Coffee Talk Humor Sharing The Love

Go Big Or Eat Celery

6th March 2018

And so, I found myself with some alone time this weekend.  And I had PLANS, you guys.

I moved my laptop into the living room where I planned to write while watching television and eating Doritos for breakfast.

Neil was playing in a Go tournament (which he still insists isn’t actually chess), and Isla was spending the day at my Dad’s.

Everyone thought I needed kid-free, husband-free time, so I found myself tooling about the house on my own at 10 in the morning, testing out the echo of my own voice.  At 10.08, I texted some friends  one friend.  OK, what do I do NAOW?

At 10.38, I phoned Isla.  ‘HELLO, BABY.  I LOVE YOU.’

‘I know, Mumma.  Go do sings.’

So I turned on my favorite version of Uptown Funk.

And I did, not much.

Unless you count watching Judge Judy, which actually counted for a large percentage of my single life, so consider it nostalgia.

Then I organized my book stacks by color by looking at them and not doing much.  Except I read Lincoln In The Bardo, and then I found Masterchef USA on catch-up.

And I called Isla.  Again.  This time she was busy making chocolate cake, and I made a collage of the evidence.

28576218_10155623002604412_8497040621255524352_o

This is the same kid who went to school in her PJs on World Book Day.  (Which was also International Wheelchair Day, on the same day.) I was sad that I missed it, and then I thought that’s every day around here.

I was going to post a mother-daughter book haul too, but I was too busy crying that ISLA LOOKS SO OLD.

28279225_10155616889419412_4659707489418215424_n

But she still sticks her head in the cake bowl, so I think we are good for awhile.

PS.  Yes, same penguin onesie.  Different photos, different days.  She DOES have other clothes.

And yesterday with this conversation, she reminded me she’s still only 3.

Me: You’ve got lovely hair, Isla.
Isla: Sank you. You should go to the hairdresser.
Me: Really? And how old are you today?
Isla: 15. No, wait. I’m still 3.
Me: Awesome.

In relatedish news, nominations are open today for the Bloggers Bash Awards.

I’m super-excited to attend my first Bloggers Bash in May.  It’s my first blogging meetup ever.  Anyone have any pointers to share?

But see, by the time May rolls around, Isla will be nearly four.  So, I can wait.  Maybe.

Who else is going to the Bash?

• Reply thatblogwherecheriemovestogermany 6th March 2018 at 10:51 am

The head in the cake bowl are the best pictures ever.
    I am still checking flights, trains and such to see if there is some possible way I can go to the Bash. If some Prince hadn’t decided to get married that day I would be there for sure. So inconsiderate. Some people. Plane fare is usually around 30-50euro from Koln to London…now it is running 250..ggrrrrr

• Reply Lorna 6th March 2018 at 11:03 am

Honestly, did we not secure the date first? Ha.

• Reply samfiftysomething 6th March 2018 at 11:29 am

Looking forward to meeting you there at the bash, its my first too, so I’ll be the one wandering around looking new to it all. Love the head in chocolate look, but not as much as the Penguin onesie – I so want one of those! 🙂

• Reply Lorna 7th March 2018 at 9:42 am

Me, too, Sam! Also trying to source the onesie in grownup size, ha! x

• Reply thebeasley 6th March 2018 at 2:49 pm

I really, really hope I can get down there for the bash!
    Isla is sooooo cute. Especially in that penguin onesie with her head stuck in a bowl of chocolate cake batter. Hold on…I think she might actually be my spirit animal.

• Reply Lorna 6th March 2018 at 3:28 pm

Isla won’t be at the bash. Just me and him. xox

• Reply urbannight 6th March 2018 at 3:09 pm

Oh my gosh, she is so big. I can’t believe it. I can’t believe how long I’ve been reading your blog. And she is so adorable. Love the penguin PJ’s. I feel like I need a pair.

• Reply Lorna 6th March 2018 at 3:27 pm

Four in June. Therefore, still very three. 🙂

• Reply Nicole 6th March 2018 at 3:49 pm

I have been giving Kai extra squeezy hugs today because I’m having a hard time seeing his baby face in his new big-boy face. Who decided they should stop being small so soon?

