3 Books, 3 Blogs Coffee Talk Humor Life

Coffee & Gin

22nd July 2017

If we were having coffee I’d say, are you ready for this?

I’ve been up for hours and I don’t know what time it is, and I haven’t had my coffee yet.  Isla already cracked some eggs, put her wellies on, and now wants to fly a kite.  That’s fine.  I love my experimental, outdoorsy, artistic child.  But lemme say something here.  Coffee before kites.

I have a coffee now.  Hi.  I feel better now.  How are you?

If we were having coffee, I’d tell you about last night.  Sorry I had to hang up on you. Isla got into the cinnamon.  It became an event.

If we were having coffee, I’d say she fell asleep and I wanted to write.  But I sat in this very spot with my cider and nothing happened.

And so, I went to bed with Ben and Jerry.  Neil was fine with it.  Trust me.

And, today is another day.

And speaking of coffee, check out Crystal at The Cappuccino Traveler.  One of the things on my to-do list is ‘Visit all the bookshops in the world’.  Crystal’s kinda doing that with coffeeshops.  I get caffeinated just reading her blog.  Which is good.  Because most of the coffee places around here are inaccessible or serve shite coffee.

I still think the best place to get coffee on this island is my house.  What do you think?

Also, also.  Go visit Katie at Fatty McCupcakes, Christine at I’m Sick And So Are You and go gallivanting with An Historian About Town.  The thing is this.  It seems I’ve been reading their blogs for longer than they’ve actually been writing them.  And that’s a groovy thing.

If we were having coffee I’d thank you for the questions and book recommendations last week.  If I’ve already read what you said I should read that just means you’re good people.

The questions from last week’s post will be answered in a post next week.  Maybe a few posts.

I don’t have any books to share this week.  I’ve been too busy prepping for THE TRIP. Which is happening two weeks from tomorrow.  Did I mention that?  The to-do list is done.  Haven’t gotten to the RELAX part, though.  Looking forward to that part.

My trip-planning escapades (really) will appear on the blog during the week.

Stay tuned to see:

The One Where Lorna Went Shopping

Lorna and The Wheelchair Clinic

which leads us to:

I Didn’t F-Bomb Yet.  Can I Have A Cookie?

And finally… I MADE THIS AND DIDN”T THROW MY LAPTOP OUT THE WINDOW:

Gin & Lemonade banner

Oh, look.  Coffee’s done.  Let’s go to your house now.

Who have you met on your travels this week?

Going anywhere groovy next month?

Post inspired by life, F-bombs, coffee and Part-Time Monster.

• Reply shelleywilson72 22nd July 2017 at 1:04 pm

I’ve been knocking back the coffee lately to try and stay awake!! Just returned from ten days in the US and my jet lag has me all over the place. No idea what day it is haha. On the plus side, I have oodles of things to blog about from my trip – but first, a coffee 😉

• Reply angelanoelauthor 22nd July 2017 at 1:17 pm

I so agree–coffee before kites, but definitely kites! My child just wandered into the kitchen, bleary-eyed looking for something. He’s too little for coffee, but I think he’d agree with you, too! I absolutely agree with you on the wonderful blogs you mentioned. I love them, too. Looking forward to your posts about THE TRIP! Definitely something to be excited about. 🙂

• Reply SickChristine 22nd July 2017 at 1:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words! You made me smile. I do believe coffee before kites and it became an event are the two sentences that best sum up parenthood.

• Reply Gary 22nd July 2017 at 2:04 pm

Coffee before kites is an excellent phrase! Although, I have had to cut back into decaffeinated owing to rather large volumes per day not assisting blood pressure readings. Sheesh, but..it does allow me to have and appreciate proper coffees now and again 🙂

Decaff is not that bad either now I’m used to it; but those headaches after stopping kind of showed too much of a good thing is a bad thing!

Enjoyed this one and will flip and tweet it too 🙂

• Reply Ritu 22nd July 2017 at 3:37 pm

I’m currently sat at a wedding from.my in-laws side… and bumped into my cousins!
    And next month… notbing more exotic than spending a week with my parents lol!!!

• Reply Lorna 22nd July 2017 at 4:01 pm

Next month I’ll be with my Mom and my cousins. Let’s just call it Old Home Week and be happy, haha. Is the wedding so boring that you’re on the phone? Tell the couple they’ve done it wrong. Maybe don’t, though.

• Reply Ritu 22nd July 2017 at 7:34 pm

Lol! We were waiting as things were running late!!!

• Reply Thewanderingdarlings 22nd July 2017 at 3:49 pm

Would a cuppa of tea be ok? That’s all you’ll get in my house sorry 😂 This week I’ve been to the dizzy bright lights of London and got to try and break some Guinness world records with work. Sadly we only came away with participation medals. Hope the kite flying went well it’s sooo windy here…… actually maybe I’ll also go and fly a kite as well.

• Reply Lorna 22nd July 2017 at 3:56 pm

Too windy here, too, now. Isla is instead going around the house with two pair of sunglasses on asking: Why’s it so dark in here, Mumma?

