Books Humor Reading

25 Bookish Things About Me

23rd June 2017
  1.  I am a flippant reader.  As soon as I read about a book that intrigues me, I MUST READ IT RIGHT NOW.  This leads to lots of piles.  Of books in various stages of readedness.  If a book grips me enough not to read anything else along  with it, that’s a GOOD THING.
  2. I usually have several books on the go.  A day book, a night book, a car book.
  3. Day books happen on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  4. Audiobooks happen on road-trips.
  5. I have a thing for debut authors.
  6. I am a kindle convert.
  7. Netgalley.  Kinda obsessed.
  8. I have these notions that I will finish all the books in any given series.  It never happens in real life.
  9. Go-to genres are literary fiction, mystery/thrillers and lately YA.
  10. Before you ask, I hated Gone Girl.
  11. Auto-buys are Paul Auster, Alice Hoffman, Anne Tyler, and Dave Eggers.
  12. Dysfunctional families are my beloveds.
  13. I like legal/crime non-fiction.
  14. And funny memoirs.
  15. But I no longer have time for depressing-yet-ultimately-uplifting or triumphing over any sort of adversity.  Go away.
  16. I like books about books.
  17. I read longer books in the winter.
  18. My reading snacks are coffee and popcorn.
  19. I used to prefer paperbacks to hardbacks, but these days I don’t care.
  20. I hate book jackets.
  21. I miss my bookgroups and want to join another.
  22. My book cases are triple-stacked.  And changing things up is like shopping.

img_1298

New and old books.  A recent shelf re-shuffle means a longer TBR list.

23. If I have it, you can borrow it.
  24. But if you interrupt me in the last 30 pages, I will actually cut you.
  25. And sometimes, I read the last page first.  This does not make me a heathen.

What are your bookish things?  What are you reading?  And what do you think I should read?

• Reply Nicole 23rd June 2017 at 7:49 pm

15 and 20 made me 🙂

And I must do a list of my own. Once I take off the editor hat, anyway. Provided it’s not permanently attached to my hair by now. Long week.

• Reply Lorna 23rd June 2017 at 9:13 pm

I love to read your lists. Have a drink and write it. <3

• Reply Carrie Rubin 23rd June 2017 at 8:07 pm

I loved Gone Girl but didn’t really enjoy Flynn’s other books. I prefer reading a paper book, but I love the Kindle app on my iPad for traveling and for walking on the treadmill. Oh, and I also don’t want to be interrupted in the last 30 pages of a book, but I probably won’t cut the interrupter. Well, I can’t make any promises. 😉

• Reply Lorna 23rd June 2017 at 10:28 pm

Sharp Objects was OK, maybe, ha.

• Reply Carrie Rubin 23rd June 2017 at 10:46 pm

Good story. Just so many unlikable characters. I guess too many books like that leave me dreary.

• Reply Kristi 23rd June 2017 at 8:51 pm

Hello from former bookgroup! What’s the Kurkov in that picture? I have The Bickford Fuse in the queue but haven’t started it yet. Some of my bookish things are that a) I read multiple books at once, usually of different genres. b) now that I have a tablet with a kindle app, I also usually have an e-book on the go to add to the mix; c) when I see books I love at booksales or shops, I often feel compelled to buy them again, but am usually able to resist.

Have you read Megan Abbott?

• Reply Lorna 23rd June 2017 at 9:05 pm

The Milkman in The Night. Neil’s mad because there’s no penguins in it, though. Haven’t read Megan Abbot, yet. You Will Know Me is on the kindle, though. Have you read that one?

• Reply Kristi 1st July 2017 at 10:06 pm

I’m reading it just now, in paper form and liking it. Once it gets rolling, it’s quite tense. But of her books, I particularly like The End of Everything and the Fever.

I’m a big Kurkov fan generally, penguins or not!

• Reply Carol 23rd June 2017 at 11:02 pm

Since I found e-books, hate to hold paper books. It’s really a lifesaver if I doze with an e-book because it knows where I was. I use my iPad, but almost always Kindle books. One at a time or I would be hopelessly lost, and cheap books from BookBub most often. That way if it doesn’t grab me quickly I can toss it. Taking me forever to read All the Light we Cannot See.

