Uncategorized

Going Home

25th July 2011

‘Is the chair coming off?’ the bus-driver asked Sarge.

‘No,’ I said ‘I thought I’d leave the chair here and walk off myself.  Have a nice day.’  And I went down the ramp.

Two more ramps and I was on a train to Glasgow.  As I dug my book out of my backpack, I realised this was the first time I’d done such a trip without Sarge.  And I began to miss him, because I am sap.

I had plans to meet friends and camp out in the pub before spending the night at my Dad’s.  Another ramp and I was at the bar.

‘Framboise, please.’

‘What flavour?’

Perhaps because I am a word-nerd and a beer-snob, I might have laughed.

‘Um.  Raspberry.’  And then I read a sign that said the pub would be closing at the exact time I was meeting my friends.  Maybe I shouldn’t have laughed.

I drank my raspberry beer, and I waited.  Nobody else was in a hurry to leave.  I may have actually looked up at the sky through the trees and said ‘I’m home.’  My friends arrived, and then another one.  Then we got the chair and ourselves into a rather small car and went somewhere else.  I told the story of how last year four people and the chair jig-sawed into a Fiat.  And off we went.  Good times.

The next place wasn’t closing, so we got dinner.  I kept noticing things on the menu that Sarge liked.

‘I miss him.  Is that weird?’

‘Yes.  But no.  But yes.  More drink?’

‘Yes!’

We ate, and drank.  And I swear peanut-butter cheesecake was cosmically placed on the menu just for me.  Because my cheese-phobic boyfriend wasn’t there.  Of course I ordered it, but I couldn’t finish it.  I might have shed a tear.

At one point, my best friend knocked over my drink in a frenzy when her boyfriend walked through the door.  Now. I cannot truthfully say that I don’t spill, drop or otherwise despatch my unfinished drinks sometimes, Sarge or no Sarge.  But as I laughed and dabbed my vodka-soaked thigh, I asked my friends, ‘Are we that bad?’  I knew they’d speak the truth.

‘Worse.  You guys are worse.  But we love you.’

And that’s the truth.

We decided to do shots.  For purely practical reasons.   There is less for me to spill.  I’m not co-ordinated enough to do tequila justice.  There are too many steps.  I do the salt and the licking in the wrong order.  It makes me nervous.  So I was on the B52s, which has only one step.

Sarge texted that he was bored and working late.  He wanted vicarious excitement.  I texted back:  Doing shots and discussing rules of grammar.  Does that work?

My friends are cool.

After arguing semi-colons; I asked if anybody wanted to come back to my Dad’s; so I could beat them at Poker.  It was easier to get the chair in the car the second time round.  The designated driver drove his sister and me to my Dad’s house.  We talked about ethics and equality and the merits of good tequila until early in the morning.

My Dad’s cool, too.

Later that day, I went up another ramp into the taxi to the train station.

‘Where do you come from?’

‘Here,’ I said.

‘Where you going?’

‘Home,’ said.

This seemed to confuse the driver, who changed the subject to the weather.

I was browsing the books at Waverly, when Sarge says, ‘I thought I’d find you with the books.’

I was home again.

Home isn’t just one place, because some people have lots of places.  Home is the people waiting for you when you get there.

• Reply She.Is.Just.A.Rat 25th July 2011 at 3:53 pm

Raspberry beer and peanut butter cheesecake? I’m in!

Also, discussing semi-colons sounds like something that should be done in a hipster romantic comedy.

Don’t you just love coming home to your friends? Sometimes it’s like you never parted in the first place…

• Reply LKD 25th July 2011 at 4:02 pm

These are a few of my favourite things… 🙂

• Reply Julie Jordan Scott 25th July 2011 at 4:56 pm

I love thinking of you arguing semi-colons. LOL. The things we argue over drinks. I argued over the pure joy of hanging out in a place that attracts hillbillies. Love IT! tee hee hee hee. Great, as always, to read your words.

• Reply LKD 28th July 2011 at 10:14 pm

I love your words, too!

• Reply urbannight 25th July 2011 at 5:59 pm

Going back to my folk’s place feels very much like home, until I go down off the mountian. A town that jumped from 5,000 people when I graduated to 25,000 now is no longer the same place.

I like to argue that there are certain grammar rules that were arbitrarily added to try to force English into Latin grammar patterns. Even though some of those grammar tendencies were part of the very nature of the English language. We ought to be able to use them in the way apropriate to the language.

• Reply DB York 26th July 2011 at 12:54 am

You are part of my home 🙂 Miss you!

• Reply LKD 28th July 2011 at 10:05 pm

And you are part of mine. Miss you, too.

• Reply Pizza Cottontail 26th July 2011 at 2:12 am

Welcome home! I’d love to join in a punctuation debate. If you’re feeling a tad semicolon weary, perhaps you’d be up for a discussion about the merits of the em dash.

• Reply LKD 28th July 2011 at 10:12 pm

Dashes are too long – I prefer parentheses. (Or something.)

• Reply Carol 26th July 2011 at 5:00 pm

You got it, right on the head! Home is where people are waiting for you. Home can be many places, if those people are there.

• Reply LKD 28th July 2011 at 10:00 pm

Hello, Carol! Nice to see you again!

• Reply Miriam 29th July 2011 at 1:40 pm

I love this post, it’s so sweet! I’ve been away to Italy with my orchestra and my friend Jill’s boyfriend had given her his teddy bear from when he was a baby to remind her of him. He told her to hug it when she missed him. I thought that was so sweet; this post reminded me of it. And the grammar thing? Yeah, we do that too.

• Reply LKD 29th July 2011 at 1:55 pm

When I first read this, I didn’t know who you were. I then I did! Hello! Hope you enjoyed Italy. I so want to go back!

• Reply Miriam 29th July 2011 at 4:15 pm

Yeah, sorry, I changed my display name to my real name instead of my web name 🙂 Haven’t commented in a while because I read posts through my emails and it’s best not to push my laptop too far … actually opening web pages? What? 😉 I’ve called it ‘Rory Williams’ because it dies so often… (Doctor Who reference, by the way)

• Reply LKD 29th July 2011 at 4:35 pm

Don’t apologise, ha! It is, after all, your name. (Which I like, by the way.)

• Reply Give Me Your Best Shot « Gin & Lemonade 28th December 2011 at 4:32 pm

[…] July, I went back to Glasgow for laughs and cheesecake, and came back to Edinburgh and got locked in a […]