Accessibility Disability Life

My Flat Ass: What Disability Means To Me

26th February 2018

18740395_1373748122662073_2332660579570958647_nSince I’ve decided to tell it like it is about my life with a disability, I thought I might write a post spelling out my perspective of what disability actually is.

This is not a general post on all disabilities.  I’m aware that there are visible and invisible ones.

I can only speak from my own experience as a wheelchair-user.

Over the weekend, the fam and I went to a bookshop.

There was a steep, but useable ramp to get through the door with my wheelchair.  With the help of an accommodating bookseller who perhaps realised I was there to spend some money, Neil moved furniture so I could get through to the books, and then took photos of the titles I couldn’t see from where I sat.

Not ideal, but it worked.  I bought books.

When I was a kid, and either driving around in my purple wheelchair or walking around on my crutches, people would ask my parents what was wrong with me.  Strangers said they would pray for me, they felt bad about the wheels.  I had such a pretty face.

‘Nothing is wrong with her,’ said my Dad.

‘I fell off the back of a motorcycle,’ I answered for myself.  I was 5, and 8 and 12, and my sarcasm was there even then.

My point is, unless you are one of my parents, or the very groovy orthopedist that I had when I was a kid, or you love me or came out of my body as an adult, my medical diagnosis is none of your damn business.

Since we are all friends here, I have CP.  That is my medical condition.  I am OK with it.  It is a giant part of who I am, and I wouldn’t trade it.  I do not need to overcome it or triumph over it, I prefer to work with it.  And a positive attitude won’t change it.

For me, CP means that I use a wheelchair.  All of my wheelchairs have been pretty badass vehicles that take a lot of shit from me.

My wheels and I have literally travelled the world on busses, trains, giant planes and a tiny Fiat.

My chair has taken me to two Universities, lots of pubs, and down the aisle.

I love my wheels.  My wheels are not the problem.  My CP is not the problem.  My issues are inaccessible buildings, stupid policies, and other people’s willful ignorance.

I am disabled by my environment, not my CP.  My way of thinking is not new and can be distilled in the social model of disability.

My career, when I had one, was spent advocating for accessible travel and inclusive education, for all disabled people.

When I write about my life as a disabled person I am not looking for kudos or sympathy.

Empathy sometimes, sympathy never.

I’m writing to share my experiences on wheels,  my workarounds and access hacks,  and yes, to highlight that the world needs to be a more accessible place.

Don’t read me and tell me I am superhuman for living my regular life.  Don’t tell me that my life makes you examine what you take for granted.

Don’t tell me I’m not disabled.

Instead, don’t park in accessible parking (unless you need it), don’t use accessible toilets (unless you need them), don’t open the door but then stand in the way of someone’s wheels to get through it.

Talk to the person, not above their heads.

Don’t pray for me to walk, help make room for my wheels.  Even if that’s something as simple as moving the furniture.

Also published on Medium.

• Reply Carol 26th February 2018 at 5:01 pm

Very well said. We all need reminders like this.

• Reply Nicole 26th February 2018 at 5:20 pm

All the empathy. Parenthood has opened my eyes to accessibility — the lack thereof. How very many places offer half-assed accessibility: they will give you a ramp to get in the door, but the furnishings inside are so cramped you can’t even push a slimline stroller between. (So a wheelchair is *so* not going.) The number of public offices and medical clinics with cramped entryways and L-shaped doorways that make it nigh impossible to enter even with help. The church my great aunt was buried in had no ramp, and a literal flight of stairs to the front door. (Two kind strangers carried Kai’s stroller up and down for me.)

The one that boggles my mind, though, is the places that put the changing table in the accessible stall. Please tell me this idiocy is restricted to America — where having children *is* sort of considered a disability, I suppose.

• Reply Lorna 26th February 2018 at 6:46 pm

No it’s the same, but bathrooms here are actual rooms, not stalls. There are also family bathrooms. That’s a party. I wore Isla all the time because I wanted to, but also because I couldn’t negotiate my chair and her stroller.

• Reply Nicole 26th February 2018 at 6:57 pm

Neither of my kids took to riding in the carrier for more than a few minutes, so babywearing was not for me. Anya wouldn’t ride in the stroller, either, so we didn’t go many places when she was very young. Kai, on the other hand, was quite amenable to outings until just recently. We went to shops and parks and museums and restaurants, from the time he was just a couple weeks old. (Now he’s nearly 3 and I don’t go anywhere that won’t deliver their wares to my car. I am growing very tired of our house.)

