Coffee Talk Disability Life

My Husband Told Me To Make A Spreadsheet

8th October 2018

I’m sitting here drinking my cup of coffee, flipping through some purple-inked pages in an actual marble composition book, trying to blog my way out of an afternoon slump.

Edit: It’s now actually 8.50 at night. Dinner, a webinar, and Roald Dahl happened before I could finish this post. Time is weird.

Hi. Who’s (still) with me?

If you’re interested, here’s my daily routine. For real.

Get up, tell Isla that it’s too cold to wear a dress, suggest she wear jeans, and meet her halfway and make her put tights on under her dress.

‘I’m going to stand here until you brush your teeth,’ I tell her.

‘But you’re sitting down, Mummy.’

‘Never mind, it’s a saying. Brush your teeth.’

If it’s a good day, I pass a hairbrush through her hair and we call it done. Mostly she walks past me while I’m there with the brush. Same thing?

Then she and Neil get in the car and listen to experimental music or The Beatles on the way to school.

Depending on the day, I have three or four hours to myself while Isla is at school. I write or blog or futz around on FB, and think about writing or blogging.

My PA comes in and I get ready to go pick up Isla at school. We make lunch and do puzzles and sometimes make puzzles out of lunch.

There’re showers in there, sometimes road-trips, sometimes dance class, sometimes a playdate or boredom, sometimes I watch my kid bake or watch her while she watches TV.

My point is, if I don’t get writing or blogging done while Isla is at school, that day’s words take longer to appear.

When I know what I’m writing or um, have a plan, morning writing leads to an afternoon blog post. Hi.

And then we get days like today, when the PA leaves, Isla is chilling out, Neil comes out for tea, and I’m all, ‘but what should I BLOG about?’

‘Penguins,’ he says. Which is legitimately his answer to everything.

This time I said ‘No, penguins were last week. With the writing prompt post.’

So he says, ‘Do a spreadsheet of your key topics, and rotate them, so you don’t repeat yourself, but cycle through so you know what day is what.’

Now. This is not new news.

And the fact that my husband told me to do a spreadsheet, probably means that I won’t do an actual spreadsheet. At least not now.

But it did get me thinking about what my blog focuses are. What I talk about and what I want to talk more about.

Here’s what I got:

Disability

Specifically mine, which is CP. Wasn’t it World CP Day recently, or something? Whatever. For me, it’s every day.

Parenting

Specifically how my CP and wheelchair use makes the parenting gig more interesting. Not better or worse than regular parenting (because it is regular parenting.) Just more interesting.

Writing

Because damn it, I will write a book. Several books. Fiction books. Maybe a book out of this blog. Which is not fiction. Hi. There’s also my weekly writing prompts over here.

Displacement

Or something. See, I’m not local to anywhere. I was in New York til I was 12 and then I moved to Scotland and the concept of home is complicated for me. Mostly comprised of individual people, and not a place. That’s weird. Share my weirdness.

Travel

Accessible, family travel. Even when it isn’t.

Coffee Talk

I’d like you to think that my posts are conversations over coffee. Because most of the people I would choose to have coffee with, I can’t have coffee with. So I blog.

And I also blog about blogging. But that’s Wednesday’s post.

And if you blog about one of those things, or a few of them, I want to read YOUR blog.

What does your blogging schedule look like?

IMG_0613 5

Cheesecake is my blogging buddy.

• Reply Ritu 8th October 2018 at 9:29 pm

My schedule has become a regular Sunday Spidey post, my new chai and a chat on Monday and a while host of prompts on other days!
    If something comes to mind it pops up on my blog!!!

• Reply Lorna 8th October 2018 at 10:05 pm

Please keep the Chai chats going!

• Reply Ritu 9th October 2018 at 6:39 am

I shall try!!!

• Reply An Historian 8th October 2018 at 9:38 pm

Sundays are for culture, Mondays are for personal development, Wednesdays are for a life tip, Fridays are Style File Friday, and Saturday is for another culture or throwback piece! I find that having a schedule helps me stay on track, and helps my readers find exactly what they are looking for 🙂

• Reply Lorna 8th October 2018 at 10:01 pm

You are a ninja! Also, happy Canadian Thanksgiving.

