Coffee Talk Writing

An Alternate Universe

3rd June 2017

I used to know the difference between jealousy and envy, but I’ve lost track of which one is less painful.  The one that doesn’t eat you up.  The one you wouldn’t wish on anyone.

In an alternate universe, I got married to Neil wearing a purple dress.  Me, not him.

It was catered by my Nana, but she also had the best time.  My Grandma was there, too.  And she remembered everything.  In one photo, I was flanked by them, not unlike when we all went to Disney World.

The cake was my Grandpa’s apple pie.  My Poppy handed out cigars.

There’s another picture.  Neil and my Dad and my brother who looks like me.  Because a girl can dream.

‘Can you handle Mom and Dad, please?’

‘Naw, dude.  It’s your turn.’

‘I’ll flip you for it.’

In an alternate universe, teleporters exist.  Distance is nothing.  I’ll be there in five minutes.

We’d live by the water with an actual beach attached.  We’d have bonfires and collect beach glass.  We’d go to the movies and see three in one night.

Wine wouldn’t give me heartburn.  But I’d still like beer better.

Bookstores would have several floors.  And shopping carts.

We’d have neighbours we’ve known for years.  And socially-conscious jobs that we loved.  Because just not hating them is not enough.

I’d still wear glasses.  Because I like them.  And I still can’t imagine voluntarily poking myself in the eye.  The heart, maybe.  But not the eye.

I’d still be on wheels, but the world would be ramped.  And people wouldn’t be assholes.

Maybe I’d be a lawyer.  Maybe the world wouldn’t need them.

Everyone would appreciate country music. The Mets would win the World Series every year.

Pay it forward and give it back.

And who doesn’t like coffee?

I’d write my words, and go outside.  Everything would be open.

‘How my doing?’

‘You’re fine.  Keep going.’

10955566_10152776909699412_7870880418360815653_n

This will always work.  In any Universe.

Also published on Medium.

• Reply Kaitlin Dunlap Cuevas 3rd June 2017 at 3:33 pm

In an alternate universe there are more than 24 hours in a day – ha!! Such a cute picture of your family and a great way to close out this post!

– Kaitlin
    kedgotwed.com

• Reply urbannight 4th June 2017 at 4:04 pm

An alternate universe with an additional 8 hours every day, just to ourselves, and we would still only need the same amount of sleep as we do now.

• Reply bettylouise31 3rd June 2017 at 7:18 pm

Think Positive!

• Reply Lucy Mitchell 4th June 2017 at 8:44 am

I love the thought of an alternate universe and how life is different. Interesting post!

• Reply Em Linthorpe 4th June 2017 at 9:24 am

This is such a brilliant idea for a post and it’s fascinating to read what you would keep the same and what you would change. Do you see your specs and your chair as a vital part of your identity and who you essentially are? Loved this very much xx

• Reply Lorna 17th June 2017 at 11:12 am

I wouldn’t change the wheels. The anxiety, maybe. But not the wheels. How are you? xox

• Reply Circle of Daydreams 4th June 2017 at 10:20 am

In an alternate universe I’d live in a lovely open plan small house, amongst some trees, and close to the beach. I’d have free time on weekends because my job wouldn’t use those up as well, and I’d get to read more books! I’m working my way towards this alternate universe v.e.r.y. slowly! Love your picture. (:

• Reply LKD 5th June 2017 at 2:56 pm

Open plan is my thing, too. Have fun getting there. 🙂

• Reply Lisa Orchard 4th June 2017 at 12:08 pm

Great post! I love this idea of an Alternate Universe. I just may have to copy it for my own blog post. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• Reply LKD 5th June 2017 at 2:54 pm

If you do, link me in your post so I can visit!

• Reply Corinne & Kirsty 🌸 (@corinnekirsty) 4th June 2017 at 2:18 pm

I really like the idea of alternative universe where there would be us but different us. Like with different life, personality, etc. xx corinne

• Reply angelanoelauthor 4th June 2017 at 3:11 pm

This post tugged at my heart and made me smile. 🙂

• Reply LKD 6th June 2017 at 12:48 pm

Me, too. Thanks, Angela. <3

• Reply Jona 4th June 2017 at 3:57 pm

At some point I hope there is really an alternate universe. I would love the idea that there would be no long distance so me and my husband will never be apart.