• Reply Thewanderingdarlings 22nd July 2017 at 4:16 pm

Fashionista in the making. Two pairs of sunglasses is going to be on all the catwalks in the Fall

• Reply Lisa Orchard 22nd July 2017 at 4:12 pm

I love your phrase, coffee before kites. We moms need to gear up sometimes to meet the needs of our energetic kids. 🙂 I hope you’re enjoying your time with your little girl. It’s precious and it goes by so fast. 🙂

• Reply Lorna 22nd July 2017 at 4:30 pm

I actually enjoy the shit out of my kid. And she knows it, too.

• Reply Lisa Orchard 22nd July 2017 at 4:36 pm

Glad to hear it! 🙂

• Reply anhistorianabouttown 22nd July 2017 at 5:21 pm

Oh, thank you for the shout out, Lorna!! 😊 You know how to make this historian feel special 😊 I’m so excited for your trip and I will be living vicariously through your travels!! I’ve got no trips planned myself, but maybe for fall. Now I’ve got to get down to some reading myself 🤓 Any upcoming books for you??

• Reply Lorna 23rd July 2017 at 9:41 am

Loving your TBR club idea, by the way!

• Reply anhistorianabouttown 25th July 2017 at 2:36 pm

Thanks, Lorna!! I feel like there are enough of us now that it needs to happen 🙂

• Reply UnderwoodTales 22nd July 2017 at 6:58 pm

Haha, this reminds me a quote I found online that defined writers as folks that are able to turn caffeine into words. This just brought that to me. Very well written post. I am a java bean kid for sure. Though my nutritionist is constantly trying to get me to give it up.

• Reply fattymccupcakes 22nd July 2017 at 7:46 pm

Thank you so much for the kind mention, my friend. I am in total agreement, coffee before kites FTW!

• Reply Lorna 23rd July 2017 at 9:42 am

Seriously enjoying your road-trip tales!

• Reply Gabe Burkhardt 22nd July 2017 at 8:51 pm

I don’t do coffee, but before you go judging me as “one of those people” I don’t do mornings either. Unless of course i’m still up from the night before.

But i’m totally love to hang out and chat with the cool kids club. Can i hang out if I promise to be quiet and drink my Mountain Dew without doing the exaggerated “AHHHH” sound after every gulp?

• Reply Francesca Marinaro 22nd July 2017 at 11:49 pm

Not just before kites–coffee before everything!

• Reply Lorna 23rd July 2017 at 9:38 am

You’ll notice that my kid has gotten older, and my views on the Oxford comma have changed. How the hell are you?

• Reply drallisonbrown 23rd July 2017 at 3:12 am

1. Coffee? Just bought a Nespresso machine….I’ll keep you posted
    2. F-Bombs? That’s how my daughter says she knows when I’m drunk
    3. Travel? Just booked an Orlando getaway for Labor Day weekend

• Reply Julie 23rd July 2017 at 7:30 am

The only way I start my day is coffee otherwise I’d come to my appointment, office, exercise class, errands on empty 😪😪😪. Anyways have a good trip! Towards the end of next month, my friends and I are camping in Sequoia.

• Reply thebeasley 23rd July 2017 at 8:54 am

I love all three of those blogs. Good choices x

• Reply Lorna 23rd July 2017 at 8:58 am

I’m actually really sad we’ll be flying on book discussion day 1! I’ll catch up. x

• Reply thebeasley 23rd July 2017 at 9:08 am

Oh don’t worry. You can dip in st any time x

• Reply Lucy Mitchell 23rd July 2017 at 8:55 am

Mmmmm you make me want to go get coffee! Great post.

• Reply globalhousesitterX2 23rd July 2017 at 9:06 am

I absolutely love your sense of humour Lorna, you are a delight especially after a coffee 🙂

• Reply Lorna 23rd July 2017 at 9:22 am

Everyone always adds the ‘after coffee’ thing. Hahaha

• Reply Shallow Reflections 23rd July 2017 at 12:30 pm

I’m drinking coffee as I read this, Lorna, so we are definitely on the same page. No grandsons here this weekend so I don’t have to repeat phrases like, “No, we aren’t going to set up the inflatable swimming pool right now. No, we aren’t going to the sand pile. Here, watch a cartoon while Grandma has her coffee.”

• Reply You Can Always Start Now 23rd July 2017 at 12:48 pm

Too funny. I just clicked into your blog and before starting it grab a fresh cup of coffee!

• Reply josypheen 23rd July 2017 at 8:52 pm

We didn’t get around to buying any coffee in this house- oops! You might have to make do with tea here too!

I love those blogs too. I think we have similar “i love blog” tastes!! <3

• Reply Beth 24th July 2017 at 3:33 pm

What did you make that you didn’t throw a laptop out the window?? Craft? Food? Tell me! If we were having coffee I’d tell you that I really don’t want to be at work, and that I have no major trips planned but I wish I did.

• Reply Lorna 24th July 2017 at 4:57 pm

I made the blog banner, ha.

• Reply Beth 24th July 2017 at 5:04 pm

ROFL!!! Ok, that makes sense 😀

• Reply Beaton 24th July 2017 at 9:22 pm

Coffee before Kites

I will try to remember that phrase… future ref…. Coffee and gin sounds awkward though, I prefer gin and lemon tea ha!! its smoother ^_^

~B

PS The banner is pretty neat but might I suggest a colour fade or gradient between the side with the gin and the side with the lemon… random thought