We have family bathrooms here, too, but not nearly enough. Many places don’t even have changing tables. But I really envy you that actual room thing. Because of course the first thing a child wants to do in a stall is crawl under the walls.

• Reply Andrew Reynolds 26th February 2018 at 6:04 pm

My older brother has CP and a few years ago his doctors recommended that do to his age (he was 62 at the time) and few other problems that he move from a manual chair to a powered chair. The vendor brought a few chairs to the PT’s office so he could see which would be best for him. The vendor explained the difference between the chairs, configuration of wheels, controls, batteries, etc. Then he asked Bill if he had any questions.

“Which is the fastest?” he asked.

He picked a nice red chair, but I was disappointed that they didn’t have racing stripes as a standard feature and that Bill refused to allow me to install lights and siren on the chair.

• Reply Lorna 26th February 2018 at 6:49 pm

That is the most important question, ha! Thanks for the story, Andrew. Send this post to Bill, if you can!

• Reply Andrew Reynolds 26th February 2018 at 7:10 pm

I’ll read it to him the next time I am at his place.

• Reply thebeasley 26th February 2018 at 7:07 pm

I absolutely love the sentence “I am disabled by my environment, not my CP”. This is so fucking true. We’re all different, we all have different needs. Simple accessibilities really shouldn’t be that hard. We should all strive as a society to make everyone inclusive and ensure equality prevails.

• Reply josypheen 27th February 2018 at 12:05 am

I came here to say the same thing.

When i first started work here, i noticed there was a button for the door to help wheelchair users, but it wasn’t actually switched on working. When I mentioned it to facilities, they had no idea! I honestly think we should all do our bit to call these things out and make the world a normal level of accessible.

• Reply Lorna 27th February 2018 at 8:09 am

Thanks for bringing that to thier attention, Josy. You’d be surprisied the things that aren’t connected, and just for show. Normal is boring, though. Equal is cool.

• Reply josypheen 27th February 2018 at 5:38 pm

Right!
          We had positive space training last week and they did mention people with disabilities. It seems like the University is trying to be good at this, they are just so massive that it’s up to us to point things out when it’s not quite equal yet!!

• thebeasley 28th February 2018 at 10:34 am

Oh I sent a long reply to Josy’s message, but it hasn’t worked for some reason. Let’s see if this works, but bravo Josy xx

• josypheen 28th February 2018 at 4:52 pm

Aw pants. I couldn’t see it, but thanks! 😉

• Lorna 28th February 2018 at 5:07 pm

Sorry guys, your comments are auto-approved, but I didn’t get one through. Glad the second one worked, though. Love when my posts spark conversation!

• Reply KJ Smith 26th February 2018 at 7:39 pm

“That is my medical condition. I am OK with it. It is a giant part of who I am, and I wouldn’t trade it. I do not need to overcome it or triumph over it, I prefer to work with it. And a positive attitude won’t change it.” Wonderfully expressed. I have Central Core Disease, a genetic muscular disorder that affects the proximal muscles. I do not have wheels. My condition is more severe than some but considerably less severe than others. The effects of it are quite obvious, though. I’m not gonna tell you my life story in this comment but I am gonna let you know that I appreciate your posts. You put into words what I often fail to be able to convey to folks around me: No sympathy, please. Empathy, yes, but no sympathy.

• Reply Lorna 27th February 2018 at 8:14 am

Thank you for sharing your story, I’d like to hear more. I’ll keep writing if you do, ha!

• Reply KJ Smith 28th February 2018 at 12:23 am

It’s a deal! 🙂

• Reply johnrieber 26th February 2018 at 8:22 pm

Great perspective that really connected with people, as evidenced by all of the terrific responses posted here as well

• Reply Lorna 27th February 2018 at 8:18 am

That’s the best part for me, that people feel the can come here and share their own stories. Saying that, nobody’s picked up on my movie reference yet. 😉

• Reply Midlife Smarts 27th February 2018 at 9:41 am

Excellent post Lorna. I love your outlook and attitude with a capital A. You’ve make me stop and think on a busy Tuesday morning. Thanx x

• Reply Lorna 27th February 2018 at 9:48 am

And your videos made yoga fun for me, so thank you. x

• Reply rachaelstray 27th February 2018 at 10:40 am

In 2018 accessibility should not be an issue but t is. So many public buildings are not accessible and it’s wrong. New houses have to take accessibility into account our house is 4 years old but has wider door frames and a downstairs loo which can be converted into a wet room and Other accessible features which is fantastic but we need to upgrade our public spaces.

