Uncategorized

Hello, My Name Is Lorna. I Have Piles.

1st February 2011

I have a confession to make.  I have piles.  Giant piles.  Really annoying piles.  There’s one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom, and several in the office.

I spent a good part of last week organising the flat, and this task has spilled into this week.  Because I rewarded myself with an eyebrow wax (well, both eyebrows, I don’t like to be uneven) and a trip to Starbucks on Friday.

With the help of my new people, several black bags and colour-coded folders, I have tackled my bathroom, my closet, both dressers and the office.  Every time I do this, it’s like I’ve been shopping for clothes and other groovy things I forgot I had.  Groovy things like pens and bookmarks, and my old passport.  Yesterday I found a rubber chicken in the office.  Sarge says it’s actually yet another bookmark.  He also says he should sort out ‘his half’ of the rooms, because it looks like the cyclone stopped short.

Going through this process, I’ve learned a few things:

1.        Black bags are my friends.

2.       There’s a couch in the office.

3.       I don’t need new clothes.

4.       I like being organised.

5.       Sarge’s ‘epic detritus’ sounds so much more eloquent than my ‘buncha crap.’

The unearthed rubber chicken.

I’m not going to show you my new, tamer purple and blue piles.  Nobody wants to see those.

• Reply broadsideblog 1st February 2011 at 2:26 pm

Oh yeah. I find all sorts of interesting things when I finally dig through it all. It’s finding/making the time to do so.

Although I know for sure there is no rubber chicken lurking anywhere in our apartment.

• Reply LKD 1st February 2011 at 2:47 pm

We’re wondering if we should name the chicken. 🙂

• Reply ohemgillie 1st February 2011 at 5:06 pm

Isn’t that Babs from Chicken Run?

• Reply LKD 1st February 2011 at 5:11 pm

That’s what I recently discovered! That’s it named, then! 🙂

• Reply misty 1st February 2011 at 7:06 pm

i am a really anally organized piler… my husband says I am a freak of nature, in that way. 🙂 Anyway, thanks for subscribing… 🙂

• Reply thereadingdate 1st February 2011 at 10:47 pm

Yes I agree that black bags are our friends! It feels good to get organized doesn’t it? Good idea to reward yourself after your hard work.

• Reply Fire Crystals 2nd February 2011 at 4:13 am

I don’t think you’d want to know what I first thought when I saw the heading of this post….even the first line was misleading. Then when you said that you had piles in every room, I immediately realised I had the wrong notion about ‘piles’.

• Reply tandcbakery 3rd February 2011 at 7:03 pm

I really need to be better organized, I to have piles lol

• Reply Laura 6th February 2011 at 5:41 pm

If you’re interested, take a look over at my blog – I’m having a weekly decluttering series in to help myself and others clean out an area of their home each week! So glad to hear you’ve tackled those piles, though! 😀

• Reply Camilla 10th February 2011 at 4:58 am

I have piles too! And, your post makes me feel better about forgetting the color of the couch in my room which has for the past month been under piles of clothes, shoes, binders, miscellaneous toiletries, etc. Anyhow, you have inspired me to transform my room from organized messiness to just plain clean.

• Reply My Life As A Desk | Gin & Lemonade 28th February 2011 at 3:05 pm

[…] bookmark.  Found with the rubber chicken on the day I had piles. It isn’t in a book, because I read too quickly to need […]

• Reply Give Me Your Best Shot « Gin & Lemonade 28th December 2011 at 4:32 pm