• Reply Christy Davis 8th October 2018 at 9:42 pm

I love reading your posts, no matter what they are about. When I first decided to start blogging, iknewit was going to be hard to stay on a schedule since I work full time (and then some) out of the home and kids/grandkids activities..but I did really well with Wednesday and Sunday posts, for a while. Now I just try to fit posts in when I can and talk about how I need to get more organized. I took a vacation day today.. so I wrote a blog post. 😊

• Reply Lorna 8th October 2018 at 10:04 pm

Thank you, Christy. I appreciate that. Whatever you’re doing, keep going!

• Reply HistorianRuby 8th October 2018 at 9:54 pm

As discussed in today’s blogiversary post – I don’t schedule. I’m rubbish at it, I’m too indisciplined to keep to it. I’m also impatient, and when I write I want to publish immediately. I did try once and managed six whole weeks for a Wednesday post. If I’m on target for 2 posts in a day, then I’ll schedule for 1 a.m. so that I’ll have a single post for the day, but that is about it. 🙂
    FYI, I’m enjoying your posts 🙂

• Reply Lorna 8th October 2018 at 10:14 pm

Thank you, Ruby, and Happy Anniversary of sorts.

• Reply johnrieber 8th October 2018 at 10:14 pm

Terrific post as always. I try to wake up 30-45 min early every morning, make a pot of coffee, do a five minute scan of the internet and then write. If it’s a lengthy post, like my Orient Express entries have been so far, it takes a few days, and if it’s #31daysofHalloween like it is now, I bastardize something from a few years ago, put some new stuff in to make it feel fresher, and send it out. Boy, even as I type this I don’t like myself.

• Reply Lorna 8th October 2018 at 10:17 pm

I keep meaning to comment VINCENT PRICE on your recent blog post. So, VINCENT PRICE.

• Reply johnrieber 9th October 2018 at 1:54 pm

Yes indeed. Thanks for home video and streaming services, legends like this won’t be forgotten!

• Reply Popping Wheelies 8th October 2018 at 10:42 pm

I’m with Ruby, no schedule. Every time I come up with a schedule I wind up with a doctor’s appointment or something. I did make a list, and each time I had an idea for a topic I wrote it down. I had 4 things but can’t find the list!

• Reply Carol 9th October 2018 at 12:59 am

You jest, right? Schedule? If something is on a schedule, I probably don’t want to do it. I blog when there are words roaming around in my head, pounding on what they hope is a door to let them escape As to topic – who the heck knows? Not I.

• Reply rapinderkaur 9th October 2018 at 5:26 am

Great post! I’m still new to blogging.. my 3rd month. The first month I was kinda consistent with my posts atleast 2 per week.. but 2nd month just 1-2 in the whole month! I returned to my full time job so with that and kids and housework.. time issue. But I guess if I do have a schedule on hand about what I want to write I might be better at getting it done. Thanks for sharing!
    – Rapinder at onelifethislife.com

• Reply rachaelstray 9th October 2018 at 9:58 am

I don’t have a set schedule for what content I write about I did originally but found it didn’t work for me. I do post regularly Sunday and Wednesday though. I do want to think about topics and being more organised but I really don’t have the time until December so will keep plodding on!

• Reply The Avid Book Reviewer 9th October 2018 at 10:36 am

I don’t have a blogging schedule. I tried one a while ago, but I was rubbish at sticking to it. Now, if I can blog at least twice a week, that’s great.If I don’t have anything to say though, then I’m not going to force myself to write.

• Reply englishwithkirsty 9th October 2018 at 11:11 am

I’ve been thinking about this too, and how my focus has changed since I started. There have definitely been more opinion posts this year and less make-up. The most popular posts are the disability-focussed ones, but somehow I want to keep the balance because I don’t only want to write about that. There’s more to who I am, even though my disability gives me a different angle on many of the other posts, such as travel and whether things are accessible.

• Reply Lorna 9th October 2018 at 11:24 am

That’s my thought. The disability and access is infused in everything, because it’s part of my life. I haven’t talked about the CP because that in and of itself doesn’t really affect my life, it just is.