• Reply Lorna 27th February 2018 at 10:54 am

And the whole ‘it’s a listed building’ doesn’t work anymore, you can work stuff into what’s there. Old makes it interesting, but still doable.

Our house is considered new, but yeah, not so much. We have a kind of wet room that I use, didn’t have to put one in because the previous owners had already made changes.

• Reply rachaelstray 27th February 2018 at 10:56 am

It’s about working through solutions isn’t it? Organisations such as DisabledGo are working with businesses including the NHS to work with disabled service users to identify problems with access and to map out solutions so hopefully more people will do this.

• Reply Losing the Plot 27th February 2018 at 5:13 pm

Brilliantly written, and I think you have summed things up for so many people. Though I am back to being mobile, I do know just how fast that can change for anyone, I’ve worked on accessibility issues since I was at Uni,, but recently I’ve had a new personal perspective on it which just makes me even more focused. The biggest issue is there are no ‘changing spaces’ here, which must be an absolute fekkin nightmare for those affected by it.

I am and will remain dyslexic, with a clatter of other stuff too, there’s no curing that, and I wouldn’t want to. That’s part of who I am, it makes me think differently, and I wouldn’t trade that for a moment.

My son is autistic, its entirely possible (probable) that both of them are. I don’t want them ‘cured’ either. I want them to have strategies for dealing with the world, I want people to understand when they act a little bit differently that its not ‘bad behaviour’. But what they give back to the world is way in excess of what they take, my focus is about helping people see their bigger picture, and helping to decode people to my sons.

• Reply Lorna 28th February 2018 at 7:57 am

I know it should be a thing across the board, but it’s so refreshing to me when (other) parents want the world to fit their kids, not their kids to fit the world. Keep going.

• Reply Briana Anderson 27th February 2018 at 7:20 pm

This is powerful. Great post!

• Reply Stephanie 28th February 2018 at 1:55 am

Love this!!! In one of my college courses we actually talked about this and how offensive it can be to pray for someone or constantly acknowledge their disability. Especially when it is your norm. Love this post!!

• Reply Lorna 28th February 2018 at 7:51 am

Yeah, it’s Sociology. Can’t remember if it’s 101, or 201. But I got an A for the unit. I know I linked to a definition in the post, but there’s also this: http://inclusionscotland.org/socialmodelofdisability/ (which I didn’t write)

• Reply Lise 28th February 2018 at 10:07 am

Loved this, we all need a reality check sometimes. I am partially disabled myself, even though it’s a very obvious leg injury, people rarely notice it. They always comment on how I walk weirdly, or walk slow, and they always get so embarrassed when I tell them straight up that my leg is disfigured from an accident I was in almost 20 years ago. I’m not as much crippled from the environment, but more from judgmental people who glare at me when I queue for the elevator, or choose the escalator over the stairs because I don’t want my leg to give out beneath me. I really wish people would mind their own business too since our conditions are ours, not theirs.

• Reply Justine 28th February 2018 at 12:43 pm

Fantastic post.
    I used to work in a clothes shop and people would get to use the accessible changing room, if I asked them not to, they’d complain that it wasn’t being used right then so they had a right to use it. That’s. Not. The. Point.
    Exasperating how little empathy people have.

• Reply motherhoodtherealdeal 28th February 2018 at 2:11 pm

I loved this – so refreshingly honest and really helped me to understand what a disabled person’s point of view might be a lot better than before I had read this!

• Reply gemmaorton 28th February 2018 at 2:44 pm

Love that you always had a dark humour! Those praying people do make chuckle, maybe they could spend their energy on accepting me rather than curing me. or build a ramp. Great title!

• Reply Lorna 1st March 2018 at 10:57 am

The title is kinda like my favourite part. Very prould of it, ha! Glad you’re back, too! x

• Reply Sonia Cave 28th February 2018 at 6:24 pm

You are so right about lack of access and it’s consistency/availability. I struggled getting my twins double buggy places and that was only a short term issue but would make me so angry at times! You have such an amazing positive outlook too and a way of making the reader really take note

• Reply Lorna 28th February 2018 at 6:40 pm

That’s one of the reasons I wore Isla when she was younger. Couldn’t negotiate her wheels and mine at once.