• Reply Angela 24th June 2017 at 4:22 am

I love the option for kindle books, but if I’m really into a book, I prefer to hold the actual book in my hand.. I love being able to download books right away, though.

I also avoid really depressing books. I’ve avoided several that people have raved over, for that reason. I don’t know why I tuned into This is Us (TV show), when they promise that people will cry.

I also tend to get in a pile of books, and then lose interest until they have to go back. I never used to be that way.

• Reply SickChristine 24th June 2017 at 2:49 pm

Yeah, Gone Girl was a little infuriating. Did you like The Girl on the Train?

• Reply Lorna 26th June 2017 at 1:37 pm

I hated it less than Gone Girl.

• Reply Jackie Cangro 24th June 2017 at 4:27 pm

#12 — Check out The Gypsy Moth Summer by (my former workshop instructor) Julia Fierro. Takes place in a fictional town in Long Island. (Not ultimately uplifting!)

#16 — Total sucker for books about books. Did you read The Storied Life of AJ Fikry?

• Reply Lorna 26th June 2017 at 1:41 pm

I still think about AJ, ha! I shall check out Gypsy Moth Summer. Sounds pretty good.

• Reply 25 Bookish Things About Me – Any Given Sundry Too 24th June 2017 at 5:27 pm

[…] Thanks to LKD over at Gin & Lemonade – With a Twist for inadvertently giving me a really fun writing exercise for this lovely Saturday morning. You can read her elegant and funny list by clicking HERE. […]

• Reply Sundry 24th June 2017 at 5:54 pm

I love your funny, smart list. Thanks for giving me a writing prompt for today that I really enjoyed. I did my own list and stole your title, natch! 😀

• Reply Ritu 25th June 2017 at 9:00 am

Oh we all have our special book ways lol!

• Reply Jo (Fallen Angel) 25th June 2017 at 9:03 am

Love your list! I liked Gone Girl up to a certain point and then I thought it got more ridiculous. By the end I was very angry!

I, too, have piles of books waiting to be read. I’ll work my way through them eventually!

• Reply mypeacockbooks 25th June 2017 at 9:06 am

Lol I could never read the last page of a book first, but love rearranging my books and sniffing them – I like the papery smell !!

• Reply shelleywilson72 25th June 2017 at 9:32 am

Yay to popcorn as a suitable reading snack!! I’m an avid YA reader (and writer!!) and find it hard to read ‘grown up’ books sometimes. Although I do love a good horror or apocalyptic novel every now and then 😉

• Reply thebeasley 25th June 2017 at 11:46 am

I’m reading All the Light we Cannot See at the moment!

• Reply emfletche 25th June 2017 at 5:45 pm

Oh that’s a great book! I’m currently reading Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan, another great WWII read 🙂

• Reply anhistorianabouttown 25th June 2017 at 1:35 pm

I’ve usually got 3-4 books on the go- a nonfiction history or biography, a cozy mystery, a fiction, and whatever else strikes me. One of those is always an audiobook- I have a good length commute, and it makes the driving go faster. Depending on the day, my tastes can drastically change but I do seem to go through blips of one genre or another. (No science fiction for me!) My main book is a survey of Georgian England, and as a historian, I am loving it!! Also, I love this idea for a post, very cool 🙂

• Reply lindahobden 25th June 2017 at 3:01 pm

I wasn’t a Gone Girl fan either!! 😜 Great list!

• Reply angelanoelauthor 25th June 2017 at 5:01 pm

OOH! Read All the Lights We Cannot See, if you haven’t already. Haley’s totally right about that. I just finished Looking for Alaska by John Green. I read it on a four hour flight cover to cover–so you’ll devour it before you finish your second cup of coffee. It’s YA because the protagonists are teens, but there’s some goodness there that every adult should probably tuck away and think about awhile. I also love your penchant for debut authors. That makes me hopeful that someday, when my novel is finally published, people like you will want to read it!

