Life Writing

It Was Nineteen Eighty-Something

9th November 2018

And so, I got two emails recently. One from a writer friend asking how NaNoWriMo is going, and one from another writer friend about a probably inaccessible writing retreat that promised to unleash my creativity.

Well. I got news.

My creativity is fine. I don’t need a writing retreat. What I need is a baby-sitter and a drink. And possibly someone to unplug the Netflix. Saying that, check out these 30 ways Netflix can improve your writing.

And so, I’m conflicted.

Not really.

I just need to use all the time I don’t sleep.

My writing excuses this week involve a bunch of family time and fireworks.

It was Bonfire Night on the 5th. And instead of going into the office when Neil left it, we all bundled up and went out.

Now, fireworks and my fright reflex have always been an interesting mix.

I like fireworks, but they kinda don’t like me.

As a kid, on the Fourth of July or at the local carnival or anywhere else that involved fireworks, I would kinda pop along with them. My butt would leave my seat or my ankles would twitch, and by the end I considered it a work out.

See, loud noises and I were never friends. I would use the lead up to the pop to work on not jumping when it popped. There’s a life lesson or something in there, but I haven’t figured it out yet.

And once I got used to the fireworks, I could actually enjoy them. Counted off people’s birthdays and waited for the ones that looked like pompoms.

Last week, after the bonfire went up, we turned around for the fireworks. I counted off birthdays and made wishes and swivelled between the fireworks and Isla’s face watching the fireworks.

They played 80s music during the display, which at the time I though was meant to be, but now realize it was a mix CD, or probably a  playlist. When did CDs get old, too?

Anyway, I was in a time warp the whole time. Instead of Isla on Neil’s shoulders, it was me on my Dad’s. Instead of Isla’s Twirl bar (which probably had more actual chocolate in it), it was a Milky Way that tasted like home.

I tried to get a photo of the fireworks, and couldn’t time it right, but this one of my family watching the bonfire was perfect.

I will happily be dragged backwards through a field in my wheelchair if it means Isla gets to see things, and I get to see Isla see things.

The night after that, we had coffee and cake at my Dad’s house on what would have been my Grandparents 75th wedding anniversary. Which reminded me that one of my long held writing goals is to write my grandparents love stories in some way.

Watch this space.

If you’re here for this week’s writing prompt roundup, Home, we have these thoughts:

Christine’s My Body Is My Home

Marian’s Home Is Where The Heart Is

Ritu’s Home Is Love

Ellen’s Hike To Freedom

Deb’s review of The Boggy Creek Show

Carol’s Homeward Bound

Rebecca’s writing to find the way home.

That last piece reminded me of something I wrote on Medium on what writing means to me. So there’s that, too.

This week’s prompt is #10! Thanks for sticking around for ten weeks of writing prompts. This week’s prompt is: Time warp.

Please add your words and link back to this post by Friday the 16th.

After next week I’ll be looking into ways you can add your own links to one weekly post.

Here’s to the next ten weeks!

• Reply Nicole 9th November 2018 at 9:14 pm

If I were any good at those overly complicated high-fiving secret handshakes, I’d so give you one right now. I relate to this so, so much. So much, in fact, that I actually started a blog post for this week’s prompt — perfectly timed, as it was, to coincide with the 30th anniversary of my move here — and then life intervened. It’s still sitting in an open tab in my browser.

I also have not one but two Nano books in progress. Who knows if I’ll finish either this year.

But…parenthood. Life. Ya know.

(I thought I was the only one with the fireworks. Good to know they bug someone else, too.)

• Reply Lorna 9th November 2018 at 9:23 pm

After this week, you don’t know how much your words mean to me, but it’s a lot. Thank you, Nicole. You keep writing, too.

• Reply John CR Duff 10th November 2018 at 12:28 am

Deep Smiles Count: I lost count. Tears Count: 2
    Wish Count: 1*
    *Will you ever write about your Middle Name Sake?
    Love Count: Countless
    X
    Dad

• Reply Lorna 10th November 2018 at 12:00 pm

I figured you could write that book. xox

• Reply debrapurdykong 10th November 2018 at 3:24 am

I’ve never been a fan of the noise of fireworks either, and my kids were the same, but like you, that didn’t stop us from enjoying watching fireworks here on Canada Day (July 1), albeit from a distance 🙂 Loved your photo!

• Reply raiswatirai 10th November 2018 at 6:11 am

My first time visiting you blog! Thoroughly enjoyed the description especially of your firecrackers’ memory… here in India, they are inescapable during a festival of lights calledDiwali… also the point about CDs getting old! IKR … keep posting! cheers ! 🙂

• Reply fancypaperblog 10th November 2018 at 9:49 am

I do think my husband and I would go through fire and storm to let the girls are things too. It is watching them watch- so magic.
    Babysitter and a drink required here too please.
    I have a feeling you are getting the writing some though…my spidey sense is tingling.

• Reply Rebecca Moon Ruark 10th November 2018 at 1:30 pm

Yes to the sitter and the drink! Wish we could share! Beautiful post and beautiful photo. Thank you. And I loved your piece on Medium too.

• Reply Ritu 10th November 2018 at 2:55 pm

Hey my lovely! Here’s mine!

• Reply Ritu 10th November 2018 at 2:56 pm

And I loved the shot of hubby and your daughter!!! Seeing them happy is what counts!

• Reply justmuddlingthroughlife 10th November 2018 at 11:15 pm

here is mine, love yours very much!

• Reply Debbie Harris 11th November 2018 at 1:48 am

This is a fun read Lorna and I love your memories entwined with Isla’s. I wrote this last week and it’s all about doing the Time Warp (in a fashion) so I’ve linked it up if that’s OK. Even the title of my post is from the actual real Time Warp 🙂 https://debs-world.com/2018/11/04/its-astounding-time-is-fleeting/

• Reply Susanne Swanson 12th November 2018 at 12:48 am

Another great prompt. Here’s my take on time warp. https://catsandtrailsandgardentales.com/2018/11/11/hood-canal-dosewallips-and-pleasant-harbor-a-journey-back/

• Reply nightwisprav3n 12th November 2018 at 6:38 am

I don’t get as much writing in as I would like either. I am also trying to participate in the #NaNoWriMo but haven’t gotten very far. I think family time is important though. Often times I am spending more time watching Netflix with my youngest rather than writing. #MMBC

• Reply rachaelstray 12th November 2018 at 4:36 pm

Keep writing Lorna. I’ve neglected my blog the last couple of weeks as work has been so demanding but I managed to write two posts on Sunday so feel like I am getting back on track hopefully!

• Reply Jayne SMABL 13th November 2018 at 5:54 pm

What a lovely family capture and a nice trip down memory lane for yourself.

Oh my days! A babysitter, a drink and Netflix is what makes the world go round! That’s #momgoals hehe 🙂

Thanks so much for sharing with #MMBC. I hope you can join us next week too! x