• Reply Alexa 28th February 2018 at 6:32 pm

Love the fact that you are bringing light to everything you go through. There’s definitely power in talking about things with humor.

• Reply Lorna 9th March 2018 at 7:36 pm

Thank you for the visit, Alexa. I love Dash of Sass!

• Reply fashionandstylepolice 1st March 2018 at 11:01 am

This is written beautifully. Good you are raising awareness about these issues. I remember really struggling to move around with my twin buggy when my kids were babies.

• Reply Lorna 1st March 2018 at 11:07 am

That’s why I wore Isla, besides really wanting to. I couldn’t do her wheels and mine. So hers lost, and everyone got cuddles.

• Reply Zena's Suitcase 1st March 2018 at 12:27 pm

You have put this so well and this is an excellent post to raise awareness of how the environment presents the challenges.

• Reply Lorna 7th March 2018 at 10:53 am

Thanks, Zena. Wish more people would get that. <3

• Reply Kara 1st March 2018 at 5:45 pm

It must be so frustrating not being able to access what the rest of us take for granted and things are certainly changing for the better

• Reply Lorna 2nd March 2018 at 11:32 am

If they were that much better, I wouldn’t still be talking about it, though.

• Reply Laura Dove 1st March 2018 at 11:05 pm

What an amazing post and I love your attitude and outlook to disability. Rightly so too!

• Reply myrabevlife 2nd March 2018 at 8:14 am

It is a shame that even now we still making it harder for people with disabilities to enjoy even the basics like visiting a book store. Our mindset needs to shift

• Reply Holly (Little Pickle's Mom) (@littlepicklemom) 2nd March 2018 at 10:37 am

I often think people worry about not knowing what to say or saying the wrong thing and panic. End up doing or saying stupid things. Education goes a LONG way I think. You write so beautifully about it. <3

• Reply Lutheranliar 2nd March 2018 at 2:02 pm

‘Don’t pray for me to walk, help make room for my wheels.’ Great slogan. I can see this on a tee-shirt. Says it all. xoxo

• Reply Lorna 2nd March 2018 at 5:04 pm

So, that and the parking one. I should open a shop. But the parking quote already exists on a shirt.

• Reply Lutheranliar 2nd March 2018 at 5:06 pm

Ooooo. No wonder it sounds like it should be on a shirt (!) Great post.

• Reply Karen 2nd March 2018 at 3:14 pm

Thanks for sharing your story! Great reminders for all.

• Reply Jess Howliston 2nd March 2018 at 8:02 pm

Thanks for sharing this post and your perspective! You attitude is awesome and has certainly made me open my eyes so thank you!

• Reply Claire Saul (PainPalsBlog) 4th March 2018 at 9:38 am

Yes, yes, yes!!! The humour is so mine…..in fact I do worry sometimes when I reply to posts in groups, that have lots of sad faces after them,with a flippant story that I will be ambushed (yesterday someone in a POTS group had passed out in a supermarket & the staff weren’t helpful etc etc. had it happened to anyone else….yes me!! I replied, but once hubby knew I was OK he went back to paying and told the checkout girl Don’t worry she does it all the time!!) It has only been since I’ve been in my chair that I have REALLY got the access thing….the other night at the theatre going to the disabled loo for instance. Nothing wrong with the bathroom, roomy, handrails etc, but a disabled person couldn’t open the bloody door to get out of the lobby to the loo by themselves -particularly if in a chair and trying to pull open a firedoor, keep it open (in my case without a limb falling out of place) and oh yes, there we go, navigating the wheels through. I mean I know I am super….but super powers i don’t have!!! Cx

• Reply Lorna 5th March 2018 at 8:05 pm

I keep reading this and thinking of the Dr Suess quote: Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind. Was that Dr Suess? Keep being you. xox

• Reply fancypaperblog 4th March 2018 at 9:40 am

People and places thinking and designed with common sense. I get it. X

• Reply a mindful traveler 4th March 2018 at 9:55 am

Love your purple wheels…and your attitude Lorna. Awareness is so important. 🙂

• Reply Lorna 4th March 2018 at 10:25 am

Sometimes Isla girl paints them and I drive on paper.

• Reply a mindful traveler 4th March 2018 at 10:26 am

Oh that’s so cool. You should use them as wrapping paper for gifts! ?

• Reply Lorna 4th March 2018 at 10:33 am

Working on a list of the fun stuff we do.

