Uncategorized

A Blessing Of Flames

18th June 2012

My new favourite sound is the pop of a champagne cork.  There was lots of popping this weekend to officially celebrate the engagement of The Butterfly and The Penguin.  Saturday saw 364 days until the wedding.  Not even a little rain could damper our mood or the bonfire.

Sarge’s best man has a burning twice year.  Bits of wood and old furniture go up in flames in the name of friendship and film references.  This time, we called it an Engagement Burning and toasted marshmallows and bubbly.

A lot of the photos featured a chicken hat.  And me stuffing my face.  When I wasn’t eating, I was laughing.  Or exclaiming ‘I’m getting freakin’ married’, at which point I would hug Sarge. Or a member of the Bridal Crew.  Or my Dad.  Whoever was with closer.

At various points during the day, I thought of people who couldn’t be there.  And I had a moment for each of them.  And then we got serenaded under a gazebo by the only friend I have who has curlier hair than I do.

Dad wore his beard hat, which looks surprisingly like his own beard.  There in the rain with Dad on one side and Sarge on the other I thought, best day ever.  And then Dad said, ‘I’ll be alright.’

‘Yes.  Best day ever,’ I said aloud.

‘So far,’ said Sarge.

Most people left to catch the last train, but there was dancing and singing in the living-room until 3 AM.   Everything from Queen to Edith Piaf to Starship.  And nostalgia mixed with YouTube and cider results in The Macarena.

‘Lorna, turn off the video.’

‘It’s not on.  Iforgottopressthebutton.’

The next day, after coming home with cards and flowers and a patched up flat tire, the conversation went something like this:

‘If you delete the video, I’ll delete that photo of you and the marshmallow skewer,’ said Sarge.

‘Deal,’ I said.

Our relationship is based on love, respect and lack of blackmail evidence.

Photos courtesy of my future sister-in-law and FotoRus.

• Reply Sarah Levis (@GirlWithTheCane) 18th June 2012 at 1:58 pm

Sounds wonderful. You’re making me cry again, lol (a good cry this time!)

• Reply LKD 18th June 2012 at 2:35 pm

It was amazing! Happy tears are good tears!

• Reply lahgitana 18th June 2012 at 2:57 pm

thank you for that last clause…. !! >:-D excellent!

• Reply LKD 18th June 2012 at 4:25 pm

True words!

• Reply Hippie Cahier 18th June 2012 at 11:12 pm

I love the sound of a champagne cork. And the smell and crackle of a bonfire. And everything about this story!

If you delete the video, I’ll delete that photo of you and the marshmallow skewer. That should its way into your vows, methinks. 🙂

• Reply tanya @ moms small victories 19th June 2012 at 5:54 pm

last line is hilarious, I’ve been happily married for over a decade, lack of blackmail evidence is key 🙂
    visiting from SITS forum but I follow you on twitter too! congrats to you and sarge. someone told me after my engagement, “if you can make it through planning a wedding, you can make it through anything”! so true!! 🙂

• Reply Laura 20th June 2012 at 4:43 am

So sweet! I need to have a burning party!

• Reply Miriam Joy 22nd June 2012 at 1:46 pm

Ah! I’ve found your blog again!
    For some time I’ve been wondering what happened to it because I wasn’t getting email subscriptions any more, even though I’ve been following it for about 2 years. But I kept forgetting to look into it. Now I’ve discovered your posts have been coming up in my ‘subscriptions’ tab on WordPress – which I never look at, because I rely on email updates. I’ll have to resubscribe by email… sorry I’ve been gone from your comments for so long, ha ha!

• Reply LKD 22nd June 2012 at 3:40 pm

Was wondering where you’d gone! Glad you’re back.

• Reply Miriam Joy 22nd June 2012 at 3:45 pm

This has happened to me more than once recently – I think WordPress went crazy a while back and ate all my subscriptions 😀 Should be sorted now, though!

• Reply Alison@Mama Wants This 23rd June 2012 at 12:44 pm

Oh, sounds like such a wonderful, beautiful, love-filled day! Congratulations on your engagement!

Stopping by from SITS Sharefest.

• Reply Weather Anchor Mama 23rd June 2012 at 3:00 pm

Hey there! Visiting from Sits! Congrats on the engagement. Seems like you guys had a great time. It reminds me of mine, although were didn’t dance or had a fire. Yours seem way more fun!:)

• Reply misssrobin 24th June 2012 at 5:01 am

Beautiful post! Congratulations.

Stopping by from SITS. Have a great weekend.

• Reply Two Years Of Shots | Gin & Lemonade 10th August 2012 at 10:02 am

[…] year, so far.  I proposed to Sarge, and then my Dad got cancer.  Dad celebrated our engagement by wearing a beard hat and burning stuff.  Including cancer cells.  And I missed my grandparents.  Some things never […]

• Reply A Certain Rite of Passage | Gin & Lemonade 16th December 2012 at 2:14 pm

[…] marked 6 months until the wedding.  Sarge and I celebrated by opening some sparkly from the engagement party and watching a double-bill of The Usual Suspects and Mixed Nuts.  Guess which one was my […]

• Reply 2012: The Year That Was | Gin & Lemonade 22nd December 2012 at 2:21 pm

[…] engagement party also saw the beginning of Dad’s treatment. We burned things to celebrate both. And part of that treatment involved writing our invitations. Thank you, […]