Humor Life

The Frosty North

7th March 2016

Since we moved in we’ve had a gas leak, the washing machine won’t drain, the toaster blew a fuse.  And today, the boiler has packed in. But it’s still our house.  And apparently, it’s well, sensitive.  So.  Leave it alone.  Unless you’d like to come and fix the heat.

Actually, the same guy who fixed our farting stove two weeks ago is making another trip to fix the heat.  Don’t worry, he knows where we live.

In other news, we are online.  And we have cable TV.  And in a fit of DIY, my husband put our spare TV on our bedroom wall.  I know, I’m embarrassed enough for the both of us.

And I’m sitting here at the kitchen table.  We have one of those, too.  In related news, the new word for ‘distressed’ is ‘reclaimed’.  Furniture is now politically correct.

Neil and I spent Valentines weekend picking out and ordering our new socially-acceptable furniture.  Because we are middle-aged romantic like that.

In related news, before we braved the shops, I said if we came home with one of those entertainment centre thingies, we’ll have crossed a line from which there’s no return.

But we were safe.  Every bleary-eyed but somehow super-charged salesperson said, ‘they don’t make those any more.’

The thing was this.  Every shiny, pointy bit of bark that passed for a ‘TV table’ was the perfect height for Isla to fist-bump any TV off of it.

And so.  We found a sideboard thing and we ordered it without the ‘ornate’ top half.  That’s what passes for creative thinking these days.

So there’s a kitchen table for the laptop, a place for the telly box and a sofa big enough for three whole butts.

I still have my old faithful bookcases crammed with books.  They’re even slightly more organised than they were when I was 18.  Not really.

But I do have a TBR bookcase now.

And there’s a bird-feeder stuck to the kitchen window.  A seagull came to investigate it one day last week.  Isla learned a new word that day.

Apparently, the boiler needs a new part.  That’s another word.

IMG_0942

Isla is cold.  And unimpressed with her book.

Do you have any funny or not-so funny stories about moving and setting up home?

• Reply Gabi Coatsworth 7th March 2016 at 7:56 pm

I thought I was distressed about the current political scene over here (US) but apparently I’m reclaimed. So now feel like some soggy piece of land in Holland…

• Reply Jackie Cangro 8th March 2016 at 1:13 am

Congrats on your new home and getting settled in. I just went through a spurt of redecorating, by which I mean I hung a picture on the wall. That’ll do for a while.

• Reply LKD 8th March 2016 at 12:05 pm

We hang one piece a week, and call it good. Last week it was a giant kitchen clock.

Also, notice I said TBR bookcase? Yeah, that’s not a typo.

• Reply Jackie Cangro 8th March 2016 at 6:08 pm

Now that is a dream come true!

I bought a new bookshelf to handle the overflow that was piling up on the floor. Friends have asked, why not just get rid of some books?

I mean, please!

• Reply Nicola Golding 8th March 2016 at 12:30 pm

I love the idea iof a TBR bookcase!

• Reply LKD 8th March 2016 at 12:38 pm

Me, too. But I need to read it down! What’s on your TBR?

• Reply Nicola Golding 8th March 2016 at 1:10 pm

Oh too many things! I’m in the middle of a few. I finished Fans of the Impossible life (it’s so good!) and now I’m on with Winter Girls by Laurie Halse Anderson and It’s a Kind of Funny Story by Ned Vezinni (sp?) Then I think I want to move on to Annabel by Kathleen Winter and Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pritcher. What about you?

• Reply LKD 11th March 2016 at 11:34 am

Holy shit! I went to the library last week and noticed It’s a Kind of Funny Story, and I loved the cover, so I took it home, ha. Also want to read Fans of the Impossible Life, and I have Annabel around here somewhere. So, sameness!

• Nicola Golding 11th March 2016 at 9:28 pm

I’m about 5 or 6 chapters into It’s a Kind of Funny Story and I’m not sure what to make of it yet.

• Reply Rach @ This Italian Family 11th March 2016 at 9:30 pm

Oh goodness, so many things to deal with. I hope everything comes together smoothly from now on! 🙂