Coffee Talk Disability Humor Travel

A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee

20th May 2017

Weekend-Coffee-Share-Nerd-in-the-Brain-4If we were having coffee and ask you how your week’s been treating you?

I’d tell you I looked in the mirror this week, and it’s actually dawned on me that I’m actually 36.  My kid is nearly 3.  Next month, Neil and I are married four years.  Seems longer.  And not long enough.

Did I mention that I spilled coffee on Frank the laptop and I’m back on Truman the Giant Desk Top?  It’s actually meant more writing has happened recently.   And to that I say, whatever works.

I Skyped my Mom this week.  We all fit on the same screen.

I might have asked Toast Coffee House if they deliver.  To Skye.  Because y’know, that’s where I am.  If you can, go visit them and have a Peanut Butter Mocha for me.

Did I mention that I’m thinking of joining a knitting group?  Or that I don’t actually knit? Maybe I’ll try, but we have to see if my wheelchair fits in the knitting group building first.  Because it might not.  And that’s a thing.

If we were having coffee, I’d ask if anyone else has to do pre-mission missions with a freaking tape measure?  Because that’s a thing, too.

I wonder if I’m turning into a pissed off wheelchair-user with a chip on her shoulder the size of a Peppa Pig puzzle piece.

How long have we been having coffee?  Seriously?  And how long have I been talking about the same things?

If I asked you what you’d like to talk about, what would you say?  Because I actually want to know.  Let’s talk about you.  I’m here.

And in October, Neil and I are going to London for The Twin Peaks UK Festival.  Because that’s a thing, too.

• Reply Nicole 20th May 2017 at 4:00 pm

I’ve been thinking of you a lot lately, as I am out and about with Kai in the stroller. (His days of willingly riding in the stroller are numbered, which means pretty soon I’m back to carrying all our gear again, and it’s heavy. I’m soaking up the stroller while it lasts.) You tend not to notice how wheel-hostile the world is until you have a set. Like the sidewalk between here and Anya’s school? No ramps. I either have to lift the stroller onto and off of the sidewalk at each street intersection (of which there are 3), or walk in the (fairly busy) road a ways until I get to the nearest driveway. (The sidewalk itself is a cracked mess that hasn’t been repaired since we moved down here in ’89, but that’s another rant.)

Then there’s a shopping center we frequent, which bridges a (VERY slight) shift in elevation with stairs. If you can’t do stairs? Well, you can go down the fire lane for 100 yards, or you can skip those other shops. Your choice.

And there are so many other examples. I’m ashamed of how many, honestly. What year is it again? So sorry you have to deal with this mess.

• Reply Nancy 20th May 2017 at 5:42 pm

Lots of “things” happening in your world! My hubby and I will be celebrating our 23rd year of marital bliss this weekend! Makes my head spin thinkin about it! We actually still like each other which is nice. Hope you are able to learn knitting. I’ve heard it’s very relaxing and a great way to keep busy when your waiting for stuff (doctors, DMV, kids soccer games, etc). Have a great week.

• Reply LKD 20th May 2017 at 6:32 pm

Happy Anniversary! And I was just catching up with you, so congrats on the new babies in the family!
      Also, Before The Fall is next up for me. Looking forward to reading it. What do you think of it?

Lorna

• Reply Nancy 20th May 2017 at 8:26 pm

Thanks on all counts! As for the book, I actually finished it last week (slow updating the photo 😊!) I highly recommend it. It is one of those stories that keeps you guessing till the end and as an added bonus, I really liked the main characters. The way the story is set up is unusual. I would love to hear your thoughts after you read it.

• Reply bettylouise31 20th May 2017 at 7:03 pm

I know what you mean by being handicapped. My problem is my hearing. I don’t have hearing and it is not sure if they will help. I guess I am lucky as I can still walk. Good luck with getting I go the knitting building. I taught myself to knit.

• Reply maryandjohnineurope 20th May 2017 at 9:11 pm

So wish we were closer….. I would help you with your knitting and drink copious amounts of delicious coffee. Don’t even talk to me about where has the time gone. In the blink of an eye we are in our second home in Tasmania. 15 years seem now like a blur. My girls are now your age and older. When did that happen? Life has a way, fortunately or unfortunately. Live every day to the fullest. Love xx

• Reply LKD 22nd May 2017 at 9:12 pm

I so want to meet you and your crew. xox Thank you for reading my rambles. Our friendship means more to me than you might know, but maybe you do. <3

• Reply The Indecisive Eejit 21st May 2017 at 12:09 pm

I can’t believe it’s four years since you and Neal got married, it doesn’t seem that long.
    I think it was your wedding post that made me realise how much I loved your writing 🙂

Knitting is actually pretty cool, not that I am any good at it, I tired when I was younger, but I dropped more stitches than those that stuck lol

• Reply LKD 22nd May 2017 at 9:14 pm

Juls, we really should meet sometime!

• Reply Tena Carr 21st May 2017 at 2:06 pm

I, too, am guilty of basically saying the same kind of stuff over and over in my coffee shares. My weeks are pretty much the same thing week after week – Shopping, errands, appointments…. Nothing all that exciting for the most part. I’ve tried knitting before but never have gotten the hang of – I do enjoy crocheting and something called knifty knitting (though I haven’t done either in quite some time).

• Reply LKD 21st May 2017 at 2:40 pm

I meant repeating myself in real life, but in blogging works too. Ha! Thanks for reading!

• Reply Tena Carr 21st May 2017 at 5:58 pm

Ohhh… well that too (especially according to my husband) – LOL.