Humor Life Wedding Planning

How To Save Money For A Wedding

28th August 2012

As I write this, there are 290 days, 23 hours and 49 minutes to go until Sarge and I stick a hyphen between our last names.  Because this is an equal relationship.

We have been ‘trying to save money for the wedding’ since we got engaged.  Having said that, Sarge recently admitted he’d been carrying around Frodo Bob Ring-Box since before we went to New York, so maybe he’s been saving longer than that.

Without taking a screen-shot of the wedding fund, it’s safe to say there could always be more in there.

In order to cover the to-do list and throw a really good party because we’re only going to do this once, we have come to certain agreements.  Turns out they’re flexible.

No book-buying.  Unless it’s second-hand, for the book group, or a birthday.  This one is mostly for me.  Saying that, if Sarge didn’t collect his own books, we probably wouldn’t need to save for a wedding anyway.  We’ve discussed this.

No take-out.  Unless it’s once a month.  On a weekend.  This one is going pretty well.  This is also the cut-back that will ‘enhance the silhouette’ of my wedding dress.  Because it has one.  And I always thought the idea was not to enhance it.  But I’m wrong.  Apparently.  Go figure.

No movies.  Unless previously owned.  By us.  This one is really just Sarge’s ploy to get me to watch more of his John Waters collection.  Crafty bastard.

No cable TV.  We own, or have borrowed, quite a few series box-sets.  Currently working our way through Arrested Development, which will be followed by Dexter.

Cut down on non-zombie coffee made outside of the house.  This is also mostly mine.  And I’ve been failing at it.  But I may try this frappuccino recipe.

Piggy Bank

Piggy Bank (Photo credit: 401(K) 2012)

No gym memberships.  Sarge has taken his bike out of retirement and I can do laps.  Anywhere.  That also helps with the silhouette.

Do you have any fun money-saving tips?  Other than I should get a job?  Because I’ve been trying.  And really, that’s a money-making tip.  Not the same.  What we’re trying to do is enhance the silhouette of the money we already have.  Or something.   Because there’s only 290 days, 22 hours and 23 minutes to go now.

• Reply calypte 28th August 2012 at 4:39 pm

D’you fancy trying writing book (etc) reviews for a few pennies? I write for a website that pays a very little for reviews, could send you a referral.

• Reply LKD 28th August 2012 at 8:04 pm

That works, thank you! 🙂

• Reply calypte 31st August 2012 at 9:52 am

Not sure the email I have for you is still valid – if you don’t get a referral within the next couple of days drop me a note!

• Reply Miriam Joy 28th August 2012 at 4:42 pm

I like what you say about the hyphens 😀 I saw an amusing post on Tumblr the other day where they suggested that instead of hyphenating names or dropping one name, we should just squash names together, like shipping names for fictional characters. However, I think after a couple of generations they would get ridiculous.

• Reply LKD 28th August 2012 at 8:10 pm

I’d like to read the article, do you have the link? Sarge already smashes it together, which sounds French. I’m sure that will add another layer of cultural confusion in years to come!

• Reply Hippie Cahier 28th August 2012 at 5:10 pm

Are you selling ads on your blog? I hear those are raking in about 0.158 GBP per month.

• Reply LKD 28th August 2012 at 8:15 pm

Ads kinda make me twitch. George would, however like to share blog mascotship, (not an actual word), with the Oma. He’ll be on his way back to you next week, after a meeting with my Dad!

• Reply madamesaslow 28th August 2012 at 5:16 pm

I just started paying myself $5 (the cost of parking) every time I bike downtown for work instead of driving. It helps enhance both figures.

• Reply LKD 28th August 2012 at 8:27 pm

I’d prefer a bike I could ride in my living room while watching Judge Judy! 🙂

• Reply becomingcliche 28th August 2012 at 7:28 pm

Hit the library hard. That may help you through the book withdrawal. And get the hang of really inexpensive recipes. If you aren’t already vegetarian, remove the meat from your diet a couple of days a week. You’ll save a lot.

• Reply LKD 28th August 2012 at 8:24 pm

We are very much carnivores, but I am researching recipes that will entice me to eat veggies. Do you know of any good ones?

And instead of picking up randoms from the library, I’m actually ordering stuff I want to read. Waiting is interesting, Currently waiting for Shadow of Night, the sequel to the one you didn’t like. :/

• Reply becomingcliche 28th August 2012 at 8:32 pm

My favorite recipes involve cheese. Sarge would not be pleased. But I did a recipe for black bean burgers on my blog, and those are soooo good that you might forget that you’re not eating meat. And no cheese, unless you want it!

• Reply Karen 29th August 2012 at 4:28 am

Collect loose change in a jar. You’ll be surprised how quickly it adds up!

• Reply LKD 29th August 2012 at 8:44 am

We have a piggy bank for that!

• Reply Karen 29th August 2012 at 12:44 pm

Oops..Oh, yah, I did see that. 🙂 How about return plastics and bottles for the deposit? Do they collect a deposit on cans and bottles in Scotland?

• Reply Valerie {all mussed up} 1st September 2012 at 6:14 pm

Ooh, the books! I feel your pain. I buy strictly 2nd hand, but even then…it tends to add up. (:

• Reply Steven Harlan 3rd September 2012 at 1:42 pm

Shorten the wedding-planning timeline, schedule the wedding in off-peak times, choose any day other than Saturday.

• Reply Naomi Baltuck 28th November 2012 at 12:37 am

You have hit the most important ways to save. Movies, eating out, and using libraries instead of buying books are the easiest ways I know to save money without impacting life too much. They are also the most relatively exorbitant outside experiences that you can replicate on your own if you don’t have to see a movie the same night it is released.

Good luck, and congratulations.