• Reply Debbie Harris 9th October 2018 at 10:05 pm

I love reading your posts, it feels like I’m right there with you!! I don’t have an actual schedule apart from my regular wordless Wednesday’s but I do try to post every few days or just whenever the urge strikes. I enjoy responding to prompts, when I remember to, and never publish more than one post at a time. My blogging is a fluid being….

• Reply notebooksandglasses 9th October 2018 at 10:21 pm

I publish my main posts on a Sunday and Friday. I sometimes throw in the odd “I’m so glad I…” series post too. I wish I had more time to set a proper writing/editing/publishing schedule but I don’t. I love being organised with my blog and it keeps me on track. Great headline for this post, btw 😃

• Reply Lorna 9th October 2018 at 10:25 pm

Made that much more interesting because you know he is Super Geek.

• Reply josypheen 9th October 2018 at 11:55 pm

I don’t blog about any of those things, so you’d think we’d have nothing in common…but I keep coming back anyway. 🙂

Neil is probably right that you should add more penguins into your blogging schedule. 😉

• Reply Anindya 10th October 2018 at 6:05 am

My schedule will have listening and checking out music, whenever there’s opportunity 🙂 and I love sharing my favorite music with everyone, everywhere, including my blog too. Otherwise, it’s office, lots of reading on my kindle, watching detective series like Wallander, Happy Valley on the box, weekly checking out of new movies at the theaters, good food and coffee, and playing ping pong better known as Table Tennis…:)…..and I love writing in my blog from time to time, springing up posts with freedom of topics, my blog being personal in nature….currently loving taking part in your writing prompts…:)

• Reply fancypaperblog 10th October 2018 at 5:08 pm

I try to get one out per week. I aim to post for Saturday or Tuesday. It is hard to get time.

• Reply You Can Always Start Now 11th October 2018 at 10:54 am

I work better on a deadline. Also I’m a list person (maybe spreadsheet to Neil) if I see if on my list I am move motivated to get it done.

• Reply gemmaorton 11th October 2018 at 1:43 pm

My schedule? Ha. I try to post weekly, no set day but I do seem to write more at the weekends. My posts are mostly about adventures, so that can depend on how fun/dull my life is. I’ve bren trying to write more chat/musing style posts. I’m not very good at talking about me, in a personal way. I want to a bit more. A bit more heart. Like you I’ve not really talked about my SMA much, it’s not just about the wheels. In fact it’s not really about the wheels at all. Maybe that should be the title of my next post…

• Reply Kate 14th October 2018 at 6:35 am

I have a list of topics saved in a file somewhere, but I rarely refer to it. The real challenge is coming up with the time and energy to post. Even when I think it’s going to be a quick, easy one, it’s always a grueling, all-day affair (often 2 days). Once a week is all I can handle. I, too, write about writing as well as personal development. I also do book reviews (I owe multiple friends reviews at the moment), but I usually try to work in some sort of writing or self-help lesson. Coming up with SEO-friendly headlines for those is a nightmare!

• Reply Lorna 14th October 2018 at 9:42 pm

I feel you! Even the short ones take me 5 hours. For titles I sometimes use Co-shedule’s Headline Analyzer.

• Reply Laurie Stone 30th October 2018 at 8:29 pm

It took me about a year of blogging to find out what I like to blog about — mostly family life. Before that, I wasn’t sure. I only blog once every other week. I know bloggers who can do everyday. Wish I could, but we all have to find our sweet spot. I really like your blog.

• Reply justmuddlingthroughlife 9th November 2018 at 11:11 am

well I am blogging everyday but some evenings it is taking me over 2 hours to write 600 – 700 words. Its then trying to work out what to say so it seems half way interesting to read. Im also aware that the book im supposed to be writing is not getting written – excellent procrastination..

• Reply Trudy 10th November 2018 at 7:34 am

I’m so envious of all of you being so organized with spread sheets and stuff. I know that I could set one up and then my luck would be to displace it or as what has recently happened save to the laptop that will no longer turn on. Maybe one day I’ll be that level of blogger.