Uncategorized

Top Ten Tuesday: Stacked For The Summer

19th June 2012

I have no business going to the library.  Or maybe I should work at one.

The self-imposed book-buying ban is still on.  Sometimes it slips off.  Such a tease.

I got three more books from the library yesterday, and this is how I’m stacked for summer reading:

20120619-194243.jpg

The Family Fang

The Echo Chamber

Dandelion Wine

The Psychopath Test

Cat’s Cradle

The Magicians

A Discovery of Witches

Moneyball

The Best of Everything

Dear Scott, Dearest Zelda

I’d also like to finish American Gods, Cat’s Eye and Kafka on the Shore.

And maybe I should work on a summer writing list.

What will you be reading this summer?

(Post inspired by The Broke and the Bookish.)

• Reply TrishaDM 19th June 2012 at 8:32 pm

A friend of mine just finished A Discovery of Witches and said it was really good! I am still torn as to whether or not I will read it soon or wait until I get through a few more on the TBR list first. Great list!

• Reply pamasaurus 19th June 2012 at 8:45 pm

I’m working on rereading the Odd Thomas Series because the new book is set to come out next month 😀

• Reply Alison 19th June 2012 at 8:48 pm

The Magicians is good but dark. Hope you enjoy it!

• Reply Cassie 19th June 2012 at 9:37 pm

I just bought Dandelion Wine because I was searching for flower quotes and came across a million from Ray Bradbury in that book and I thought that would be the perfect remembrance for me to Ray Bradbury. However, I shouldn’t have bought it because like you I have no business buying books at all. You should see my car, it’s almost a book mobile.

• Reply becomingcliche 19th June 2012 at 10:28 pm

I hated Discovery of Witches. It was baaaaaad Twilight. When the protagonist was nearly killed, her boyfriend whisked her off to yoga to deal with it. Um, yeah. I laughed a lot, and not in the intentionally funny way.

• Reply LKD 22nd June 2012 at 5:03 pm

I actually thought of you when I checked it out!

• Reply Karen 19th June 2012 at 11:33 pm

In addition to the remaining two books of the Steig Larsson series & The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, I just picked up Game of Thrones…book #1 🙂 WooHoo!! Happy Reading!!

• Reply Hippie Cahier 20th June 2012 at 12:29 am

I hope Dear Scott, Dearest Zelda is wonderful. Please do tell.

• Reply dbyorkwriterk 20th June 2012 at 3:43 am

I got a bunch of stuff out of storage, a random mix of smut & not smut. I’m working my way through Mr. G right now, which is making me want to finish my science degree, and Aunt Dimity Slays the Dragon, which is an adorable mystery. I have Super Sad True Love Story waiting for me, so I will let you know what I think when I dig in!

• Reply LKD 22nd June 2012 at 5:08 pm

I am half-way through SSTLS Story, don’t want it to end!

• Reply wingedcreature 20th June 2012 at 5:23 am

I liked your list! Although the stack of books you have from the library reminds me of the one I’m going to have once all the books I requested come in. I’m currently reading Cinder by Marissa Meyer, and I’m really enjoying it so far.

• Reply Sara 20th June 2012 at 7:21 am

To me, The Magicians read like Harry Potter on ADD in parts. I’m curious as to what you think.

• Reply LKD 22nd June 2012 at 5:05 pm

Or speed.

I started it yesterday, I’m just getting into it now. Stay tuned!

• Reply organizedisland 20th June 2012 at 2:39 pm

Ooh! Don’t you just love a stack of unread books? My stack has Unbroken, The Beach Trees and The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. Now to find time to read…..

• Reply Stephanie @ PinkPeacockDesignStudio 20th June 2012 at 4:16 pm

Libraries are like book stores. But you don’t have to pay for the books, which makes them even better! Win win any way you look at it 🙂

• Reply Madame Weebles 20th June 2012 at 5:49 pm

Nice haul! And I too would like to know how Dear Scott, Dear Zelda is.

• Reply LKD 20th June 2012 at 6:46 pm

I should point out that only two of those are library books. Our public library isn’t very good, but the one in our house is ace!

• Reply calypte 20th June 2012 at 7:54 pm

That stack should last you all of five minutes! 😉 I’m totally the same re libraries – TON of unread books on my shelves and I still can’t resist the urge to pick up a random title, either from the library (I just popped in to renew my card, honest!) or the free kindle downloads. Argh!! 😉

• Reply Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog 20th June 2012 at 8:54 pm

I wish I would have read Moneyball before I watched the movie. The movie was terrific, though.

• Reply MikesFilmTalk 21st June 2012 at 11:22 am

Thanks for stopping by and a: liking my post and b: following my blog! I just have to tell you that out of your list, Dandelion Wine is a personal favourite. It’s a brilliant slice of Bradbury and worth every minute you spend reading it. Enjoy!

• Reply Taryn 22nd June 2012 at 6:46 am

Yay, thanks for this! I’ve been looking for summer reading recommendations.
    p.s. Cat’s Eye is one of my favourite books (I love Margaret Atwood), hope you pick it up again!

• Reply alittlebirdtweets 22nd June 2012 at 11:53 pm

A wonderful stack of books you have there! I am nearing the end of ‘Her Fearful Symmetry’ by Audrey Niffennegger. It’s dark and beautiful! I love to delve into charity shops and find new books – I have found some very interesting reads in the past 🙂

• Reply Tanya @ Mom's small Victories 23rd June 2012 at 12:59 pm

Sounds like a library job would be perfect for you. I’m not a fast reader but I prefer the library as well and end up pulling books from authors I want to read that I’ve never heard of. This list looks interesting, I haven’t heard of them besides Moneyball. Happy reading!

• Reply RubberChickenMa (@RubberChickenMa) 23rd June 2012 at 1:43 pm

Love your stack…my stack for the summer is always upper elementary and YA titles for next year (job related hazard)…one day, probably the day I retire, I’ll be headed to the library for a stack of what I want to read. 🙂

• Reply c @ annuary chit 23rd June 2012 at 2:05 pm

Nice stack! I’ve had my sister’s Martian Chronicles for months but haven’t got to start it yet so no Dandelion Wine for me till then. I’m going through all my shelves I say to clean them up but that’s really a lie.

I’m starting with some of my childhood faves, like Leo the Lop, Moss Gown, and Fern Gully.

Visiting from SITS have a nice weekend

• Reply darkjade68 30th June 2012 at 1:06 am

Hey I just wanted to say Thanks For Following The Dark Globe… June was Follower Appreciation Month, you should Check it out

DarkJade-