies 😂😂😂, it’s Foucault’s Pendulum that I need to replace lol!

What a really thoughtful offer though, I really appreciate that 💕

• Losing the Plot 25th February 2018 at 9:32 am

And I hope you enjoy it after me bumming it up 😬

• Reply johnrieber 18th February 2018 at 4:26 pm

I have given a book to someone to read, didn’t get it back, so bought it again so i’d always have a copy in case I wanted to re-read it – do I ever? One out of ten so far but there’s still plenty of time!

• Reply Carol 18th February 2018 at 4:28 pm

I have bought the same book more than once – which is why I love reading on the Kindle app, because Amazon will tell me if I’ve already bought that book before. Good thing one of us has a memory.

• Reply Kim Alt 18th February 2018 at 5:11 pm

Never double booked however……that song is forever stuck in my head! Finger family and the shark do-do-dododo

• Reply Lorna 18th February 2018 at 5:29 pm

I HATE THE SHARK. Hi. I love you.

• Reply maryandjohnineurope 18th February 2018 at 6:21 pm

I get new books as gifts, usually ones that I am wanting, BUT …… I do buy most of our books at Charity Shops. I find new releases all the time. People read them once and then don’t want to keep them ???????? Well, I found these two AMAZING books the other day. So excited. Take them home and there are two identical ones on my bookshelf. I had obviously thought they sounded incredible and by two of my favourite authors…. gahhh! I felt good re donating them ….. I will now read them ?

• Reply Lorna 19th February 2018 at 8:25 am

I knew I wasn’t the only one, ha! What are the AMAZING books?

• Reply Chomeusewithachou 19th February 2018 at 12:37 pm

I own three of four copies of Pride and Prejudice, none of which I bought myself. I quite like having them all, the notes are all different as different editions and I can put a copy into different spare rooms for guests to read and still have my favourite in my own room.

• Reply SickChristine 19th February 2018 at 7:17 pm

I’ve read a book and then reread it but not realized it until a few chapter in and then gotten super aggravated that I wasted time on a few chapters I’ve already read.