• Reply Claire Saul (PainPalsBlog) 4th March 2018 at 10:49 am

Yes!! And so my sense of humour….in fact sometimes I worry when I leave comments in groups,that the “sad face” won’t get it! Yesterday someone in a POTS group had fainted in a supermarket & was unhappy with the staff…had this happened to anyone else?? Yes me!!! I replied And once hubby had checked I was safe on the floor, he went back to paying at the checkout and told the bemused cashier “Don’t worry she does this all the time!”. Accessibility issues…have only truly got it since I’ve been in the chair. At the theatre the other night for instance, the disabled loo was fine – large, plenty of grab rails etc etc….but A disabled person, particularly one in a chair, couldn’t get through the lobby doors to get to the loo because they were so heavy!!! So it was pull the door towards you (hoping not to leave a limb behind if you are me), hold that fire door open, wheel yourself one handed through the opening and not get fingers caught….if you could open the heavy door in the first place!!! Just mad….

• Reply angelanoelauthor 4th March 2018 at 3:59 pm

I always have that twinge when the only available restroom is the accessible stall. I think to myself, “What if someone needs it and I’m in there?” But then I think, “but I REALLY have to pee.” I console myself with the thought that I’ll be fast. I have yet to find that I kept someone who needed the stall from using it. But, I would hate it if I did. As you know, in the US the women’s restrooms, particularly at airports and other busy places always have a line. In San Francisco, I saw a very bold, very obvious sign on one restroom stall that explicitly said something like, “Leave this stall alone unless you need an accessible stall.” People seemed to avoid it. I did. Something about the stronger messaging made it clear that it was better for it to sit unused in order to be available for those who need it.
    I would love your advice. Should I leave that stall empty (when it’s one of two or three) and wait for the other ones to become free? I’d welcome the insight. I think I’m conscious of the needs of others–but maybe I’m getting it wrong.

• Reply Lorna 5th March 2018 at 10:00 am

Perhaps I should have clarified. Don’t take a dump, shoot up, or have sex in there. But, y’know.

• Reply GiGi Eats Celebrities 5th March 2018 at 5:24 pm

I truly love your attitude towards being disabled. You’re a role model and a force!

• Reply Steph Renovation Bay-Bee 5th March 2018 at 8:43 pm

Well said. I had to use a wheelchair after my back operation so I could still get out with the children and it was so different. People looked at me in ways I didn’t like or people didn’t even notice me.

• Reply Ritu 10th March 2018 at 9:44 am

Simply beautifully put. You are as human as the rest of us. Consideration not commiseration eh!

• Reply Lorna 10th March 2018 at 9:49 am

Yes! And I’ve always liked your alliteration.

• Reply Suzanne [globalhousesitterX2] 10th March 2018 at 10:32 am

Lorna, you are needed over here in Turkey!! I won’t mention how much their infrastructure needs work, for all concerned! Keep blasting out and making more people aware!

• Reply noellekelly 10th March 2018 at 10:36 am

Since my aunt has been diagnosed with MS and more and more confined to her wheelchair, I am so aware and annoyed that the majority of places are just not wheelchair accessible here I’m Ireland. It’s so frustrating!

• Reply Lorna 10th March 2018 at 10:45 am

From what I remember from my travels, Dublin was interesting and Cork was flatter. I do have to say that some lovely locals were more than happy to help. I just remember having fun. I’d love to visit you, Noelle! x

• Reply noellekelly 10th March 2018 at 10:48 am

The locals are definitely happy to help, but it rules out a lot of places which is annoying. And we live on the hilly northside of Cork, challenging for even a walker! 🙂 That would be great fun!

• Reply Lorna 10th March 2018 at 10:51 am

I think I was in Cork the year it became a city of culture. And was there a Cow Parade? x

• noellekelly 10th March 2018 at 11:11 am

I remember the city of culture year, but not a cow parade! Sounds like fun though lol

• Reply Dagne Goodwin 10th March 2018 at 4:40 pm

Life is a hot mess often complicated by the people around us! We could write a book about perceptions, right? My daughter had severe learning problems all through school and had a particular difficult year in 5th grade. Her and the teacher just did not mesh. We were in a meeting and he said something about her learning disability and she looked at him and said “ya, well from my perspective you have a teaching disability”! It took all I had not to laugh. She was right of course.

I love your attitude! I’ll be following!

• Reply Losing the Plot 10th March 2018 at 6:08 pm

Still think this is one of the most important blog posts I’ve ever read. Kudos!