• Reply TanGental 6th March 2018 at 5:00 pm

Oh Bash tips? Erm. Be prepared for squeals and hugs galore as people recognise you. Be prepared to be surprised that all bloggers are the same as in their blogs… they aren’t fake news! Bring cards or pen and ink cos you will share details to keep in touch outside blogs and there’s only so much space to write on your hand. We will go to dinner after it finishes at 5 so if your travel can accommodate that then do… you won’t want it to end… Have a charging lead for your phone and maybe a battery pack cos chances are there will be oodles of pictures taken. I think you mentioned your bloke/hub/dig-other May be coming? If so and he doesn’t blog tell him that there are always a sprinkling of others who are made welcome and, so far, have had as much fun as their blogging half – usually because they find out why we make all these electronic friends. Really looking forward to meeting you and if your blogtitle is a sign of your preferred tipple, the bar will be open early and I’ll be in the chair!

• Reply Lorna 14th March 2018 at 9:31 am

That’s cool. Hugs are good. Yep, the Tall Dude is coming with me. He’s going to a Noise gig in exchange, so I still win. Looking forward to meeting you, too.

• Reply johnrieber 6th March 2018 at 5:10 pm

This is hilarious. Also, if you shop right, you will always be able to stick you head in the cake bowl….great post!

• Reply josypheen 6th March 2018 at 5:41 pm

Oooh you will have so much fun at the bash! 🙂
    I’ve never been to a blogger bash either, but if everyone is even half as nice as they are online (they’ll probably be even sweeter in real life) you are going to have such a blast.

Also, I think I need a penguin onesie.

• Reply Lorna 7th March 2018 at 10:29 am

Wish you could come! x

• Reply josypheen 7th March 2018 at 4:26 pm

I won’t have enough holidays left (too many weddings already this year!) 🙁

• Reply Lorna 7th March 2018 at 5:16 pm

Weddings are good, though. <3

• Reply bluerosegirl08 6th March 2018 at 5:58 pm

Those pictures are priceless. That is my favorite Uptown Funk video as well, some days I watch it on repeat. I am really intersted in reading Lincoln in the Bardo, what do you think of it?

• Reply Lorna 6th March 2018 at 6:21 pm

Uptown Funk on repeat all day today. Also, I’m loving the book. Reading bits aloud sometimes to go with the quirky format.

• Reply a mindful traveler 7th March 2018 at 5:34 am

Maybe one year I will make it for these awards Lorna. Bit of a hike from down under!! You guys will have an awesome time though, and I’m sure I’ll read all about it 😉

• Reply Lorna 7th March 2018 at 10:31 am

Maybe I’ll come and see you! Next big trip plans. xox

• Reply You Can Always Start Now 7th March 2018 at 11:00 am

hmmmm……I still stick my head in the cake bowl and I am a tag older than four so you might have to re-gig that one! Four is such a neat age so curious and pushing independence! Enjoy.

• Reply Lorna 7th March 2018 at 11:05 am

She isn’t four yet. Why do people keep saying that number, hahaha.

• Reply Karalee 7th March 2018 at 8:40 pm

Your daughter is so cute & I hope you enjoy the Blogger Bash in May!

• Reply Kerry LifeandLoves 7th March 2018 at 11:42 pm

Ohh these photos are the cutest! When me and my brother are at my Mums for Sunday dinner, we still fight over who gets to lick the bowl, and we are in our forties. Never too old for that. The Blogger Bash sounds fun, enjoy xx

• Reply Lutheranliar 9th March 2018 at 2:55 pm

My hub and daughter fight over the brownie bowl. My daughter is 26. My hub is even older.

• Reply Kerry LifeandLoves 7th March 2018 at 11:47 pm

Ohhhh I have just seen the details for the Bloggers Bash. I am tempted to get a ticket as its in London!

• Reply Lutheranliar 9th March 2018 at 2:54 pm

OK. I want a penguin onesie now. And your daughter is smart as well as beautiful. Looks just like you!

• Reply Lorna 9th March 2018 at 6:46 pm

You are too kind. Most people say she looks like Neil, but I’m in there too. My chin. People haven’t seen Neil’s chin in about 15 years.

• Reply Carol 15th April 2018 at 5:39 am

Those pictures are the best ones when it is licking the bowl time. I so wish I could get to the bash but Thailand to the Uk coupled with the wedding of the year..sky high fares..But it’s being streamed live so I can watch both…Good luck everyone 🙂 xx

• Reply Jennifer 4th May 2018 at 3:01 am

I want to stick my head in the chocolate cake bowl! Wasn’t that always the best part of making a cake as a child?