Disability Humor Life Wedding Planning Writing

Thinking Outside The Shoes

16th April 2013

And so, I’ve kinda spent all day looking for wedding shoes.

It’s no secret that my original ‘bridal vision’ involved Doc Martens. I got one of those visions after I figured out what exactly a bridal vision was, and I’m still not really sure. Anyway, wedding Docs. Problem is, I don’t really like white. Or flowers.

But I saw myself in wedding boots for a few reasons. I need the support, and I can’t wear something that I step out of while dancing. Because it may fly across the room and hit someone in the head. And that would be dangerous. For them.

On my wedding day of all days, I’d like to avoid slippery shoes. I also don’t like heels, and the feeling is mutual.

Another reason I was thinking boots is because I don’t like white. Or flowers. Or ivory and flowers. Or peep toes. And I always thought kitten heels sounded like cruelty to feet. Or animals.

I’ve always had a weird relationship with shoes. When I was a kid, I would go around clicking my tongue, pretending my sturdy, practical rubber soles made the same sound as ‘grown-up shoes.’ The tongue thing was not a nervous tic, just a six year-old’s wish.

Saying that, I had other wishes back then.  When I listed my wishes, Clicky shoes, as I called them, came between ‘Siblings’ and ‘a midnight blue Mazda’. That’s how my mind worked. Still does.

Most shoes I coveted back then weren’t designed for someone who wore braces up to her hips and then her knees. I got that.

It wasn’t all bad. At all. My red sneakers were cool. And my Rainbow Brite sneakers were bitchin’.

But I can’t help but think there’s a tiny part of me that doesn’t like girlyshoeswithsixinchheels because they are inaccessible to me. That tiny part of me may be six-years old.

There’s a bigger part of me that just loves boots. Feels powerful in boots. Rocks the boots.

She wants to wear Docs to her wedding. Plan was to buy plain ones and have butterflies painted on them. That’s turning out to be a giant pain in the ass. With too many weeks involved. Or something.

I can get bespoke ones. My friends have offered to paint them. My mother has offered to paint them. But my thoughts are in words. Not vines and swirls and butterflies, as much as I love them. I can’t design stuff. I can’t tell anyone what I want. I don’t know what I want until I see it.

I’m seeing lovely non-white Docs with satin laces. They aren’t purple. They might pass for purple, though. Are they, forgive me, special enough to get married in? Maybe not.

I went shopping with my bridal crew for their shoes. I might have looked for myself. I didn’t see anything I wanted. Or anything that would stay on my feet where someone else puts them.

‘I need straps! Rubber soles!’ I said in one shop and then another. And then another. ‘Straps are too thin,’ I might have said in one place. ‘Those straps are too strappy.’

Mary Janes, court shoes,’ I listed. ‘Think outside the shoe.’ Nothing.

Today’s search was ‘purple Mary Janes’. Lots of ‘sold out’ and ‘No results found’, too. There was even a White Screen of Doom. I was on the phone with my Mom and then my Dad, volleying product numbers and styles back and forth until I said, ‘You know, it’s a good thing I’d get married in bare feet if I had to.’

‘You won’t,’ said Dad. ‘What you need is a pair of ruby slippers.’

That’ll be tomorrow’s search, then. Maybe Dorothy’s shoes will be Lorna’s shoes, too.

I'd strap that.  (Image via shoewawa.com)

I’d strap that. (Image via shoewawa.com)

• Reply Rhonda 16th April 2013 at 8:22 pm

Check these out:

• Reply LKD 16th April 2013 at 9:44 pm

Thanks, but they look like socks. Or a cast. :/

• Reply Blogdramedy 16th April 2013 at 8:48 pm

Do they have to be Docs? If you’re open to boots, how about cowboy boots. In the right pattern and color they’d rock with a wedding dress.

• Reply LKD 16th April 2013 at 9:48 pm

Thought about that. Difficult to find ‘real’ ones, and I’d need to them on, I think.

I do have Docs that I could wear. But I already wear them.

• Reply Love, Aunt Nancy 16th April 2013 at 9:54 pm

HOW ABOUT A PRETTY PAIR OF SLIPPERS?

• Reply redjim99 16th April 2013 at 10:27 pm

There’s a Doc Martin shop in Bristol, sells all sorts, they might have the perfect pair but I don’t know if they do mail-order. I saw a girl in Nottingham on her wedding day, she looked good in her short white dress and high pink Docs. 🙂
    Hope you find something.
    Jim

• Reply Jackie Cangro 17th April 2013 at 1:24 pm

I remembered the Docs that were reminiscent of a Jackson Pollack look on white canvas. 🙂 I think those are still available.

• Reply LKD 17th April 2013 at 1:48 pm

I’ll have to look those up! 🙂

• Reply Jackie Cangro 17th April 2013 at 2:37 pm

Check em out. 🙂

Apparently they also come in a spiky stud option if you’re interested! Ha

• Reply LKD 17th April 2013 at 2:43 pm

I’ve seen those. Wish they were available in purple. I have purple suede ones. And I’m also debating whether purple metallic ones would work. So conflicted. 😉

• Reply LKD 17th April 2013 at 1:53 pm

Second pair is close, but too high. And another friend sent me the first link. Great minds!

• Reply limebirdwriters 17th April 2013 at 2:06 pm

Also, have you thought about wedges instead of a mid/kitten heel?

• Reply LKD 17th April 2013 at 2:11 pm

Wedges are worse. Too wedgie.

• Reply limebirdwriters 17th April 2013 at 2:12 pm

Hahaha! Really? See, I’m not a fan of heels, and prefer a wedge heel because they’re a lot more comfortable!

• Reply The Mommy 17th April 2013 at 4:46 pm

I’ve got rubber soles, strap and acid purple. If this isn’t what you had in mind check out the rest of the shoes. Seriously cute shoes! (There’s a blue “boot” (no heel) that rocks and would be fun for something blue.) http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=gender%3Awomen&p=2&pp=1&view=detail&colourID=3817

• Reply My Inner-Child Need A Paper Bag | Gin & Lemonade 7th May 2013 at 7:17 pm

[…] There’s even been some movement on the shoes. […]