• Reply niicolee00 4th June 2017 at 5:04 pm

This is a great post– it’s so honest and real. It doesn’t feel like you’re complaining, just contemplating, which I love. Everyone feels this way sometimes, and it’s nice to be able to write about it 🙂

• Reply thehouseturnedhome 4th June 2017 at 8:24 pm

It is hard not to dream about the way life could be, especially if we could go back in time and change or correct mistakes. The people in the alternate universe probably dream about your life. Make the best out of what you have!

• Reply Enjoyfreebies 5th June 2017 at 1:42 am

In my dreams of an alternate universe, my family and I would be wealthy and healthy. We would have world peace and there would be no hunger, no homelessness, and live without fear. What a fun place to dream about.

• Reply alisonrost 5th June 2017 at 4:41 am

What a cool post! I found myself smiling all the way through. In an alternative universe, our pets would always be calm and peaceful, and live for (at least) fifty years x

• Reply wonderstrucklife 5th June 2017 at 4:56 am

In an alternate universe I would fly everywhere, and be able to breathe underwater.

• Reply LKD 6th June 2017 at 12:51 pm

Go scuba-diving now, haha. Seriously.

• Reply Sondra Barker 5th June 2017 at 6:24 am

Love your thought process. In an alternate universe, I’m not really sure what I would be doing, guess I should give it some thought.

• Reply toastycritic 5th June 2017 at 8:15 am

Sounds like a lovely alternate reality…. except for the Mets part. I am going to have to nix the Mets being champions every year. Although I would nix my team being champion every year because then I wouldn’t appreciate it when they were champions.

• Reply Elizabeth O. 5th June 2017 at 8:43 am

We can always paint a lovely picture, one that we’ve always dreamed of. But what we get, the reality of life, that’s so much better too because that’s the part where we’re with our loved ones.

• Reply Heather Tomoyasu (@USJapanFam) 5th June 2017 at 4:07 pm

Teleporters, YES!!! When is that going to be a thing??? Cuz we have a 24 hour door to door journey coming up with 3 children under the age of 5. Ughhhhh….

• Reply Josselyn Radillo 5th June 2017 at 5:04 pm

An alternate universe my bf and I could be in the same place studying and working together. but for now we are working hard to get finish uni next year and start traveling around the world

• Reply Louise x (@withlovefromlou) 6th June 2017 at 1:34 am

I’ve always believed that there must be an alternate universe out there. Sometimes I get a slight feeling of deja-vu, but I know deep down that whatever it is hasn’t happened before. It’s weird 🙂

Louise x

• Reply Elizabeth 6th June 2017 at 6:34 am

What a lovely read! I wonder what my alternate universe would look like – I’d definitely be skinnier…. 😉

• Reply theteenageobserver 6th June 2017 at 7:23 pm

In an alternative universe, I’d like to be able to see personalities like a physical thing. I don’t know if that makes sense but if it does it would mean that people wouldn’t be judged by how they looked or dressed, but by who they really are and it would matter whether you were fat, skinny, pretty, ugly, coloured or white because people would be able to see the beauty that really matters, what is inside the person.

• Reply Celerhina Aubrey 7th June 2017 at 6:35 am

A lovely read. In an alternate universe, I’d be a queen hahahah!. 🙂

• Reply Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen 7th June 2017 at 9:26 pm

I love your smiles in your family photo. In an aternate universe, I’d like to sleep well… longer nights and longer days…

• Reply Befitting Style 11th June 2017 at 5:32 am

I think envy is more harmful than jealousy. Envy causes you to do things that you may never think you would be able to do.

• Reply elizabethbrico 13th June 2017 at 6:17 pm

This is beautifully written. Please do write me a guest post about something, anything!

• Reply Nancy 15th June 2017 at 1:18 am

Beautiful read! This >>> “Bookstores would have several floors. And shopping carts.” is my idea alternative universe in a nutshell lol! Love the family picture. It does work in all universes.

• Reply Rebecca Moon Ruark 9th November 2017 at 4:10 pm

What a lovely post. Thank you!

• Reply Lorna 16th November 2017 at 10:34 am

No, thank you. Ha!

• Reply thebeasley 16th November 2017 at 7:05 pm

Oh I love the idea of an alternate universe. Thinking about how ours would play out. Lovely post. I especially love that the three of you would still be awesome in any universe.

• Reply Suzanne [globalhousesitterX2] 17th November 2017 at 5:28 pm

Well, that gave me the warm fuzzies. Love the last photo, and that is precisely how I feel about the Squire and me!!