Accessibility Disability Humor Life Travel Writing

I Don't Get Work/Life Balance

26th September 2013

And so, I have a new day-job.  I mostly work from home.  More on that later.

This is my official spiel:

Lorna is a wheelchair-user, who travels extensively at home and abroad. She is an American who has lived in Scotland for 20 years, so she isn’t really sure where home is, though.

She is fueled by coffee and creativity and is a recent convert to bubble tea.

Proof of Barcelona.  And bubble tea.

Proof of Barcelona. And bubble tea.

Her favourite travel experiences have included a solo Amtrak journey from New York to Seattle and back, Hogmanay on Raasay, gin and lemonade in Florence, and her honeymoon in Bruges and Barcelona.

Her professional interest in accessible travel began on the night she found herself sleeping on a bathroom floor at an airport outside of Paris. She thinks Paris and Shakespeare are overrated but she loves Shakespeare and Company bookshop. She’d like to visit all the bookshops in the world, and maybe even open one.

Lorna’s more realistic goals include writing books in an open-plan but cosy cottage on Skye and/or counting penguins in Antarctica.

She used to be the Equality and Diversity Assistant at VisitScotland. As the Customer Support Manager here *at new place*, (site still in development) she will be available to answer all your questions on how to get the most out of our site, as well as any general travel enquiries you may have. Just please don’t ask her where she’s from!

*Photo courtesy of my husband, who is actually in it.  Tea from wow!boba

What do you do?  What do you want to do?

• Reply lostnchina 26th September 2013 at 7:00 pm

When were you in SEATTLE?!

And what’s your favorite flavor of bubble tea? I can’t believe it’s made it all the way to Spain. Being Taiwanese, I’d take credit for it, but my only claim to bubble tea fame is that these days I look like I’ve been drinking way too much of it ;(
    PS: Great picture of you, BTW.

• Reply LKD 26th September 2013 at 7:29 pm

For a month in ’06, visiting a friend. Want to go back!

I like strawberry/kiwi, and taro/coconut. Now I want tea with you!

Thank you, it’s a new favourite.

• Reply Cherry Bee 26th September 2013 at 8:22 pm

Oooh where did you get your bubble tea in Barcelona? In fact have you got any must go places in Barca? I’m off on Sunday and am woefully disorganised but looking forward to it! x

• Reply Hippie Cahier 26th September 2013 at 10:49 pm

Congratulations on the new gig! Also, that’s such a great picture. Marriage certainly agrees with you, not that there was ever any question on that.
    If I believed in such a thing as coincidence, I would tell you what a groovy coincidence it is that I just came from the dentist where I zoned out and started thinking about what I would be doing if I could do anything but my current day job and I remembered our bookstore / coffee shop.

• Reply Jackie Cangro 27th September 2013 at 12:20 am

Can I get in on the bookstore action?
      Reggie can be our store mascot.

• Reply Hippie Cahier 27th September 2013 at 4:13 pm

I’m all for it.

Since the brick-and-mortar version will take a while, maybe a group blog with a bookstore / coffeeshop theme. The featured writer of (the month, week?) gets to sit in a big comfy chair and tell us about something book-related: what s/he is reading or writing or how they’re overrun by books, etc.

• Reply LKD 27th September 2013 at 4:41 pm

Yes! Funny, but I was thinking along the same lines. I’d be open to ideas about a coffee-talk feature/blog or something.

I’d also vote for Reggie as the mascot, considering CJ isn’t here any more. Can you tell I’m still not over that?

• Hippie Cahier 27th September 2013 at 5:03 pm

I’m sorry. 🙁

• LKD 27th September 2013 at 5:06 pm

I was just funnin’ with you. One could say I traded her in for a husband. 😉

• Reply Just 2 Sisters (@Just2Sisters2) 11th February 2014 at 5:22 am

I have heard of Bubble Tea but have never tried it. I would love to visit Scotland! This poor girl has never been off the east coast! UGH!!

• Reply Lori 11th February 2014 at 4:39 pm

I just can’t get over the bubble tea beads that are in there. Maybe I need to give the right flavor a try? What’s your favorite? I am looking forward to following along on your new ‘not the flu’ journey!

• Reply lovenerdmaggie 12th February 2014 at 7:42 am

I left my teaching career last year to start my own business and other work from home opportunities. Teaching was just too hard on my migraines. Now, I am an online tutor, full-time blogger, and Etsy shop owner. It definitely keep me busy but I’m also healthier. 🙂 {stopping by from SITS}