• Reply Jennifer 10th March 2018 at 8:30 pm

I have to admit that I never thought much about accessibility until my father started using one in the last 10 years of his life. Then I became aware of how many stairs there were, especially those “decorative” one step or two steps. How frustrating to be just one stair away from anything. What is glaring, however, is how inaccessible most homes are. Most door frames don’t accommodate a wheelchair. My father was very lucky in that his best friends redid their house to accommodate his wheelchair so that he would be able to come and visit. Now that’s a friend.

• Reply Lorna 10th March 2018 at 8:35 pm

Means your Dad was a good friend, too.

• Reply Thewanderingdarlings 10th March 2018 at 11:15 pm

Couldn’t love this post anymore if I tried! Possibly my most favourite post of yours and such an awesome and raw post that needed to be said. The world is not an equal place (YET!) but it will soon be especially with posts like this and people like you. ? ps I bet your a speed demon on your wheels ?

• Reply Lorna 11th March 2018 at 10:44 am

Used to be pretty fast. Now I’m mini-van slow.

• Reply suzie81speaks 13th March 2018 at 10:47 am

I absolutely love this! I always respect your openness and honesty and you always give me things to think about that I have never considered before…

• Reply Lorna 13th March 2018 at 11:20 am

I love you, Suzie with a zed. 🙂

• Reply suzie81speaks 13th March 2018 at 11:28 am

Oh my god there’s a book title

• Reply Judy E Martin 31st March 2018 at 1:49 pm

I appreciate that you just want to get on and live your life like every one else, and it must be frustrating to have people patronise you or even worse, not even address you directly as if you are unable to understand them!

• Reply Unbound Roots 31st March 2018 at 8:08 pm

Lorna, I appreciate this post so very much. When I was a public school teacher 70% of my caseload was working with students with disabilities. Before this, I had very little experience being around people with disabilities. I worked this particular job for six years (before I decided to stay home to homeschool my children), and it was six years of probably the greatest learning in my life. That’s right, my young students taught me more than I ever taught them – I am positive. This post of yours does the same. Thank you for sharing your story and educating the many readers your post will reach.

• Reply Rock For Disability 6th April 2018 at 10:35 pm

Hi Lorna I wanted to let you know I’ve included this blog post on my latest blog post “10 Engaging disability and mental health blog posts”. Please feel free to like and share! Thanks, Emma 🙂 https://rockfordisability.com/2018/04/06/10-engaging-disability-and-mental-health-blog-posts/

• Reply Lorna 7th April 2018 at 7:30 am

Hi, Emma! Thank you for including my post. I’m on the road now, but I’ll share around when I get home tomorrow. Good to connect with you! Lorna

• Reply inspirationpie 21st April 2018 at 2:19 am

Awesome post, Lorna! Thank you for sharing your experience, it helps us all become more understand and better people 🙂

Jo-Ann

• Reply Ellen @ If It Brings You Joy 3rd May 2018 at 2:16 pm

Thanks for sharing your story, very interesting and helped me better understand. I had a small taste of accessibility issues with my elderly dad. We only went to restaurants that were wheelchair accessible, and I was amazed at how many restaurants are not wheelchair friendly.

• Reply Flossie 4th May 2018 at 2:35 am

Amen, sister!!! (though as someone who’s up to about 10% of her life on crutches, not to mention all the other braces and pins and surgeries and whatnot, you’re preaching to the choir here!) Wish this could be “required reading” for, oh, say, being a human being or living on planet Earth. LOVE LOVE LOVE

• Reply Flossie 4th May 2018 at 2:39 am

P.S. LOVE LOVE LOVE your purple chair, too! Maybe I should paint my crutches purple the next time I have to use them…

• Reply Janet Givens 11th September 2018 at 2:50 pm

“Don’t tell me that my life makes you examine what you take for granted.” I don’t understand this one. I grew up taking a wheelchair-bound uncle out to lunch. I learned early what some of the challenges are. Still, sometimes I forget. And you and others whose writings I follow help me remember.

• Reply Popping Wheelies 16th December 2018 at 5:32 pm

I arrived here from your Christmas Cow post. (Somehow I missed this one.) With my 25th Paraversary coming up in a few days, I’d like to say Amen to everything you said here. Every word!

• Reply Lorna 16th December 2018 at 5:36 pm

Thanks, George. Best wishes and solidarity.