On The Road Travel

On The Road: Cambridge

23rd January 2012

Edinburgh — Peterborough – Cambridge — Peterborough — Edinburgh

We boarded the train with two backpacks, my butterfly bag and George Bailey-Penguin, our travel mascot.

I like train travel, and have come to accept the sometimes not-so-faint whiff of piss as part of the journey.

This time, I ignored it by reading Three To Get Deadly and eating chocolate-covered popcorn.

One hundred and fifty pages and an empty bag later, we arrived in Peterborough to catch the train to Cambridge.  The only thing possibly worthy of note is the fact that there was a wheelbarrow in the accessible toilet.

After one more, much shorter train journey, we met the wonderful Emily from Emily Drinking Tea and her equally wonderful husband and went off in the direction of their local pub where I broke my self-imposed no cider rule and had some lovely ice-cream.

On the way to their house afterwards, I lost count of the number of cyclists whizzing past, and we met a hedgehog not going nearly as fast.  It was all very quaint.

Now, our friends have a very lovely, but very narrow  house.  After we squeezed the chair in the front door, I found myself with an actual gin and lemonade in my hand.  It must have been a strong one, because I fell asleep watching The Thick of It, only waking up to actually drag ass up the stairs and check out their incongruously large bathroom.

The next morning, there was really strong coffee and Emily’s homemade bagels.

We took the scenic route into town along the river, and met Sarge’s friends for what turned out to be lunch, before getting lost in a bookshop.

Sarge and I came out with a pretty good combined haul and I may have taken some photos of the sky.  I do that when I’m happy.

We had really good Indian take-away and Emily’s homemade raspberry strudel, and I discovered my new favourite drink when elderflower cordial was added to  another gin and lemonade.  I might have pretended I was Anne Shirley for a moment.

We stayed up until one o’clock and I really did fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

The next morning, we finished off the bagels and watched Mr Cat enthralled with an iPad.

Too soon, it was up a taxi ramp and time for a backwards goodbye.  Our train snacks didn’t taste as good this time.  But I did start and finish The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop.

Sarge and I arrived in Edinburgh and scrambled our stuff.

‘Where’s your butterfly bag?’ asked Sarge.

‘Stuffed in your bag.’

‘No, it isn’t.’

‘I thought you had it.’

‘Well, I thought you had it.’

Luckily I’d given Sarge my phone, which is probably why I forgot my bag.  After something akin to the scene where they realise Kevin is Home Alone, I texted Emily and asked her to have a look around, hoping it was safely upstairs.  It was.  And now it’s in the post.

I arrived home feeling lighter.  Maybe it was the lovely trip.   Maybe because I was bagless.  Maybe both.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

• Reply becomingcliche 23rd January 2012 at 7:33 pm

Sounds like a perfect day! Except for the wheelbarrow part. Maybe it needed to pee?

• Reply LKD 23rd January 2012 at 11:08 pm

It was a wonderful weekend! I do know that accessible toilets are sometimes (wrongly) used as extra storage cupboards, but this was a new one on me!

• Reply Kimberly 23rd January 2012 at 8:57 pm

I like your slideshow!

• Reply LKD 23rd January 2012 at 11:09 pm

Thanks, Kimberly! I hope you keep reading!

• Reply Karen 24th January 2012 at 4:59 am

Your photos are fantastic! I wish I’d tried a gin ‘n lemonade back in the days when I was drinking….sounds good. 🙂

• Reply madamesaslow 24th January 2012 at 5:12 am

I’ve been eating bagels, but now I want to MAKE bagels. The ones currently in my house, though 100% whole wheat, are the inferior store-bought kind.

• Reply bingsy baby 24th January 2012 at 5:52 am

LIfe would be so much better if everyone had a friend that made homemade bagels and coffee. Well I mean specifically if I had a friend that made homemade bagels and coffee. Sounds like a great time, and I always think train travel is so romantic sans the faint pee smell.

• Reply LKD 24th January 2012 at 12:05 pm

Come visit us and Sarge will make you zombie coffee!

• Reply Exiled Star 24th January 2012 at 12:54 pm

I like that twilight sky photo in particular.

There’s only one thing about this blog theme (Skeptical) which bugs me, and it’s that you can’t click right under the post to leave a comment. Having the comment thing way over on the left feels unnatural to me.

Silly WordPress themes. So many of them are ALMOST perfect, but have some kind of annoying detail.

• Reply LKD 9th February 2012 at 11:14 am

I’m finding this new theme a bit busy. We shall see!

• Reply Carol 24th January 2012 at 5:02 pm

Train travel is good as long as the trip is short enough that you don’t have to try to get a night’s sleep in those seats – although they have more legroom than an airplane does anymore. Sounds like a neat trip.

• Reply Simply Sugar 24th January 2012 at 11:37 pm

Thanks for taking me along on the trip … but someone ate my bagel:)

• Reply Laura 29th January 2012 at 1:15 am

I am giving you the 7×7 award 🙂 http://cheesecakesummer.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/7-x-7-sunshine/

• Reply 4amWriter 29th January 2012 at 6:03 pm

Fun, peaceful, lovely post. It’s wonderful when you can write about days where even the glitches aren’t so bad.

• Reply dianeledet 8th February 2012 at 8:54 pm

Your post made me wish to take a train trip! I also appreciated the Anne Shirley reference. Lovely.

• Reply Suzanne [globalhousesitterX2] 22nd March 2018 at 9:11 am

Enjoy train trips, though totally dislike that sinking feeling of leaving something behind!! The joys of travelling 🙂

• Reply angelanoelauthor 22nd March 2018 at 12:20 pm

Okay, homemade bagels and strudel? Emily is clearly a wizard. This sounds like a lovely trip. I always like the little details you notice and share–the wheelbarrow, the hedgehog etc. These are the gems of your posts, I think.

• Reply Lorna 22nd March 2018 at 1:31 pm

We’re seeing Em again today. I’ll tell her she’s a wizard!