Coffee Talk These Are A Few

17 Stress-Busters & Simple Pleasures

12th October 2017

Real-talk time, I was going to call this 17 Things That Piss Me Off.  However.  That only helps me, while these stress-busters will help you, too.  Maybe.  As my Ma says, just try it.

IMG_1480

One of Isla’s recent palettes.  Not today’s, though.

1. I like to watch my kid paint.   Take this morning as an example.  She’d had three halves of two different breakfasts.  My workspace/the kitchen table was piled with bulk buys from Costco, and Isla is off from school for two weeks, because Fall break.  But. I found myself mesmorised by her swirls. Neon pink, orange, purple.  And we managed to hide that one before everything turned brown.  I’m so happy I may frame it.
  2. I LOVE a good book, time to read it, and that moment in the story where I know I can settle in and trust the journey the author is taking me on.
  3. Coffee that is lukewarm enough for me to drink quickly.
  4. All the possibilities of a new notebook.  Or 5.
  5. Hitting ‘Publish’ on a blog post.  When all the fiddly stuff is finished and the green banner thing flashes on the screen.
  6. Songs that are actually events. Like this one.
  7. Teal.  I know I say purple is a way of life, but teal and all its surprising variations helps me live that life.
  8. Conversations with my kid.  And writing them down. This is one from today: Me: May I play with you?
    Isla: No, because this game is for kids. But you can keep doing that thing with my hair. Because it’s nice.
    Me: Oh, good.
  9. TV that makes me feel.  Or think.  Preferably both.  Nothing beats a smart human-centric documentary.
  10. Movies that I either haven’t seen or ones that I’ve worn out, and can quote til the end.  Do you people have clubs?
  11. Anything hazelnut.  But I’m not big on Nutella.
  12. Automatic writing.  Especially if it’s mine.
  13. Remembering all the people I came from.
  14. The family I chose.  Bonus points of they claim me, too.
  15. LOVE.
  16. Laughing with.
  17. Having things to look forward to.

What chills you out?

17 Stress Busters & Simple Pleasures - Gin & Lemonade

• Reply Becca Barracuda 12th October 2017 at 10:40 pm

I love this list! Whenever I have a bad day, I listen to the Backstreet Boys. When I need to laugh, I watch Friends. When I need to feel grounded, I hug my husband. 🙂

• Reply Bookstooge 12th October 2017 at 11:19 pm

I’m with you on that Coffee thing! I hate super hot coffee. I can’t enjoy it when its scalding my mouth!

• Reply Jackie Cangro 12th October 2017 at 11:46 pm

Books, books, books!

And, right now, Tom Petty on repeat.

• Reply jessicaannebreisnes 13th October 2017 at 1:26 am

YES! I agree with nearly every one of those things! For me right now, it’s writing, but surprisingly not on my blog. I still feel compelled to make posts, but I’m having too much fun co-authoring what was supposed to be a short story but decided it wasn’t. One month and 36,000+ words in, the joy this story brings me has seen me through a rough patch while my job’s been relocating. I don’t know what I’d do without it. (haha, spend more time blogging!)

• Reply amindfultravellerblog 13th October 2017 at 1:24 pm

Great list Lorna. Haha…I’m with the coffee and the publish button too. 😉

• Reply Shirley Corder 13th October 2017 at 4:41 pm

I love your list idea. I am planning on starting at “Gratitude List” in the New Year. My idea is that I will post a list similar to this every week of things I am grateful for. The catch is, because the year is 2018, I must find 2018 things I’m grateful for – divided up into 52 weeks of 7 days each. Should be fun and hopefully get me focused on looking for the good things! Facts or Fiction? Build a Better Blog

• Reply Gloria 14th October 2017 at 11:47 am

I like that idea! I’d love to do that! 😁

• Reply Lorna 14th October 2017 at 11:52 am

Maybe me, too.

• Reply Dr. Elise Cohen Ho 13th October 2017 at 5:50 pm

I am a meditation kind of girl. I light candles, play music and try to relax.

• Reply cindyseaton69 13th October 2017 at 6:52 pm

Thanks for the giggle 🙂 maple syrup in coffee, try some, but beware it’s addictive!

• Reply John 13th October 2017 at 8:07 pm

Those are some great tips! When I’m stressed out, I go for a walk. By the time I get home I feel great!

• Reply Sue - doddyaboutbooks 13th October 2017 at 9:17 pm

Great list! I also love watching my kid p,ah. Except, at 15 she plays overwatch and gets sweary when things heat up. It’s hilarious. Books, tea and the beach are my ultimate stress busters.