• Reply Pam Avoledo 25th June 2017 at 5:17 pm

Another last page person! If I’m making a weekly or monthly investment in a book, I want to know how it ends. 🙂 Great list.

• Reply Diana Frajman 25th June 2017 at 5:35 pm

I love this list. It could be mine, except #18 would be red wine and dark chocolate. I like to sip and savour my snacks while reading which is quite the opposite of how I like to read. That is full on devour 🙂

• Reply emfletche 25th June 2017 at 5:46 pm

Great list and I agree with so many of your points! I always have at least three books on the go, 2 on the kindle and one paperback. I missed reading for fun when I was doing my degree so I’m making up for it now!

• Reply Lucy Mitchell 25th June 2017 at 6:34 pm

Love this fab post! Its so great reading about bookish habits. I mainly sniff and bend 🙂 LOL

• Reply actualconversationswithmyhusband 25th June 2017 at 7:08 pm

#20 I actually blurted out, “Right?!?! Aren’t they the worst?” I almost knocked over my water, flailing my arms.

But then #23 had me shaking my head violently, because I do not loan books. Sorry. Nope. Other people don’t know how to read books properly, and they bend the spine or wrinkle the pages or get them wet… I thought I’d found a kindred spirit once, a friend who swore she agreed with me and hated it when people cracked the spines or bent pages, so I loaned her a paperback. The first thing she did? Curled the cover around the back of the book! Right in front of me! I don’t loan books anymore (except ebooks… because even if you read it in the bathtub I get my book back exactly as I last saw it). .

• Reply Lorna 28th June 2017 at 3:05 pm

But I do love the new clothish hardbacks happening recently. Kinda wanna pet them all!

• Reply Julie 25th June 2017 at 10:14 pm

I just swiped The Artisan Soul from my daughter’s bookcase. Hoping for inspiration.

• Reply Lorna 28th June 2017 at 3:11 pm

Just looked it up. On the list now. Thank you!

• Reply Julie 28th June 2017 at 4:04 pm

I like the premise – that we are all creative because we all bear the image of the Creator, but I got quickly bored because the author repeats himself. Could use a once or twice over by a good editor. But you might like it. 🙂

• Reply Lorna 28th June 2017 at 4:20 pm

Not now, didn’t read down far enough. Clever/sneaky marketing, I s’pose. 🙂

• Reply hazmatt 26th June 2017 at 3:53 am

I normally have books placed in strategic places. Some placed on the nightstand for those last thirty minutes before going to sleep, some on the coffee table for easy access while lounging, and audio books for the long trips. I definitely prefer print books to electronic forms.

• Reply globalhousesitterX2 26th June 2017 at 2:20 pm

Reading another humorous novel by Bill Bryson. Unfortunately, of late I tend to fall asleep reading which makes finishing a long process!

• Reply 25 things for the books – An Entertaining Mess 28th June 2017 at 12:30 pm

[…] friend Lorna did this post about books, and I wanted to do one too. Because list posts are apparently my thing. And me and books go way […]

• Reply folksysnippets 1st July 2017 at 3:05 pm

I can relate to most of it. And although I haven’t read Gone Girl I really enjoyed the movie. I am more of a distracted reader, so yes, I take a lot of time getting comfortable before actually starting to read a book. I might stop in between to drink water or grab a snack or smell the book and inspect its binding and the texture of the pages. Also, just like you mentioned, I too have several books on the go. I am currently reading a play by Tennessee Williams, Sputnik Sweetheart by Murakami, and Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. You should definitely try these books sometime.

• Reply Temidayo 5th July 2017 at 10:56 am

I couldn’t help but ask, what was it about Gone Girl that made you hate it? I didn’t read the book but I watched the movie and LOVED it!

• Reply Lorna 5th July 2017 at 2:12 pm

I disagreed with some of Amy’s motivation/reasoning behind why she did what she did.

• Reply Temidayo 5th July 2017 at 4:33 pm

Okay, fair enough.

• Reply gemmaorton 28th September 2017 at 7:45 pm

The ending of Gone Girl *angry face*!

You actually really sometimes read the last past first?!