• Reply thoughtsfromjasmine 14th October 2017 at 9:39 am

This is so lovely! I’m also a big fan of the colour teal, and conversations with kids! They have a youthful innocence that makes your worries seem a lot smaller haha
    Jas xx

• Reply Bryntin 14th October 2017 at 9:48 am

Walking with my dog on the clifftops of Cornwall and perhaps looking for sea glass fragments among the pebbles at my local beach. Fresh air, sometimes hurricane force, elemental forces that put life worries into perspective. And sleeping. 🙂

• Reply Judy E Martin 14th October 2017 at 9:55 am

I love it when I press the ‘publish’ button on a finished post too, and funnily enough, blogging is what I do to chill! 🙂

• Reply Debbie Harris 14th October 2017 at 10:29 am

I love the eclectic mix of these simple stress busting pleasures – from painting, to lukewarm coffee to hitting the publish button – great fun read!

• Reply Ritu 14th October 2017 at 11:12 am

Aside from the coffee.. (can’t abide the stuff!) I totally agree with everything you have mentioned!!

• Reply fancypaperblog 14th October 2017 at 11:33 am

Are we Sisters? ? Especially the coffee one. Drives my husband mad how long I wait and then neck it!

• Reply Lorna 14th October 2017 at 11:41 am

I think we may be. And Neil won’t even make me coffee if we hafta be somewhere. That’s when we fight, ha.

• Reply fancypaperblog 16th October 2017 at 2:39 pm

A well deserved reason to fight😊

• Reply Gloria 14th October 2017 at 11:52 am

Oooh….the publish button! Yes!!
    I love getting new notebooks. 🤗🤗
    And having a family size bag of peanut M&M’s all to myself !

• Reply Lorna 14th October 2017 at 11:55 am

Dude! That’s one of the things in the Costco pile. Tune in later for pictoral evidence, ha.

• Reply masgautsen 14th October 2017 at 1:51 pm

Great list. Most of these things would be on mine too!

• Reply anhistorianabouttown 14th October 2017 at 2:09 pm

A few hours with friends where I don’t have to think about anything and can completely let go!

• Reply thebeasley 14th October 2017 at 2:16 pm

I love all of these. Especially the good book one and oh-my-gosh-yes the feel of a new notebook. And I absolutely adore that Billy Joel song too- good choice.

• Reply thebigmoneysaver 14th October 2017 at 2:24 pm

My go-to stress relievers are songs from the 80s and 90s and watching movies and TV shows from my childhood. There’s nothing like sitting down and watching Edward Scissorhands with my kids or old episodes of Family Matters.

• Reply You Can Always Start Now 14th October 2017 at 2:43 pm

I think I am just going to take the majority of your list and go with that!

• Reply theworstpartblog 14th October 2017 at 5:53 pm

I love walking my dogs and I recently developed a Vanilla Cappuccino addiction.

• Reply fattymccupcakes 14th October 2017 at 6:53 pm

BUAHAHAHAHA! The first line. I’m glad you turned your attitude around 😂😂😂. Do you have Costco in Scotland??

• Reply Lorna 14th October 2017 at 9:56 pm

Yes, there are Costcos here. But no Trader Joe’s, therefore no seven-layer dip. *sad-clown-face*

• Reply fattymccupcakes 15th October 2017 at 7:12 am

SO sad! But, Costco has the artichoke dip!!!!!

• Reply josypheen 14th October 2017 at 7:30 pm

I love the watching Isla paint idea. My mum is an artist so I could spend hours watching her paint!

But, you don’t like nutella!? 🙁

• Reply MindOverMeta 14th October 2017 at 8:17 pm

I do like a good documentary. Even if it’s emotional, I get really into it. Also, laughing until I cry is one of the best feelings in the world. It’s usually something really random and silly that has me giggling like an idiot but I love it when it happens!

• Reply Abbigayle @ Her Luxe Travels 14th October 2017 at 10:04 pm

honestly this list is a duplicate of what i would write for my own list lol I can relate to literally everything you have posted 🙂 coffee is my first love of course !

• Reply suzie81speaks 14th October 2017 at 10:51 pm

Loved this, and I love so many of your list too! Music is by far the biggest thing for me – every single day is filled with it. The more epic, the better!

• Reply Lisa Orchard 14th October 2017 at 11:29 pm

I love your list. When I’m stressed I try to go for a walk in the woods. I’ve found out there’s a term for it called Forest bathing and it is good for you both mentally and physically. 🙂